Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Been thinking about a new super

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Does a bear shit in the woods?
Heck yeah it can be done, the MiniClod locker could easily be adapted to the Super 300's and made wider.
I'm gonna start getting parts together.......
I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Are they done yet
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #82
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post

Are they done yet
Yup.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Heck yeah it can be done, the MiniClod locker could easily be adapted to the Super 300's and made wider.
Yup, Ima gonna need a set of those! I've got 3 sets of clod axles just waiting...
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #84
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzy51 View Post
we have yet to brake any gears on dave's super. ran it at nationals and two other comps sense then. also all the practice time we have put on it. still running like a champ.. we did have one of the axle tube screws fall out and grind up a gear but that wasn't from tire height!
Awesome, great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
I was also thinking about how much everyone is complaining about the steering angle of the Super Bullies...I know they don't turn as hard as a 300 equipped berg axle but they do turn as good as a cvd equipped clod.
Good info. I currently have a cvd equipped clod, the steering is decent, but part of my whole reason for building a new rig is to make it perform better.

That is good news that the super bully starts out the same as the upgraded clod. Now we just need to find out how an upgraded bully is.;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
I should have mine today...first thing I'm going to do is break out the protractor and report back. Then break out the dremel and report back again
I know Diezel was going to work on his tonight, I cannot wait to see what you guys come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Jason what are you considering for tire height?
I am thinking right in the 6.5-7" range.

Quote:
I have been looking and think I would like to go with a tire that is narrower than my current Plowboys and shorter.But I do not want to go the enlarged 2.2 because of the tall sidewall.
I think we have no choice but to go narrower, that is going to be the only way we are going to get the extra steering that we need.

Joe when i said enlarged 2.2 tire, I plan on making the height taller and the wheel size bigger as well. I am thinking of basically something like Superdave and King Bling used at worlds.

Quote:
Ok, now I'm thinking about Clod center sections with Super 300 CVD's............ MaxiClod axles?
Quote:
Now you're onto something. If we could piece clod centers, to berg tubes, knuckles, and shafts I think we'd have a great combination.

I love this thread!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

I am thinking right in the 6.5-7" range.

like this.

6.75" on a max wheel
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #86
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
like this.

6.75" on a max wheel
Hell yea, that is what I am talking about!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

This thread is full of win Old-school garage engineering, no bolt-ons in sight!
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Or these. Super leopards are 7.1", Super rovers "Desert Dogs" are 6.9" both 2" wide

I thought the Desert Dogs were good but the super leopards are great too. I like the pizza cutter style wheel/tire combo on a super.
I am fixing to build a set of Super claws for a buddy.
Attached Images

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

I am after something different in the tire department.
I would say 6.5 would be great but I want a way shorter sidewall.Thats the reason I am going to try the meatgrinders. I just do not see the reason to have that much sidewall if I can keep from it.
It just going to be finding the wheel that makes the tire the right height.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #90
WWW.THEROXBOX.COM

Jason,

I just wanted to give you my input on the bully axles..... they are freaking great.

yes i broke a few teeth on a gear or 2 ..... but it was all on me ..... this is why there was no need to go on here and make a big deal out of it. The breakage was my fault not the product.

Yes i drove the living hell out of these axles at the Worlds and alot of people saw how strong they were all day.
I built this truck 18 hours before flying out to reno, heck we were wrenching on it at the condo. I was the only super with out rear steering, so i had to run my truck with dig only.

My truck weighs 229 oz or 14 lbs total
123 oz is in my wheels
106 oz is in my axles, chassis, ect .....

i used 12t pinions in both front and rear.....
i trashed other 9t and 10t pinions (after market)
i ran 45t hand wound Tekin motors
i used a 3 cell 2650 mah lipo

i had crazy wheel speed and used a ton of power to dig my truck like it had 4 wheel steering. These axles are very strong and with your rig set up like a true super with 4 wheel steering and less wheel speed these axles can compete with any set up on the market. My super is going back together as we speak and my build thread will be update very soon.

you can not and will not go wrong with Bully Super axles, these are very well built.

Just my 2 cent, thanks
The Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #91
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
yes i broke a few teeth on a gear or 2 ..... but it was all on me ..... this is why there was no need to go on here and make a big deal out of it. The breakage was my fault not the product.
Totally understandable, nothing is 100% bullet proof, there are limits to everything.

Quote:
My truck weighs 229 oz or 14 lbs total
123 oz is in my wheels
106 oz is in my axles, chassis, ect .....
Holy Hell!

Quote:
These axles are very strong and with your rig set up like a true super with 4 wheel steering and less wheel speed these axles can compete with any set up on the market. My super is going back together as we speak and my build thread will be update very soon.
I gotta have my wheelspeed! My current super runs 65 turn motors, but I run it on 4s, tons of power and tons of speed.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #92
R.I.P. Chip

Hey guys if this thread has inspired you to build a super, or if you have recently built one please post up a link in this thread to help everyone find it.

This is awesome in here with everyone brainstorming, I can't wait to see the new batch of supers that pops up.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Hey guys if this thread has inspired you to build a super, or if you have recently built one please post up a link in this thread to help everyone find it.

This is awesome in here with everyone brainstorming, I can't wait to see the new batch of supers that pops up.

Oh I am inspired but the new build thread will be a little time away.
The worst thing is going to be having to part with My current rig that has treated me very well for 2 years
I may need to sell it before everyone looks at this thread and thinks it is out dated
Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #94
RCC Addict

You've got me wanting to build one Jason and I've never even seen one in person lol

I doubt I would have anyone to comp against but they sure look fun.

The clod center + berg outer + miniclod idea really has me excited. Wish I had the parts/tools here to give it a try.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Yeah this is awesome. I have been reading everything I can.

Just noticed the Bully's are 14mm, stock axials are 12mm correct? Gotta get some rims and tires! X-lock 40 series and cyclone 40 series? Or can I get away with Axial 40 series rims AX8073. Doesn't look like I would save too much $$
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I think that one thing that needs to be mentioned is IMHO the key to keeping a Super alive is try and stay as light as possible with the wheels and tires.
If you need to add weight get creative and keep it out of the tires.Rotational mass is a bad thing when you are talking about a 6.5-7 inch tire spinning and grabbing something.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

For the guys that have not had the chance to watch Supers run here are a couple of videos that show just a small part of what a Super on twin ESC's and 4 wheel steer can do.
And honestly I do not think this rig even scratches the surface of what is to come in the future as long as guys are not scared to roll there sleeves up and get creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsQ8SdBMjng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEoO_...eature=related
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #98
MODERATOR™

Did you make that look hard on purpose?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post

Just noticed the Bully's are 14mm, stock axials are 12mm correct? Gotta get some rims and tires! X-lock 40 series and cyclone 40 series? Or can I get away with Axial 40 series rims AX8073. Doesn't look like I would save too much $$
We are working on 17mm and 23mm hubs for our axles.

Quote:
I think that one thing that needs to be mentioned is IMHO the key to keeping a Super alive is try and stay as light as possible with the wheels and tires.
If you need to add weight get creative and keep it out of the tires.Rotational mass is a bad thing when you are talking about a 6.5-7 inch tire spinning and grabbing something.
I agree on this as well. One reason we knew cast was not going to be to much of an issue with our axles.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ditto. I have since learned this. It really does make a difference.

My super is 7.5-8lbs and each wheel/tire/foam is only 12oz each . See pics above. I don't run memory foams in super tires.
I have about an additional 8 oz up front (total) weight on the knuckles.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote