Thread: New SSD Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #41
SSD
RCC Addict

Default Re: New SSD Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I am not trying to play "ive been in crawling this many years" card but I haven't seen or remember a spinning wheel weight idea like the BU setup. I could be wrong and probably am.

If you say it wasn't inspired by BU's design, works for me. Just looked like a crazy similar product to something I had only seen once before. I know you don't have to say anything or reply to me, so that is fine. I run several of your products on my trucks and will continue to. I apologize for de-railing the thread but I had to speak up.
I was referring to weights on bearings in wheels. It's not a massive jump to putting it on the hub instead.

I don't think that you realise that me and most of the other RC parts manufacturers sit around all day thinking of what to make then draw them up months (sometimes years) in advance. Most of us probably have the same ideas regularly. Sometimes it's a race to market first, sometimes it's not that important (like this one).

Recently the TRX-4 caused a brass portal cover/weight race to market. I'm pretty sure nobody copied anyone else but MFR (I think that's the brand) were first by a couple of weeks. Do we all owe them some credit...no.
I think SSD were third or fourth in that race. Sometimes we win also...

For the record I have been designing scale parts since 2004, when nobody else was interested.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
I was referring to weights on bearings in wheels. It's not a massive jump to putting it on the hub instead.

I don't think that you realise that me and most of the other RC parts manufacturers sit around all day thinking of what to make then draw them up months (sometimes years) in advance. Most of us probably have the same ideas regularly. Sometimes it's a race to market first, sometimes it's not that important (like this one).

Recently the TRX-4 caused a brass portal cover/weight race to market. I'm pretty sure nobody copied anyone else but MFR (I think that's the brand) were first by a couple of weeks. Do we all owe them some credit...no.
I think SSD were third or fourth in that race. Sometimes we win also...

For the record I have been designing scale parts since 2004, when nobody else was interested.
I am a little familiar with rc crawler product development and timelines, as I have had a hand in helping create/test several. It does vary by situation. I do understand the race to make new bolt on parts for new market trucks, so yah, no real ideas there just bolt on replacements.

Also, if a moderator wants to remove all my bs, go ahead.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #43
RCC Addict

This thread is clearly going well so let me just ask what the advantage is of "removing" the rotating mass of a 1.37" diameter, 40 gram object? I have to imagine its moment of inertia (I'm probably using that right) is probably small enough that it's inconsequential compared to the rest of the wheel its mounted to.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #44
SSD
RCC Addict

Not removing it, just not adding It.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #45
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:

Also, if a moderator wants to remove all my bs, go ahead.
No it's not necessary.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #46
RCC Addict

The MOI of this product is small but it does have an effect on the drive train just not as much as a solid hub/rotor. The MOI of any wheel/tire combination is something that cannot be eliminated unless someone comes up with a way to run without wheels. The only thing that can reduce the MOI of the wheels is to install lighter weight wheels which is motivation behind those carbon fiber wheels. MOI really becomes a big problem with those internal wheel weights people like to install inside their tires. However, I'm guessing most people here will overlook MOI in favor of appearance. All that said, in the slow crawling/trail running that we do here the issue of MOI is not nearly as important a consideration as it would be to say a short track racer for example.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

The last 3 pages of this thread are the exact reason why people are put off by this forums. How about having an adult conversation and not airing everybody’s dirty laundry. All this passive aggressive BS is really off putting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Another cool product SSD and thanx!!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Default New SSD Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor

Why the hell are we freaking out about this?! These are probably a better alternative due to price, not to mention that there are multiple companies that make the same looking parts like rotor weights, and no one gets pissed about that. Thanks SSD always making cool products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms Up View Post
WOW. Blatant copy.

Email sent with my phone number.

We need to have a little chat about this.

BOTTOMS UP - Scale Brass Brake Rotors - Mounted on a Bearing

https://supershafty.com/collections/...bearing-rotors

- A.J.

Really? It appears that for one, the backsides look completely different, and they also don’t even look to be up for sale any more. Geez.

ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

To get the thread back on track, any plans to make scale drum brake SLW hubs? Because that's be sweet for scale builds...
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Just for shits & giggles...

