Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: EeePee's Losi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

lol, add a muthafluckin dig servo and you'll really wake up this crawler...
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #42
MODERATOR™

Fluck that!

I love beating the Punk dig having Berg cheaters with a no dig shafty.

I. Love. It.

Last edited by EeePee; 10-04-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: eff you
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Damn!
So those worms are bad?
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #44
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbiss View Post
So those worms are bad?
Yep. The quick way to tell is the angle of the teeth. They're slanted the wrong way! They should be falling to the right, not the left.

But also notice the wear marks on the edges. The upper left has them and so does the lower right. Actually they're all the way around, but those are where you can really see it. The wear should be right down the center.

EeePee's Losi
Old 09-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Fluck that!

I love beating the Punk dig having Berg cheaters with a no dig shafty.

I. Love. It.
So are you saying you want me to send you a MRC servo for your dig?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #46
MODERATOR™

Actually, I have one. Bought it before I had the truck in anticipation.

If that was an offer, then thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

It was...
Old 09-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #48
MODERATOR™

Hey. Labor Day, and I'm off from work and bored update. Happy Holiday!

Been running this often, comps too. Making those tweaks.

I took the 3 ounces of weight in each front wheel back out and put in the softer Pink NWTT memory foam. But then made another change later.

I lowered it, I sagged it, I drooped it. Backed the collars off so the lower links are parallel to the ground. It's at just under 2 inches of ground clearance. But the thing sticks soooo good when I need it too. Surprisingly good, and it seems to find a way over everything else.

Shrink wrapped the driveshaft CVDs cause the pins kept falling out. You can see it in the second picture right next to the battery, the whole thing has shrink wrap over it. I did it without taking the yokes off, and that was a pretty good challenge actually. I dare you to try it.

Installed an Airtronics 94780M 423 ounce servo, and therefore a Castle BEC. Which means I can try a 3 cell lipo now. And I have, and the motor got to 142 really quick so I stopped, but I think I can make 5 or 6 minutes for a course. Maybe a smaller pinion if I choose to go that route. I don't want a stupid fan.

Put NWTT Hybrids Reds back in the fronts, and now have the NWTT Pinks in the rear. So now, all memory foam and no weight. The fronts weigh about a little more than an ounce more, just from the density of the foam and the additional side supports. I've forgotten how well the Losi Claws work. I went back and did some reading back from when they and the Kreepy foams came out. Good stuff. Good time period when Proline Mashers and Maobs were it, then out comes the Losi tires.

Shocks are leaking like crazy. Pistons don't seem to be doing anything detrimental. Might try thicker oil while I redo the shocks.

Axles never temp above 93 degrees, taken right at the input. I wonder if temps could be indicative of when it's time to add grease. Like, they temp at 100, it's time to add some grease. That'd be cool.

I can't roll the truck over with the throttle, and that can be a deal breaker, so I need to work on that. Small tires, slow wheel speed. I need the opposite of that. I'd have to say that's my only real complaint. It won't roll back over.

Attached Images

Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #49
Moderator Rule Breaker

E, The only time you see the pistons work, is jumping.

You should try some comp claws.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #50
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
E, The only time you see the pistons work, is jumping.
And I went Slash jumping today and holy cow was the thing awesome.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #51
MODERATOR™

Speaking of those pistons, I wasn't sure I was content with the rebound control. I was using 40 weight and the compression was good if not a tad soft, but the rebound was a bit fast sometimes allowing the truck to be just a little floppy, I guess. On top of that the shocks leaked out probably about half of the oil, the upside being I have well lubed shiny ball ends and slick axle cases.

So I went to 50 weight oil and tightened the caps until I felt the next little movement would have stripped them out. I read to do that.

The 50 weight is a little better in regards to the rebound and no real ill effects with the compression, so I might jump up another notch to 60 weight. Or another piston other than these RPM contraptions.

Added some new bearing from www.avidrc.com, a bunch of the Revolutions. Not that anything seemed wrong with the Losi bearings in the truck, I just felt like throwing some moneys at it, and hey, they color coordinate with my body! While I was in there I relubed with some red EP Moly grease, and the gears, the worms in particular, are showing signs of wear already, though in the right spots.

