Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: From WILD to Kinda Mild Super Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: From WILD to Kinda Mild Super Build

Hittman is already in the process of making a set for me. That was the first thing I started looking for. These tires are 1lb 13oz each and that far too much weight. I am going to put these tires on my Summit, they will do great there!!
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Well a very fair amount of time was spent on my rig this weekend. I finally got it running and crawling. I must admit it performs 1000% better than the initial huge monstrosity it was. I will miss it however because it was truly unique and and bear to drive.

Friday when I got off work I check the mail, and had received my new 65:1 gear cases from RC4WD, as well as the 4S capacitor from Crawler Innovations. With the exception of soldering in the 4S cap, every other process that I did this week was pretty much just text book installation. Electronics, servos, stronger orange shock springs, etc. I did rework the shock location to get them running more parallel with the chassis, it seemed to help the shocks to carry the weight better, but the shocks are still not fully rebounding. I really could use some ideas for stronger shocks/springs.

I also received really good news, my hand wound 13T Crawlmasters are on the way, so I pulled the 35T ravages out of my XR10 and slapped them into the super. Driving it was true bliss!! I definitely need to do something about the rear links, I think the aluminum is not strong enough because the rear axle sways around. The front is rigid as all hell fortunately. I think what I am going to do drive it like it is for awhile. Get as much drive time as I can in, and just make sure that they wheelbase, and design of the links is what I want, then I am going to order a set of 1/4" titanium rods pre-tapped at the length I need, then mimic my bends onto the titanium. That should hopefully stiffen it up.

I know, I know, shut up and show the goods... First pictures are out with the old and in with the new gear cases. Then straight into wiring!!
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Here are a few more of how it sits now, I still need to figure out what I want to do with the RX, and how I want to mount the battery. The wiring cleaned up rather nicely, I figured having a super crawler would give me much more room to put stuff, but I was sadly mistaken. The main belly pan was eaten up by both FXR's. and the front skid was consumed by both the BEC's. Grrrrr

I don't know why it hiked up its leg and peed on my 4pl....
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Yet with all this excitement, it is still a very sad day. My son was involved in a an accident where the car landed on his head.

I do hope my little monster recovers
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

this is super cool,
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Why thank you
Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Well I have a little bit to report, but not alot. I had went to Winner some time ago for a set of 13T Kick A$$ Crawlmasters for my 2.2, the day they were going to ship Troy sent me a message telling my about another set of hand-wound 35T custom built motors that he had for sale as well so I decided to buy them for my super. I also bought a few items from Dlux's website. So now I am just in sit and wait mode, until I get my tires, motors, and other odd's n end's!

Still REALLY hoping that I can get some input on stiffer springs.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #28
RCC Addict

My super has 35t motors right now im not getting the holding drag break I want with these huge wheels. Im considering a higher wind motor for them soon.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

You can try using internal springs with the current springs you have, I have used hardware store springs , certain ball point pen ones also hope this helps
J-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
My super has 35t motors right now im not getting the holding drag break I want with these huge wheels. Im considering a higher wind motor for them soon.
I keep hoping that once I get my new tires that are being built that I should be in better shape. The tires I have now are 1 lb. 13oz. EACH! I could be crippled by the FXR's as well. In my 2.2 I have a set of HH dual mini's and they work phenomenally with it, awesome drag brakes and fantastic control. They do at times seem to run a tad on the warmer side, so I would be apprehensive to put them in my super, if I can get the money set aside, I wouldn't mind stepping up to a set of BRXL's and give the Holmes Hold a shot.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Money View Post
You can try using internal springs with the current springs you have, I have used hardware store springs , certain ball point pen ones also hope this helps
Do you have the ID and OD of the internal springs available? Thanks for your input!!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Im running the brxl now with holmes hold. Granted it s on 80% drag brake so ill bump that up and see if it helps but im thinking I dont have the torque/holding power a 45 turn motorwould provide to hold the larger circumference wheels on my rig. And I know they dont weigh 1 lb per wheel. Mayne close though. Hahaha
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Well I hope not all is lost. Dlux said that Brood's axle buster motors will give you all the holding power in the world. I was offered an awesome deal on a set of brand new 35T handwound torquemasters from HH, I installed them last night and it REALLY increased my drag brakes. Hopefully the lighter tires will help to get me in the ball park as well. Let me know how well bumping up the holmes hold works if you don't mind. I'm trying to find the best solution possible to get good drag brakes.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Here's the new motors for my Super! Ain't they purty!
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

A quick view of what they look like sitting in their new homes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
Still REALLY hoping that I can get some input on stiffer springs.
Was going to post this observation a few days back but figured the more experience builders would chime in with a better idea. I see the shocks are laid down pretty well, the front mostly.... One thing you could try is moving the upper shock mount towards the end of the chassis. By putting the shock/ spring more vertical it will affectively increase your spring rate.

Then to adjust the ride height back down first try the Dlux no pre load spring cups, if that's not enough go down to a 3.75" or 3.5" shock.
Crawl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #37
RCC Addict

The key to super shocks is thick oil. Your springs are fine, but you want to run at least 100wt oil in them. The oil will really help to keep the axles from feeling so floppy.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

So I have a gremlin fella's and could use some advice. When I first ran these dual FXR's in my 2.2 they worked flawlessly, with zero issues or questions. When I put them in my Super I was noticing the rear motor/esc would always start first on start up, and nothing seemed to be matched up. I figured I would wait until I got my new gear cases and motors then see if the problem would persist. It does, horribly. I can pull a few millimeters back on the throttle and the rear goes and the front doesn't start for awhile. Anyone experience that??

Any help would be awesome guys!!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Check to make sure the esc have the same programming on them and try re calibrating them to the controller. If you are using a different reciever and radio on the super than on the 2.2 that is most likely the problem. I would check both of those things and see if that helps anything. Also check the radio, depending on how you have that set up, you are able to under drive or over drive the rear motor. It could be that simple.
tweak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Tweak6 i have recalibrated both esc's as well as clearing the radio settings again. I do already have the radio set do that the front kicks in sooner but was hoping for a permanent fix.

I should try swapping my other radio and see how it acts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

From WILD to Kinda Mild Super Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Super Class Build...kinda... SVEN Chit Chat 10 10-05-2011 10:18 PM
kinda cool wild bald eagle nest live stream vid of eggs hatching SoCo Crawlgirl Chit Chat 8 04-01-2011 05:11 PM
Class 3 2dr JK mild with a hint of wild solomon7 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 03-22-2011 03:15 PM
C.C. mods mild to wild leon Duratrax Cliff Climber 13 04-22-2009 08:51 PM
Stock Clod Can (from mild to wild!) insanerc Videos! 5 10-15-2006 08:59 AM