Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL

Now I have to choose between these and growlers. Damn.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Yeah who knows but I do find it funny. Only because I'd go krawlers over these.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #23
RCC Addict

They look great, just too big for me. I still run my old school M2 Flat Irons I got in my Dingo RTR , G8's work better, but mine still have life in 'em.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

.01" is going to keep alot of people from buying these tires. Even if they are shaved or worn down...the size still remains and it is an illegal tire for c2.

No doubt that they made an awesome tire for c2 with their TSL XL! I just don't get why they would do this. But...there are other options that haven't been explored yet...
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #25
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Look like a great tire but I won't be buying them cause there not SORRCA legal for class 2.

Same reason I won't buy the 2.2 XL TSL.
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #26
ion
Quarry Creeper

I really hope you guys understand how stupid you sound. Omg it's too big, .01" the world is ending oh no!

95% of the people in the crawling community will never, ever run in a comp with sorcca rules. Proline can honestly give to shits about those 5% of people. Although half of you nancies on here need a new tampon over this.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
I really hope you guys understand how stupid you sound. Omg it's too big, .01" the world is ending oh no!

95% of the people in the crawling community will never, ever run in a comp with sorcca rules. Proline can honestly give to shits about those 5% of people. Although half of you nancies on here need a new tampon over this.
Exactly! This is what I keep saying. I don't understand why so many people can't get this through their head! If small tires sold manufactures would offer them.

I can't wait. Flat Irons rock and I'm happy to see they've been updated for the times. Almost all new tires are over 4.5".
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Exactly! This is what I keep saying. I don't understand why so many people can't get this through their head! If small tires sold manufactures would offer them.

I can't wait. Flat Irons rock and I'm happy to see they've been updated for the times. Almost all new tires are over 4.5".
But for those that do comp occasionally, it's a waste of money. Why would I buy a tire that I can't run?

Why aren't footballs used in an NBA game? It's still a ball...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I wonder what the real size of these tyres is.

Some really stupid decisions from proline with the flat irons. I mean first listing the 2.2 size wrong and now this. Someone at proline must really hate the flatirons.

Why not use a bowling ball in the NBA or one of those huge yoga balls?
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Isn't it straightforward here? If you want to comp and want these tires, make sure you have these fancy beadlock wheels and buy a different set for comp. It is what it is
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I like to test my building, driving and competition skills at SORCCA ruled events. That is what I do with my R/C trucks. It is unfortunate that these great looking tires don't fit an existing rule set.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #32
RCC Addict

I like them...just that they are too large for any of my builds. They should be a great performer though.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:37 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Look, IMO Proline dropped the ball on this one for sure. They must have a rep doing some R & D on different sites one would think. To stamp the tires 4.76 is just plain stupidity.

Let me explain myself. You guy's that don't give a crap, that bigger is better, that's fine but you couldn't tell the ****ing diference between 4.75 and 4.76 if your life depended on it. If it wasn't for the stamping on the tire mold you wouldn't or couldn't know.

Now the guy's that have set up comp rules and participate in comps, that size on the tire mold matters a lot. It means class legal or not, rules are rules and we follow them. First time comp drivers that may show up at one of the really cool RC4WD events this year with the new FlatIron will most likely have to change tires because of that stupid 1/100th of an inch.

Proline should have done their homework better. Sure they will sell their new tire but they're leaving a lot of sales out there because of the size that was molded on the sidewall. Too bad, I was a fan of the original FlatIron big time.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Your made-up statistics are cute.

Ottsix, pitbull and rc4wd must just be really nice catering to that 5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

The rule is 4.75, i dont get how thats applicable?
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #35
RCC Addict

I have to imagine that Proline just doesn't give a $#!+ about scale comps since they ignored the rules from the largest scale sanctioning body twice. Sure not everyone runs scale comps but the fact of the matter is anybody that would buy this tire with a 4.76" diameter would also buy it at a 4.75" diameter. But there are hundreds maybe thousands that will not buy it just because of the 0.01" difference. I don't see how that is whining, seems to be simple economics.
I'm not sure if it is Proline's ignorance, arrogance, or spite.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Proline, like most large manufacturers in RC, knows they hold the hammer over the sanctioning bodies. If they want the rule changed, they will release their product, users will pressure the sanctioning organization to the point they cave and the rules get changed. They did it with monster truck racing tires, 1/8 scale buggy tires, and they are currently doing it with 2wd buggy tires.

People will buy them because they look awesome, will perform, and the large majority of their market couldn't tell you what a class 2 tire is anyway.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

The fact that they don't have the same stranglehold over crawling like they do racing will just drive customers to other in spec tires for their respective class.

Hopefully that's not their mind set, nefarious business practices makes me intentionally look elsewhere out of spite.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Proline, like most large manufacturers in RC, knows they hold the hammer over the sanctioning bodies. If they want the rule changed, they will release their product, users will pressure the sanctioning organization to the point they cave and the rules get changed. They did it with monster truck racing tires, 1/8 scale buggy tires, and they are currently doing it with 2wd buggy tires.
For that very reason, I hope the rules don't change to suit them or anybody else for that matter. If they don't want to play by the rules then let them make what ever they want and continue to lose sales over it.

People will buy them because they look awesome, will perform, and the large majority of their market couldn't tell you what a class 2 tire is anyway.
But more people would have bought them if they fit the rules. It would have only benefit Proline to stamp 4.75 in them. There really isn't a downside to it.
See blue text
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #39
Scale Detail Engineering

IMHO, a large part of scale tire sales are word of mouth.

If Newb is looking for new tires he goes to the web and asks "What tires should I buy".
The "5%" of guys who comp have tons of video, pictures and experience in lots of terrain/locations... not to mention trophies.
And then they answer the question with "X tires hook up great in wet, mud, rock... I won X competition running them and other podium dudes won running them."
(I'm remembering ECSC13 where Pitbull tires were on all the 1st place rigs).

Then, Newb buys X tire and tells his buddies how much he loves them compared to stock... and so on and so on.
So, the .01" completely shuts PL out of that conversation.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 02-25-2015 at 09:51 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

You would think for sake of time and expense no matter the actual size they would slap the same stamp on the sidewall as the 1.9 Swamper XL...maybe with the 2.2 XL and now this Flatiron Xl both just barely outta "CLASS" specs .. we may have a SORRCA rules hater at PL!!??
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.01, nerdrage

Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
proline flat iron tires iceman320 Chit Chat 16 05-17-2008 06:53 PM