Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Venting tires on aluminum beadlocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Venting tires on aluminum beadlocks

Eh, I"m definitely in the vent camp use a leather punch to do it cleanly and not too large of holes. I like single stage foams and they work great when sized appropriately for the tires.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I don't vent my tires. I squeeze them when i build them that gives them a softer and more compliant feel without letting mud in the wheels.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
PLEASE stop the water nonsense.
Not all foams are closed cell, lil novas for example are open cell on the outer.

It's not just the water that's an issue for me, open cell foam will and do act like a sponge soaking up all that animal piss, shit and other biological matter to rot and fester away until I toss them and buy more, no thanks!

I'm gonna go play with my toy now, cheers!
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Not all foams are closed cell, lil novas for example are open cell on the outer.

It's not just the water that's an issue for me, open cell foam will and do act like a sponge soaking up all that animal piss, shit and other biological matter to rot and fester away until I toss them and buy more, no thanks!

I'm gonna go play with my toy now, cheers!

SO YOU DON’T use single stage..... that’s the point, use the PROPER FOAM for where you run and no rotting or any such nonsense. Did you READ Eddies information??

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Color me stupid then. I started in go fast trucks, non vented and taped to stop tire growth at speed..(pizza Cutter effect) found that belted tires and good foams didnt grow, good foams are the "air" in our tires. yes you need to vent], PLEASE stop the water nonsense. Eddie at CI has an entire article on WHY and WHAT......simply put two stage foams are for our crawlers, single stage or none is for toys.

side note, I live in the Everglades..........A bit of water here!

Foam Guide

And what do you do when you live in a country where CI foams are hardly stocked and its stupid expensive to import?
Make a plan and use what you got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Since I like to experiment, and I'm thrifty, I had pretty good success last year making my own closed-cell foams from a variety of scrounged packing materials and that foam tube you can buy for insulating your hot water pipes (in North America). I hear pool noodles work too. I will see if I can dig up some photos.

ps: I run store-bought now.

Thats what I’m doing till CI’s gets introduced properly over here. Packaging closed cell and weather stripping... With stock foams on top. Works thus far.

HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I think people underestimate how good crawler tires can work non vented, sure there's some room to improve but they still work damn good (provided they are actually good tires to begin with).
Couldn't agree more.

I don't vent my crawler tires. Mud and water ruin open cell foams no matter what some people claim. Water certainly changes the characteristics of open cell foam and that's an immediate consequence. I've tried undersized, closed cell foams with vented tires and I wasn't a fan at all. I'll stick to high quality, non-vented tires and rarely is traction the issue the holds me back.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-30-2020 at 10:21 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Again, tire venting or not is a personal choice. No one can tell you which is better for you, your driving style, the terrain you drive on or your preference. I get really tired of people who insist that you have to do it their way or you're doing it wrong. The FACT is there is NO wrong way, do what YOU want and what works best for YOU!

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-30-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Again, tire venting or not is a personal choice. No one can tell you which is better for you, your driving style, the terrain you drive on or your preference. I get really tired of people who insist that you have to do it their way or you're doing it wrong. The FACT is there is NO wrong way, do what YOU want and what works best for YOU!
You don't agree with me and my experiences?! You can't possibly be correct!

Don't ya just love that attitude?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Unfortunately, it's just the times we're living in Jato.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
SO YOU DON’T use single stage..... that’s the point, use the PROPER FOAM for where you run and no rotting or any such nonsense. Did you READ Eddies information??

Hang up and Drive
I DO run single stage, I just use the ones that came with my tires since I am running them non vented, didn't see the need to spend $40 on pieces of foam.

I have read it, not entirely sure what it has to do why I don't run vented tires with open cell foam though.

At the end of the day, I don't care if you run your toys, ups, crawlers with vented tires or not, nor do I care if the OP does.

I was merely just stating MY opinion and experiences with running vented tires, to me it was gross and a pain in the ass, you don't have to agree, you don't have to accept it, you don't have to do anything, accept maybe enjoy your toy, ups, crawler.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Color me stupid then. I started in go fast trucks, non vented and taped to stop tire growth at speed..(pizza Cutter effect) found that belted tires and good foams didnt grow, good foams are the "air" in our tires. yes you need to vent], PLEASE stop the water nonsense. Eddie at CI has an entire article on WHY and WHAT......simply put two stage foams are for our crawlers, single stage or none is for toys.

side note, I live in the Everglades..........A bit of water here!
Foam Guide
100% agree Mike and cited same above. If the tire can’t “breathe”, it can’t conform and displace. And to the 1:1 comparisons, there’s a reason guys air down to 8-10lbs psi when they hit the trail. Venting a scale crawler tire is effectively the same thing. It’s not like you’re commuting with it!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
And what do you do when you live in a country where CI foams are hardly stocked and its stupid expensive to import?
Make a plan and use what you got.

