Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Been thinking about a new super

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #61
R.I.P. Chip

Lots of guys interested in supers here.

Let's keep this thread going as an open dialog for the super class, I'll start a seperate build thread when I decide what I want to build.

For now hot topics include:
  • Gear Strength
  • Steering angle
  • servos
  • radios
  • tires

I'll keep this post on MOA for now unless some people want to discuss shafty supers as well.

Axles, gear strength, steering angle

In the past most supers have been built using clodbuster axles. They can be built super strong, almost unbreakable, drawbacks for me include steering angle, somewhat narrow width, large size.

You can build clod axles using 100% aftermarket parts, and go to 100% metal if you wish.

A couple of supers have now been built using 2.2 berg axles and widening them using 2 long side tubes/shafts. This option has great steering when using super 300 cvds, but there is a question of gear strength.

Then next option is the super bully axle, this option seems to be fairly strong, but the steering angle isn't there. Several people are working on them to see exactly how much steering can be gained.

Servos

Some rigs are using 1/4 scale servos, which are very heavy, power hungry, and have very strong gears.

With the latest batch of high torque servos on the market (400+ ounces) lots of people are running those without problems.

Even farther some people are running 2 400+ ounce servos on each axle and using a servo synchronizer to tie them together.

Tires

Out of the box ready to go, Proline Moabs are the most popular, others use Losi zombies, modified panther tires, and just lately people have been modding 2.2 tires to make them tall enough to run on a super.

Radios

Most of the top drivers in the superclass are running dual esc's and stick radios, if you can drive with a stick radio this is a great option for total control of front and rear dig and front and rear steer.

I couldn't get the hang of a stick radio so I used the Nomadio React (4channel) and had dig and rear steer. I had numerous problems with receivers so I went back to running my dx3r, only giving me front and rear steering and no dig.

My new rig will be running a futaba 4pk giving me front and rear dig and front and rear steer again.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #62
RCC Addict

I'm bad with geometry and the math related to it. The stock clod has terrible steering angles, the cvd's make it better but when you compare it to the "new" crawlers like an Axial, Berg, Losi, Venom etc. it really sucks.
I'd seen a thread Miniwheeler started about some custom pieces he made to fix the bad Ackerman angles on the Clod with some JPCustoms knuckles:
Ackerman angle FIXED

I think this pic was comparing a cvd equipped clod to his revised steering setup with cvd's. The top truck was with the cvd's and the bottom truck was the one with the revised parts:

I think that was a "17 degree" increase. That makes a huge differeance in my opinion. Not what you're looking for, but a substantial improvement over what we've been limited to for a long time.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

we have yet to brake any gears on dave's super. ran it at nationals and two other comps sense then. also all the practice time we have put on it. still running like a champ.. we did have one of the axle tube screws fall out and grind up a gear but that wasn't from tire height!
scuzzy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Tires

Out of the box ready to go, Proline Moabs are the most popular, others use Losi zombies, modified panther tires, and just lately people have been modding 2.2 tires to make them tall enough to run on a super.
Don't forget about rc4wd x-loc 40's!

This thread is great! If nothing else i think it will show people that there are in fact options when it comes to building a super class rig now. Having more options will definitely spark interest in this class again.

Super Class Resurrection!!!

I was also thinking about how much everyone is complaining about the steering angle of the Super Bullies...I know they don't turn as hard as a 300 equipped berg axle but they do turn as good as a cvd equipped clod. So, for 200 bux you get ready to run, drop in and drive super axles that are as good, if not better than built clods...I don't see how anyone could complain about that...I have almost 700 bux in my clod axles!! And to have bergs set-up for supers your gonna be close to that much as well. 200 bux is one helluva bargain if ya asked me. I should have mine today...first thing I'm going to do is break out the protractor and report back. Then break out the dremel and report back again
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Jason what are you considering for tire height?

I have been looking and think I would like to go with a tire that is narrower than my current Plowboys and shorter.But I do not want to go the enlarged 2.2 because of the tall sidewall.
What I am considering doing is to go with the Panther Meatgrinder in a soft because they are really easy to narrow and trying a couple different wheels to find the height I want.I am just not sure what that is.
Stock the tire is 5.5 tall and made for a max wheel not sure that will be tall enough?I am not sure what the diameter will be on a 40series wheel but that may be a option.What wheels fall in between the max wheel and the 40?
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

More dumb questions from a newb. I am trying to read everything I can. Really thinking hard about this now, I like the idea of a super. For some reason I am always pointing my 2.2 at the biggest rock I can find, and attempting to climb it.

Already got 2.2 size aluminum wheels, 55T lathes, servo, radio, batteries. Might go another size

Might use the chassis from my 2.2, what length links, also will the lunsford Ti links work well, using those on my 2.2 with revo/jato rod ends with good results so far.

bully axles 200$ - super bully from rc4wd, not the 2.2 bullys. do they come with pinions..
Steering kit from RC4wd 30$ - or I could fab one maybe but that kit looks beef.
xlocks 60$ - already kinda want these for the 2.2
Dual FXR's 200$
punk dig switch 63$

Did I miss anything? 55T be fast enough, or should I order some 35T.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Jason what are you considering for tire height?

