Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Hulksta's LCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Got some time to tinker with it again today.. got lighter springs and oil now, trying 35wt f/r now, was at 60 then 50 but just to slow... might need softer springs again in the front, im hoping to get a pack though it tomorrow

before i update i forgot to show this pic, ive mounted the bec under the battery in the front..

Now for the update...

While i was doing the shocks i got thinking....... how much weight can i save on these hahaha..

So in the lathe they went!! and i took off .75mm hehe....

The rear shocks lost the external limiter and got inverted to lower the cog.. i also machined the upper links some more...

I wonder why i need this?

Side profile of how it stands now..

Now im down to 1185g.. the body weighs 66g so rig no wheels, body, bat is 1119g ;)
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #42
nec
Pebble Pounder

i hate you Dan(and your lathe!!) ... :-) nice work mate. see you at Sundays Comp..... theres a really steep rock wall to test the rig at clovelly, you'll luv it!!!

cheers
Nec.
nec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec View Post
i hate you Dan(and your lathe!!) ... :-) nice work mate. see you at Sundays Comp..... theres a really steep rock wall to test the rig at clovelly, you'll luv it!!!

cheers
Nec.
Hi Nec, im looking forward to this comp it looks like a great spot! If you want something machined up let me know Machining the upper links was a good loss, i forgot to weigh them after the second time on the lathe but it was a good amount lost.. if you want to pass yours to me at the end of the comp i can machine them and post them back to you
Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Would you mind showing a pick of the bent rear link? How did you do that without hanging up on the driveline?
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
Would you mind showing a pick of the bent rear link? How did you do that without hanging up on the driveline?
All in due time, i will say that ive managed to maintain all the losi link/driveshaft angles and that clearance is almost perfect to full flex (just hit the driveshaft) I won sportsman at the Clovelly comp here in OZ today but only got 5th on pro due to steering screw failing

I'll do more testing then I'll see if i can get vendors to produce a skid for me with the mods (really need CNC mill) and i'll make the modded driveshaft & links and bits needed to offer this option to others
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Well after smashing my steering on one of the climbs at Sundays comp and loosing one of my alloy nuts i made a bit of a change to it today...

This is the RCbros low COG servo mount, i drilled some holes in the front and turned the mounts backward

Now the servo sits back and is more protected, i needed to add 1.5mm spacers to the inside of the upper arms so they clear the servo, and now have a steel nut on there with a bit of luck i wont loose that lol
Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #47
nec
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Well after smashing my steering on one of the climbs at Sundays comp and loosing one of my alloy nuts i made a bit of a change to it today...

This is the RCbros low COG servo mount, i drilled some holes in the front and turned the mounts backward

Now the servo sits back and is more protected, i needed to add 1.5mm spacers to the inside of the upper arms so they clear the servo, and now have a steel nut on there with a bit of luck i wont loose that lol
Hey Hulksta,

thats a nice little mod that would have helped big time on that 3rd gate on pro 1 course. Congrats on win and thanks for the offer to mod my links....

i'm actually thinking of going back out to clovelly on the weekend for a few hours to practise

cheers
Nec.
nec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec View Post
Hey Hulksta,

thats a nice little mod that would have helped big time on that 3rd gate on pro 1 course. Congrats on win and thanks for the offer to mod my links....

i'm actually thinking of going back out to clovelly on the weekend for a few hours to practise

cheers
Nec.
Thanks mate

I would join ya but i'll be stuck at work this whole weekend It really was a great comp site!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Well after loosing all that weight ive found its now too fast and i set about to slow it down...

So i made these...

Disk brakes!

The plan is to build a hydraulic caliper and opperate it with a ram running off a servo... What do you think??
Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #50
RCC Addict

So was anyone thinking what the?

Its a weight system im working on

Im just waiting on some brass stock to make the weights for it, im thinking i might paint the disk black?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Its is great you have the tools and skills to make these. But in order for it to look like a disc brake you need to reduce the OD of the disc brake.

Right now they look like a full plate or a solid wheel face!

Just my .02$
MRCking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

I have a simular weights, It adds about 5 oz per wheel
Attached Images

samdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Looks good
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCking View Post
Its is great you have the tools and skills to make these. But in order for it to look like a disc brake you need to reduce the OD of the disc brake.

Right now they look like a full plate or a solid wheel face!

Just my .02$
Yeah i know i was just joking about brakes, ive started making some carbon fibre ones now which will look better but will still be full sized just to hide the brass slugs im making to mount behind them

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdog View Post
I have a simular weights, It adds about 5 oz per wheel
Thats a nice setup i was thinking of something similar but decided on the slugs setup so i didnt have to pull the wheels apart
Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Just a quick update on this before i on my MOA Chopper build thread

I got some new batterys, ive gone from 3s to 4s (what a difference!!) i used a pair of Hyperion 2s 1100mah 45c and wired them in series to make 4s 1100mah.... the two new batterys weigh 5g less than the old 3s they replaced and charge in only 15min! im sold on Hyperion batterys now

Fit just nicely after moving the servo back..
Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #56
RCC Addict

And now for the interesting stuff
I was trying to find a vendor to market this for people but ive had a few "no, not interested" or "no, we are now make own" so with the lack of vendor interest but several pm's requesting info ive decided to show how cheap and easy you can make your own!

Heres the key to it all, as you can see kept the losi lower link mounts (not in pic but i had to grind a bit off the one under the motor) i made a 11mm delrin spacer (would consider going 14mm) now the metal pin in the center i made from tool steel using and old hex driver, i machined the tool in the lathe to the correct size to fit the link mounts but you could stick it in a drill and use a file/dremel/sander etc to get the right size... next bit was to get the dremel and cut a little of the skid away and drill new mounting holes (note link mounts now reversed) and countersink the holes

This is it in the car.. note i changed to revo rod ends this helps clear the tailshaft, also i got the dremel on the one under the motor..

Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #57
RCC Addict

You'll need to make something to space the top links up, this is what i came up with and it lifts the back of the links by 10mm (note the front of the links get moved to the center hole on the chassis or top hole if you like) and mounts ontop of the losi top link mount but you will need the dremel the top of the losi mount flat if you do like this..

Now the links i used are very close to the same as the axial bent links and as you can see in the pic they have been outboarded at the back (note get the dremel on the diff housing to help the links clear) also in the pic note the mods to the tailshaft to help clear, this has not affected the tailshaft and ive had it in some good binds

A under shot of the skid..

As you can see in this pic the stock losi link angles have been maintained, which means it doesnt affect the way it handles (losi's handle so much better than the axial imo and i didnt want to loose that)

Well thats it.. ive put many hours on it now as you see it in the pics and nothing has broken or looks like it will, its fantastic to drive and altho the belly still hits i have very much gained a small advantage over stock
Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Question

Why did you feel the need to move the lower links back some? I must have missed the reason.

Looks cool just dont know why you went through all the trouble!
MRCking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCking View Post
Why did you feel the need to move the lower links back some? I must have missed the reason.

Looks cool just dont know why you went through all the trouble!
With them moved back a little it helped clear the tailshaft as the link didnt raise to much.. but the mian reason was to clear the gearbox

I know that most crawling there isnt a need for bent links, but when you need that little extra you'll be glad you've got them
Old 09-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #60
RCC Addict

I found some aluminum balls for the links/shocks to replace the steel ones.. lost almost a gram with each pair fitted...

Steel

Alloy

I didnt have enough to finish, i'll re-weigh the rig after i grab some more