Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Hulksta's LCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Ive now got a little more clearance, im really happy with how the ti came up, i think i'll make some for the front after the comp this Sunday...
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Time to update this one

As those following my MOA build will know ive been busy with building knuckle weights, and thats what ive done here BUT different too...
Seeing this rig runs RCBros knuckles i made some changes but with the plan to run the same weights as the MOA just so the weight is interchangeable, i'll try to give a little more detail here as this mod could be done with tools many with have (is better if you have a lathe tho)

Ok before starting i needed a tool to hold the knuckle.. those who are crafty could make this with a drill press and a fine flapper disk in a grinder! (one of the two small bits fit this knuckle and the other the moa)

The knuckle surface then is trued before mounting the plate... this can be done in a drill press too, knuckle is held in drill and use a small file while drill is spinning (make sure you place the file on the side turning away from you, the knuckle could grab the file and flick it and hit you )

Next drill and tap (3mm) a thread either side of the outter bearing as you can see here..

Next up grab some 2-3mm alloy plate to make the backing plate from.. drill a hole in the center to fit over the outter bearing part of the knuckle (cut the plate close to size too)

Then you need to put it together drill and countersink the plate and screw it to the knuckle ready for machining.. (drill into the plate from behind the knuckle so the holes are alligned) the plate is then machined into shape, again this could be done with a grinder..

Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #103
RCC Addict

And this is about what the knuckle should turn out like..

And now the start of the weights... each weight is drilled to fit over your hub, then mounted to the plate via drilling and tapping...

Also note i cut the top off the weights to lower COG, i did this before rather than later just to save some brass... i wanted these to sit a little behind level and each side equal, and this is how i did it... (they are set to 30*)

For those trying there hand at weights but no lathe, you could shape with a flapper disk on a grinder then to finish it off put it in the drill press and grind it to shape!

Knuckles back on the rig..

Weight on.. check clearance on hub/wheel etc

And thats is! i hope that like and found it helpful for those wanting to try thier hand at some..
The rcbros knuckle made it easy to...
Old 03-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #104
RCC Addict

Ok now that is out of the way.. heres some more detail on my rig

This was the weight system i built into the wheels...

And this is the weight i can run each side.. (can fit 100g extra but its not needed on this rig)

On the rig...

Ok now i'll show those who might be wondering why i made my own 'on the knuckle' rather than 'over the knuckle' weights...
To put it simple.. i can space the weight out as far into the wheel to help keep the rig more stable..

Underneath

And as you can see ive lost NO clearance under it all...

Thats it for now!.. onto making my next mod
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #105
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Looks great, as usual.

What is your theory of putting more weight behind the wheel rather than the front?
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Looks great, as usual.

What is your theory of putting more weight behind the wheel rather than the front?
Hi Erik.. i know someone would end up asking answer is.. no theory, ive just set it ready for the next mod
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #107
Rock Crawler

Care to give some shock tuning info...? I'm looking to run a droop setup on the new chassis
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #108
RCC Addict

Yep sure

Its a fairly light and simple setup really..
Im still running stock pistons f/r
35wt oil rear
25wt oil front
The springs im running are C-660 from Century Spring Corp in LA, CA.... i run a full spring over the shaft, and a half spring above the piston

If your running a heavy weight rig i would consider a stiffer spring above the piston but on the other hand a heavier oil might work too.. but this setup i find really has give my losi the edge on other setups

You may of already read my droop write up but i'll drop a link here in case you haven't... http://www.crawlanz.com/index.php?/t...ig-shock-tech/

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by Hulksta; 03-25-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #109
Rock Stacker

I like that shock setup! cheap, simple and very effective. props!
derteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Just a couple of pics from the cANZ Austrailan Nationals... these first couple my 9y son took

And i managed a 3rd in this
Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Congrats on the 3rd! I know i'm a little late but how do you like those wheels? How do the different offsets compare to stock? Thanks!

Dave
DaveQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #112
RCC Addict

Hi Dave they have been a great wheel and I can fit plenty of weight in the dish.. The only thing I can fault them on is rim can get stuck on the rocks

Cheers
Dan
Old 03-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #113
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hulksta's LCC

Was fun building it, kinda miss the old tinkering on my own rigs all the time

Cheers
Dan