I have been looking and think I would like to go with a tire that is narrower than my current Plowboys and shorter.But I do not want to go the enlarged 2.2 because of the tall sidewall.
What I am considering doing is to go with the Panther Meatgrinder in a soft because they are really easy to narrow and trying a couple different wheels to find the height I want.I am just not sure what that is.
Stock the tire is 5.5 tall and made for a max wheel not sure that will be tall enough?I am not sure what the diameter will be on a 40series wheel but that may be a option.What wheels fall in between the max wheel and the 40?
Revo gemini's are 3.8" and pretty nice lookin...but they use a 14mm hex. Not sure if there are aftermarket wheels of that size that use a 17mm hex...but if your gonna go lighter with everything..a 14mm hex might be ok.

I was thinking narrower meatgrinders as well for all the same reason. I was gonna go for a 40 series though or even stick with the 115mm...I love the height of them.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

The Pro-Line LPR wheels are 3.7" and available in 17mm. It's the "new" tires size that the Truggy/Revo's are running for a low sidewall to help handling.

Comes in both no offset and 1/2" offset for your width needs.

http://www.prolineracing.com/p-508-v...-18-truck.aspx

After being at Worlds, I have been wanting to build a super...not that I can run it here much. But they look awesome crawling some wild obstacles.

Last edited by binaryterror; 10-01-2009 at 10:41 AM.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #69
PapaGriz Yo

Ok, now I'm thinking about Clod center sections with Super 300 CVD's............ MaxiClod axles?
Easy peesy lemon squeezy....
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #70
RCC Addict

I don't know much about super's but if you get the steering where you want it on the super bully's I wonder if you could do something like JeepinDoug did to lighten his Berg axles to get the weight down where you want it.

JeepinDoug's build thread:
JeepinDoug's OTT Berg
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Ok, now I'm thinking about Clod center sections with Super 300 CVD's............ MaxiClod axles?
Easy peesy lemon squeezy....
Could clod centers, with Berg super 300 inner's, and custom axle tube's be done? Basically a wide mini-clod with a different locker/bearings?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
bully axles 200$ - super bully from rc4wd, not the 2.2 bullys. do they come with pinions..
Steering kit from RC4wd 30$ - or I could fab one maybe but that kit looks beef.
xlocks 60$ - already kinda want these for the 2.2
Dual FXR's 200$
punk dig switch 63$

Did I miss anything? 55T be fast enough, or should I order some 35T.
Don't need a dig switch with two esc's
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #73
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
Could clod centers, with Berg super 300 inner's, and custom axle tube's be done? Basically a wide mini-clod with a different locker/bearings?
Does a bear shit in the woods?
Heck yeah it can be done, the MiniClod locker could easily be adapted to the Super 300's and made wider.
I'm gonna start getting parts together.......
Old 10-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Maybe I should make my own post with all these newb questions.

I have one of the really old novak super roosters, that works for dual motors right? I want dual FXR's but to save some initial cash....
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Heck yeah it can be done, the MiniClod locker could easily be adapted to the Super 300's and made wider.
Sweet, might be just the axle Jason is looking for.

Anyway to save some time/cost and just adapt the berg long side tube to the clod center?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #76
Release your anger..

For those that are interested in pursing the Berg axle option here are some build threads.

Super Daves mantis.
Superdaves Super!

King Blings Stick
Blingers, ti-stick, Japanese looking, world’s edition, berg super, thing!

BoNus LiNes OG Berg Super
Bonus line's super berg

Dynamic Cyphers Super
Hybrid Super built pics (berg, rockbull, copperhead)

The EnRoute Super, current status is akin to Bigfoot.
enroute berg superclass pics

Just Zach's Chaos Super
Reign Widemouth/Berg Super for Nats

Kamikaze's brief Sex Change.
The Copperhead 3.0

Can somebody who is familiar with XTM X-Crawler trucks please post up some info?

Quote:
Don't forget to use the new Clod gear Cases Billet Works is coming up with. That would be pimp.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #77
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
Sweet, might be just the axle Jason is looking for.

Anyway to save some time/cost and just adapt the berg long side tube to the clod center?
Good idea BigB, an adapter might be possible and would cut out quite a bit of cost.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #78
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Don't forget to use the new Clod gear Cases Billet Works is coming up with. That would be pimp.
Pimp is the name of the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
I have one of the really old novak super roosters, that works for dual motors right? I want dual FXR's but to save some initial cash....
Yes, a Super Rooster will run dual motors.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

BT. that wheel just may work.

I was looking at Zach's build he run at the 08 nats and he said the meat grinders around the 40 series wheels were 6.5 inches tall so 40 series may not be that bad of a option either.I think my tires on my Super now are 7 inches I will have to check.
I am going to look into it So off to order enough meat grinders to start cutting up and see which hidth I like best and plastic wheels are cheap to.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Good idea BigB, an adapter might be possible and would cut out quite a bit of cost.
Cool. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Grizz.