Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: DLUX super build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #461
Rock Crawler

Default Re: DLUX super build

So what did you notice different?
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #462
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Way cool Erik. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

Try filling the heads of those machine screw knuckle wts with lead.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #463
Wanna get? Gotta want.

If RCcrawler didn’t crap out on me I could have told you 20min ago. I HATE when you type something up for 10min and then lose it.

After driving my 2.2 with them front and rear, I had an idea what to expect and didnt expect much out of the front. The front didn’t work near as good as the rear. I was running red springs on the front shocks and it was just too much on climbs but felt pretty good otherwise. If it was a climb where I needed to articulate to grab a ledge, it just wouldn’t let me do it. It wanted to force both front tires to do the same thing at the same time, kinda like running a super stiff spring. In other words, I couldn’t get a front shock to compress on a vertical climb no matter what. I instantly took the springs off and it was much, much better and workable but still just a hair stiff.

The rear is so significantly better with a sway bar that I went with an even stiffer bar back there now. I think it may be a touch stiff so I want to find the middle between these bars. I am going to make some longer arms to soften both ends up and I think I will be in business. I know the rear is in a better place and I think the front will be too with some new arms. Supers seem to really need this mod IMO, its that big of a difference. I am going to try and make it out to Wendover and video some runs that I have done previously before the sway bar. Some of the stuff I struggled on (and is really difficult) is now laughable.

One HUGE and unexpected result of the sway bars is that the bars now take all the force and pressure while articulating instead of through the shocks and chassis. I now have little to no chassis flex. Anybody who has run supers knows that these long beasts can almost be run with no shocks because the chassis has so much opportunity to flex. I am excited because I can now remove some of my limiters on my shocks and let my shocks do their job. It reminds me of when I went from Delrin spreaders in my 2.2 to aluminum spreaders. I could feel the shocks work instead of the chassis. This makes an oil change or even a spring change that much more obvious and easier to work with. I am overly excited about this because I have never felt a change in oil on my super does much. This should open a whole new world to tuning for me.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #464
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
Way cool Erik. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

Try filling the heads of those machine screw knuckle wts with lead.

J

I hesitate to do anything with the heads because I wouldnt be able to get the screws out without a lot of work. Thats one of the big advantages of this setup, I could easily just run a longer bolt with more nuts anywhere along the radius for more weight. With my V2 knuckle and knuckle weight setup I can move the holder right against the face of the wheel so I could possibly add more weight along the bottom..... if I were not so lazy.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #465
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
.... if I were not so lazy.
I don't believe this for a second...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #466
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Youre right. Its more like beat down tired and falling in bed every night for months.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #467

Quote:
I am excited because I can now remove some of my limiters on my shocks and let my shocks do their job.

This part really caught my eye.

Do you think with the right tuning the shock limiters could be removed completely? My mindset would be to retain limited articulation but have the excess shock travel for droop and run a lower belly height... Or am I off track here?
Crawl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #468
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, I do think thats possible. At this point, the sway bar is acting as a limiter so I dont even need the ones on the shocks. I dont know the effects just yet. This adds a whole new dimension to the tuning game.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #469
Quarry Creeper

Holy cow! Erik what an amazing super you built here!!

I just completed my 2.2 comp and now have the super bug bite, and its getting worse and worse. I just sat here glued to my computer reading your entire thread, and must say that you have crazy skills, with very ingenious ideas. I've ordered items from you a couple times, and everything I receive is more than I expected. Sorry to jump in on your thread here but I am simply floored by your ingenuity, and hope that I can create a super even half as creative as yours. Good work sir!
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #470
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Thanks! I hope to get it out and do some driving with it this weekend! I cant get enough super time for sure!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #471
Quarry Creeper

I can fully understand your excitement. To be honest I am selling off most of my RC stock just to gather up money for a super build. I just love the fact that your imagination must build it, there's no instruction manual or anything. I'm not going to lie, if I find one I can afford I'd buy it then add my touches to it

Keep up the good work, I posted a chassis I bought to use for my super build, not positive its going to work now, but I'll give it hell first. Again, spot on fab work sir, my hats off to you.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #472
ULTRA CUSTOM FABRICATION

Got a couple pics of Dlux doing work on one of the steepest climbs ive seen

Wheels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #473
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Thanks Wheels!

Your picture actually captures how steep that spot is.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #474

what kind of wheels and tires are you running?
97flexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #475
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Dlux wheels and custom cut and shut Sedonas
Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #476
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks Wheels!

Your picture actually captures how steep that spot is.
Did u make it to the summit?
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #477
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have made it to the right hand side more than once. This is to the left which is pretty extreme. It may not be do able and needs a spotter since youre 10+ feet in the air and right on the edge.

Here is a video of the right side. Starts at 1:52

Dlux Super GSL 6-27-13 - YouTube

Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #478
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have made it to the right hand side more than once. This is to the left which is pretty extreme. It may not be do able and needs a spotter since youre 10+ feet in the air and right on the edge.
Yeah, to my eye the right side looks impossible, sice there isn't much to grab the front tires at the point pictured.

And from the video the left side is no pice of cake either. Nice driving! I bet the throttle control is the hard part there.
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #479

Quote:
Dlux wheels and custom cut and shut Sedonas
where can I buy those wheel? or what "stock" wheel did u start with to make those?
97flexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #480
Quarry Creeper

Oh man! That video is nuts Erik. Well sir I hope you are proud of yourself. After reading this and all of the other stuff I have been reading, I told myself that today I am either going to bite the bullet and get RC4WD's super, or find one tha'ts been built and buy it. Soooo, it should be here on Friday! I found one on eBay with a fair amount of good stuff. So now I'm going to be really haunting the super forums, and your website.