These monstrosities have been around for a while - I think I posted them before for a laugh... (Not an anti-ANYONE post! Just trying to lighten the freakin' mood around here... )

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

I got a set of those for my LCC but i never got around to running them, ended up giving them to my friend that ran them on his wraith.

I have been chewing on a bullet for a while, i really need that SSD tranny for my SCX 10 II, only ? is no one seem to have it ready to go for the II just the regular scx 10.
Which are of course not a problem at all, but it is helping me along with my financial situation to keep chewing on this bullet.

Lucky i have a lot of obligations in regard to help friends and family at the moment, this help a little in keeping me not thinking so much on the project that's not really moving along at the moment.

I might die from lead poisoning soon

I got a lot of brass down low on my car, so this are not needed here.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
Wouldn't the brake rotors appear static and not spin while the rest of the wheel does so it looks more realistic?

With that said, would it be possible to machine a rotor with caliper and have it stay it float / stay still?

Look at the Losi Baja Rey. It dose the spinning rotor and a static caliper.

4x4Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

I like the idea of this. Keeps the weight low, but let’s you have that low down weight in a scale manor. Awesome idea SSD!

4x4Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

I have the static brake disk and caliper from Samix on my axles, it look good but have 1 problem if you ask me.

1: the Samix disk sit too far from the wheel, so with most wheels you can barely see it back there.
I am thinking of spacing the disks out to get them closer to the wheel.

Having a spinning disk and a static caliper may be hard to make durable.
And i think at least in the places where we often drive you might get something in that caliber.
We often have tall grass ASO wrapped around the axles at the hex spinning part, not to forget the Gmade/MIP axles too.

That being said my friends Contrast he raced competitive 1:5 onroad with have working disk brakes on each wheel hydraulic and all,,, pretty neat

Still if you hit hard enough you can make a mess of those too

The contrast have 2 of these to get the brakefluid pressure up, one for each axle.

Maybe that will be next in scalers, real working brakes instead of ESC / motor brakes ?

Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Yeah, I am just a dumb guy on the other side of the computer screen. Sorry about that. It's kind of hard to reply to your ambiguity.

If you did copy, just flipping say, "these were inspired by another RC company and I put my spin on it" pun intended. If you truly didn't know about the other product then state that. Giving credit to past innovators or stating you had no idea, that is pretty simple.
SSD makes tons of awesome and unique products. Look at all of the stuff he designed. If he was going to copy an idea it wouldn't be something so simple like a fidget spinner brake weight. I mean come on. Be real.

You are talking with feelings and emotions. This is business. Feelings and emotions don't belong. There's no patent. SSD did nothing wrong.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #58
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 View Post
not to mention that there are multiple companies that make the same looking parts like rotor weights, and no one gets pissed about that.
actually it does irk the origonal inventor of them a bit
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
SSD makes tons of awesome and unique products. Look at all of the stuff he designed. If he was going to copy an idea it wouldn't be something so simple like a fidget spinner brake weight. I mean come on. Be real.

You are talking with feelings and emotions. This is business. Feelings and emotions don't belong. There's no patent. SSD did nothing wrong.
I am well aware of SSD's history and products. I got an RPP order with SSD items in them on Friday, great parts. I run SSD wheels and the SSD SCX scale transmission on one of my most scale (IMO) builds to date. Really makes the rig look right. As far as this product, I have the right to my opinion just as others do.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #60
wyd
Rock Crawler

These look great and are something I been looking at getting. I don't do mud and water at all like some people do so these would work great for me. Unlike some I'm just not into the mud and water thing (which is cool but just not for me). Might have to order a pair when they are available.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

New SSD Wheel Hub with Spinning Steel Rotor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD 6 Lug Steel Wheel Hex Hub w/Brake Rotor Teng General Crawlers 5 02-01-2018 04:23 AM
New SSD 6mm Offset Rotor Hubs SSD Tires and Wheels 11 01-25-2018 01:52 PM
Spinning hub in wheel JeremyH Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 06-17-2006 04:40 PM