I use CI foams, and don’t apologize.
I won’t waste money, quality lasts.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
100% agree Mike and cited same above. If the tire can’t “breathe”, it can’t conform and displace. And to the 1:1 comparisons, there’s a reason guys air down to 8-10lbs psi when they hit the trail. Venting a scale crawler tire is effectively the same thing. It’s not like you’re commuting with it!

Sorry I just cant let that statement stand

Well whats this

and this

Understand we aren't arguing that venting isn't the preferred method, just that non vented isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Whens the last time you venting folks ran a non vented tire? do you have any recent experience with tires besides rock hard RTR tires?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well whats this
That is enough reason for me to tear apart my Hyrax tires mounted with dual foams and hack em up for my non vented MTRs is what that is, thanks mate
Old 01-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Here’s a couple more unvented tiresSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by carpetfuzz17; 02-01-2020 at 10:08 AM.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
That is enough reason for me to tear apart my Hyrax tires mounted with dual foams and hack em up for my non vented MTRs is what that is, thanks mate

Its the 4.75" version of the RC4WD MT/R's, Crawler innovations Lil nova comp cut 4.5" foams, soft up front and medium in the rear. I cut the foams down to narrow them, 30mm overall for the outer foams and I took 4.75mm off each side of the inner foams to keep them symmetrical. I just cut them down to a size that was no bigger than the inside of the tire. I have a jig modeled that can be 3d printed so you can use a fine toothed Japanese hand saw to cut the foams down. I could clean this model up and upload it if you've got a printer, let me know.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-30-2020 at 10:53 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:17 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I could clean this model up and upload it if you've got a printer, let me know.
Nice! Thanks for the info and the offer.

I got the 4.19s so I'll have to tweak it a bit, but all that info is a damn good starting place, thanks alot!
Old 01-31-2020, 05:00 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry I just cant let that statement stand

Well whats this

and this

Understand we aren't arguing that venting isn't the preferred method, just that non vented isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Whens the last time you venting folks ran a non vented tire? do you have any recent experience with tires besides rock hard RTR tires?
Fair enough Humboldt - I may have gotten caught up in what is “better”. I have indeed tried non-vented in the past. Most recently a year ago. Same tire, same foam, same rig, same wheels, same day, same course, blah, blah, blah. My experience with this test was enough to convince me once and for all that vented tires perform better. The tire is better capable of conforming and displacing to the contours of the terrain. I guess my point is, ALL other things being equal - same tire, same foam, same rig, same course, same day, a vented tire is going to perform better.

I can understand some of the logic regarding water and foams, but people are deluding themselves if they think their un-vented tire is completely sealed on the rim. It’s not a water tight system just because the tires are not vented. Water resistant - meh, i’ll give ya that. Water tight? No.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:26 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Fair enough Humboldt - I may have gotten caught up in what is “better”. I have indeed tried non-vented in the past. Most recently a year ago. Same tire, same foam, same rig, same wheels, same day, same course, blah, blah, blah. My experience with this test was enough to convince me once and for all that vented tires perform better. The tire is better capable of conforming and displacing to the contours of the terrain. I guess my point is, ALL other things being equal - same tire, same foam, same rig, same course, same day, a vented tire is going to perform better.

I can understand some of the logic regarding water and foams, but people are deluding themselves if they think their un-vented tire is completely sealed on the rim. It’s not a water tight system just because the tires are not vented. Water resistant - meh, i’ll give ya that. Water tight? No.

Thank You! I ran non vented once..... and bounced everywhere, then all the air was lost on one..... gripped well, but couldn’t control where we were going. I listen to Eddie.

Hang up and Drive

Venting tires on aluminum beadlocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venting aluminum wheels ?? nitro5514 Tires and Wheels 6 03-10-2013 06:44 AM
How To: Venting and adding weights to beadlocks... justinart24 Tires and Wheels 4 03-16-2011 02:48 PM
venting maximizer beadlocks Thorsteenster Tires and Wheels 4 10-24-2006 12:47 PM