Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Boss Claw Foam Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #161
Quarry Creeper

Changed my foams tonight, haven't had a chance to run them yet. I was running the 5.5 Nova's with the inner cut down to 1.75". They seemed a little soft and I had a hop that I suspect was the glue joint. New set-up is.......

Rear
MSD Top Gun wheels
Stock Losi Pink foams
9.75oz total weight

Front
MSD Top Gun wheels
I found a set of old memory foams in my box. I'm not sure what they are, they feel about like the NWTT 8# foams but they're yellow and don't have a glue seam. They were 4.75" o.d. Then I cut down a Panther buggy foam (firm) to fit around a 2.2 wheel. I stretched the memory foam over that and stuffed it in. They have great sidewall support with the Panther inner's and seem to have a soft contact patch. I'll see how they go.
14.5oz total weight

I have a new set of Nova's to try out. Got some of the new die cut foams which should take care of the hop I had before.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #162
Rock Crawler

I change my front foam setup as well. Proline oversized dual-stage memories, w/ 3/8ish slice of standard rock claws' foams on each side of tire, as Jay suggested eailer. Still standard pink foams in the rear. The rig worked great! Made some of the harder lines, this past weekend's comp, alot more easier.
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #163
Got Worms?

isn't stock rock claw foam memory foam
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #164
RCC Addict

The ONLY thing I dont really like about these tires is that they suck when they are dirty or on dusty rock. But if their clean they just kick ass all around.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #165
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
isn't stock rock claw foam memory foam
The Comp Claw foam is a memory type, the Rock Claws have the standard grey foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
The ONLY thing I dont really like about these tires is that they suck when they are dirty or on dusty rock.
The dust got me also. I was saying by the time I was clearing gate 5 the tires grip level had faded away and then it's like driving a completely different tire. But I was talking about a major amount of dust that had collected on the rocks at an indoor place. I don't think that amount of dust is even possible in the outdoors.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #166
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
The Comp Claw foam is a memory type, the Rock Claws have the standard grey foam.

The dust got me also. I was saying by the time I was clearing gate 5 the tires grip level had faded away and then it's like driving a completely different tire. But I was talking about a major amount of dust that had collected on the rocks at an indoor place. I don't think that amount of dust is even possible in the outdoors.
I think excessive dust is going to kill any tire...probably as much as these.
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #167
Rock Crawler

Well!!! Pleasant surprise at my lhs (Mighty Small Cars) tonight. Sitting there waiting for me were some Boss's. Can't wait to try them out.
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #168
RCC Addict

I was also having a similar problem when they are dusty...But it seems like
the proper foam setup takes that problem away....Mine grip all the way to the
finish now.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #169
Y-Town Crawlers

Have any of you guys who are running sub-6lb rigs tried Proline dual-stage memory foams in the rear tires? I ran them over the weekend and they worked very well in my heavy rig, but they were just slightly too soft in my 1" SLW's. I have a feeling that they may be perfect for a lighter rig then mine.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #170
Rock Crawler

I've got a pair that I trimmed the inner foam width, I ran them also on a 1'' SLW, a bit too soft for my 5.92lb rig. I'm planning on putting some standard Rock Claws foam slices in for more support. I'm running that in front on DH's and it works well
Sneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #171
Rock Crawler

Picked up a set last night and had to get them out as soon as I got in the car! The foams where a mess as I had read some others have found them to be, I had a little drive in front of me to get home so it was time to tune these into shape, so on went the heater vents in the car and poof they where round again! The things we do....lol! Now I just got to learn how to get them to stay on the rim!
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #172
Y-Town Crawlers

Here's the best way I've found for mounting these up.

Start by threading in three beadlock screws. Leave them loose so that you can see a gap in between the ring and the wheel.

Now that you can see the bead, push down on the outside of the tire to "pop" the bead into place.

You may have to slightly tighten/loosen the beadlock screws to work the bead into place. Work around the bead a few times and make sure its seated all the way around the wheel. If even one little spot pops out, it can start to pull the tire off of the bead when you tighten everything down.

Once the bead is seated all the way around the wheel, tighten down the 3 screws slowly. If you have the bead seated correctly, it will stay in place. Tighten in the other three screws, mount up the other side, and you're good to go
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #173
Rock Crawler

The first try I had a thick slice of rock craw foam added to each side of the pink stock foam so I thought I just over stuffed the tire. Then in a rush(key word rush) I tried just the pink foams and looked like I had it until a small test drive and seen the tire wobble side to side,it had come undone in a spot on both sides. I'm going to take the time and do it the way you show when I get home. Thanks for advise!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #174
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
Have any of you guys who are running sub-6lb rigs .... I have a feeling that they may be perfect for a lighter rig then mine.
See how this is funny now?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #175
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
See how this is funny now?
Quiet you...

Although, its funny, my foams did start working better after I weighed the truck
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #176
RCC Addict

Seems like the prolines are a little soft even in .7's Im running a full single
stage in the rear...seems to be $$
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #177

So im running a 6.02 lb LCC with VP DH 1.2". Any advise for my foams. Right now I got the new oversized single memory foams in front and stock pink foams rear. Not sure if thats the correct set up for the wider rims or not. The rig seems ok but i think the fronts might be a little soft.
Chaos314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #178
Pebble Pounder

Are you guys finding that these don't work as well with wheel speed? For me, when to much throttle input is applied, the truck just sits a spins. Maybe just foam tuning?
RealDeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #179
Rock Crawler

I was tring to mount these on a set lnc wheels but was having a hard time getting them to stay but was able to get them on another set of wheels I had. I think it might have been the fact that the screws where short and it was hard to see and get to the beads on the tire or maybe the plastic rings had something to do with it. The tires are sticky and don't slide in the slot as easy as other tires.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #180
Rock Crawler

Has anyone gave any thought to removing a few pins here and there to make the tire have more of a lug on it? Wonder if this would help forward bite or not work at all on this style of tire. I was thinking some of the old dirt tires where like that.