After last night's competition, and another podium finish I finally broke down and bought a new power plant for the thing. The 35 turn on 2S was fine for 95% of the challenges, but those last 5% could break the whole event if it was cutting it close. Bound up and stalling out with no slipper action means too weak of a motor, and also lacking in wheelspeed to bump and jump some stuff could kill the day. Brushless time.

For our upcoming Fall Points Series I just might break down and put that dig servo in there. I got these Berg drivers building courses... you know how that goes.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

DIG!?!?

Pffft..
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #53
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Speaking of those pistons, I wasn't sure I was content with the rebound control. I was using 40 weight and the compression was good if not a tad soft, but the rebound was a bit fast sometimes allowing the truck to be just a little floppy, I guess. On top of that the shocks leaked out probably about half of the oil, the upside being I have well lubed shiny ball ends and slick axle cases.

So I went to 50 weight oil and tightened the caps until I felt the next little movement would have stripped them out. I read to do that.

The 50 weight is a little better in regards to the rebound and no real ill effects with the compression, so I might jump up another notch to 60 weight. Or another piston other than these RPM contraptions.

Added some new bearing from www.avidrc.com, a bunch of the Revolutions. Not that anything seemed wrong with the Losi bearings in the truck, I just felt like throwing some moneys at it, and hey, they color coordinate with my body! While I was in there I relubed with some red EP Moly grease, and the gears, the worms in particular, are showing signs of wear already, though in the right spots.

After last night's competition, and another podium finish I finally broke down and bought a new power plant for the thing. The 35 turn on 2S was fine for 95% of the challenges, but those last 5% could break the whole event if it was cutting it close. Bound up and stalling out with no slipper action means too weak of a motor, and also lacking in wheelspeed to bump and jump some stuff could kill the day. Brushless time.

For our upcoming Fall Points Series I just might break down and put that dig servo in there. I got these Berg drivers building courses... you know how that goes.
SSSSooooooo your going with 13.5t motor ?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #54
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
DIG!?!?

Pffft..
I hear ya, but again, Berg drivers building courses. Typically my penalty points are reverses. Well, most of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
SSSSooooooo your going with 13.5t motor ?
Hehehe, yep. You peer pressuring mofo!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

I understand...

What do I know, I point out anyway...
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #56
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
I hear ya, but again, Berg drivers building courses. Typically my penalty points are reverses. Well, most of them.

Hehehe, yep. You peer pressuring mofo!
You going with a 3s goat ?

I'm really thinking about a 3s goat and 21.5t with a 14mm rotor for mine.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #57
MODERATOR™

I got the 3S Goat. Makes no sense at all to get the 2S if you're gonna get a new Novak. Why limit yourself. And why the 21.5? I'd think if it's between the 18.5 and the 21.5 with the 3S Goat you'd want the 18.5 for all the versatility.

Quote:
13.5 = 7.4 x 3300 = 24,420
18.5 = 7.4 x 2700 = 19,980
21.5 = 7.4 x 1800 = 13,320

18.5 = 11.1 x 2700 = 29,970
21.5 = 11.1 x 1800 = 19,980

Novak doesn't recommend the 13.5 on 3S, but it's 36,630.

The Traxxas VXL on 3S is 38,850 for comparison.
Get the 18.5 so anytime you wanted to bump it up a notch you can throw in a 3S battery. That's what I'd do.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #58
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
I got the 3S Goat. Makes no sense at all to get the 2S if you're gonna get a new Novak. Why limit yourself. And why the 21.5? I'd think if it's between the 18.5 and the 21.5 with the 3S Goat you'd want the 18.5 for all the versatility.

Get the 18.5 so anytime you wanted to bump it up a notch you can throw in a 3S battery. That's what I'd do.
I already have have 3s batterys.

I like my wheelspeed don't get me wrong, But I also like that little extra torque if I get in bind in loose stuff.

We mostly run in large smooth river bed rock. So I can see the 18.5 shining.

Last edited by eric113; 09-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #59
MODERATOR™

You said you like wheelspeed, so get the damn 18.5! Duh!

10,000 more RPM
Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #60
MODERATOR™

Your edit is confusing.

I like more Watts.

Number of Turns: 13.5 (#3414), 18.5 (#3419), 21.5 (#3420)
Watts: 195 (#3414), 119 (#3419), 85 (#3420)

Tags
bacon, beer