Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Allen wrench driver sets.....which is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrana#199 View Post
MIP thorpe are the best you can get. i have used eds and hudy before i went MIP and i am disapointed that i spent my money on anything else.
Why were you disappointed in the EDS and hudy?
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Why were you disappointed in the EDS and hudy?
well the hudy are way overprice and well something about them does not feel right to me about them. with the eds i was realitivily happy with them but i had not used the MIP yet and now that i have i wish i would have gone to MIP straight away.
pastrana#199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrana#199 View Post
well the hudy are way overprice and well something about them does not feel right to me about them. with the eds i was realitivily happy with them but i had not used the MIP yet and now that i have i wish i would have gone to MIP straight away.
What is it exactly you like MIP over EDS?

I have noticed my MIP 2.0 that I use constantly for my 3mm screws which is on most of my RC's has no sign of wear from the last 5 years, last 3yrs has been constant use building and rebuilding my cars and crawlers.
I use the MIP 2.mm along side my 2.5mm Ball Bhondus and my 3/32 ball which show tiny tiny wear but still fit fairly good.

Well MIP is made in our own U.S. country ( feel of pride) unlike the others, EDS is USA based but made in taiwan or china.

I like that MIP makes the handle with flutes and is very light. Being very picky I am tired of the yellow plastic handle. handle like Bhondus or a smoke or black tint would be a nice new century look to them, imo.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
I'm with ya, and have no intention of buying integy stuff....

so far I've narrowed it down to these choices....

http://edsracingproductsstore.com/in...od&productId=5

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB4606

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=LOSA99109 (this one is exactly the set I already had, only real complaint was that the handles could have been a little bigger)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=LOSA99120 (nice when it comes in stock I think I'll get one of these regardless cause it'd be handy)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=AGNA262

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFWE7&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFWE6&P=7

I'd appreciate input on these sets...the last one here is the one that I'm leaning toward most as the ability to pop the bits into my screw gun to take out beadlock screws quickly would be fantastic, but, I'm not sure about the ratcheting handle and short length
Out of these, EDS is only one that looks good. I have and have had Losi, RD Logics, Thorp, Dynamite, AE, Bonhdus, proly forgetting a few...

RD Logics has been the best so far, looong quality tips that have lasted years, replaceable, easy to reach screws due to tip length, hollow handles (for light weight), good size knurled handle for grip. PRiced about the same as EDS and worth the money.

Losi: tips are way too short to reach most screws, handle shape and size make it hard to get a good grip, heavy due to solid alumnium handles.

Associated: Same as Losi only slightly better grip and replaceable tips.

Dynamite: Comfortable, light weight, break the tip out of the handles under high torque and then Horizon were little bithces about replacing them under warranty and said that they were only plastic handles....well I said that Craftsman and Snap-On are plastic handles and they don't explode under high torque...lol. Guy at Horizon had nothing to say then.... Heck even the cheapo 99 cent screwdrivers at auto parts stores have plastic handles that last longer than these.

Bondhus: Handle way too small, ball tips don't last.

Thorp: only have the small 0.050" driver and it has been very good for racing buggy pinion screws. Had it for years, but the tip is short and non- replaceable.

Axial: Look nice, but haven't tried them.

Hudy: Look nice too, but have not tried them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyram View Post
MIP Thorpe drivers! Best ever made! EDS or Hudy would be a distant 2nd and 3rd.
Based on what criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
I've been using the usa made moody brand drivers for three months and have been very impressed. When I bought these the guy at the lhs said he would life time waranty them. I think he knew I would have to work real hard to destroy them.
Link to the set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
I've been using the THS set for about 4+ years and there still like new. Comes with standard and ball drivers and can be chucked in a drill for $35

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFWE7&P=7
The THS drivers look nice, but the tips are short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepperfan114 View Post
cant beat a set of bhondus hex keys, ive been using them for years
LOL>

Assuming you mean these, since you said, "hex keys..."

http://www.bondhus.com/products/l-wrenches/body-0.htm

Thier T-handle sets look nice and looks like they have improved thier handles on the screwdriver style...that's great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
check WIHA tools. good quality and decent price cuz it doesnt say RC tools on them.
Yes, Wiha makes great tools, but handles are small which is not good for high torque.

Quote:
What is it exactly you like MIP over EDS?
Yes, what is your reasoning???

Last edited by Natedog; 06-03-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Out of these, EDS is only one that looks good. I have and have had Losi, RD Logics, Thorp, Dynamite, AE, Bonhdus, proly forgetting a few...

RD Logics has been the best so far, looong quality tips that have lasted years, replaceable, easy to reach screws due to tip length, hollow handles (for light weight), good size knurled handle for grip. PRiced about the same as EDS and worth the money.

Losi: tips are way too short to reach most screws, handle shape and size make it hard to get a good grip, heavy due to solid alumnium handles, non-replaceable tips.

Associated: Same as Losi only slightly better grip and replaceable tips.

Dynamite: Comfortable, light weight, break the tip out of the handles under high torque and then Horizon were little bithces about replacing them under warranty and said that they were only plastic handles....well I said that Craftsman and Snap-On are plastic handles and they don't explode under high torque...lol. Guy at Horizon had nothing to say then....

Bondhus: Handle way too small, ball tips don't last.

Thorp: only have the small 0.050" driver and it has been very good for racing buggy pinion screws. Had it for years, but the tip is short and non- replaceable.

Axial: Look nice, but haven't tried them.

Hudy: Look nice too, but have not tried them either.
What losi ones are you using that don't have a replaceable tip? I replaced the short tips in some of my with Hudy replacement tips and have been pretty happy
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
What losi ones are you using that don't have a replaceable tip? I replaced the short tips in some of my with Hudy replacement tips and have been pretty happy
Oops, fixed it thanks.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Just found this tonight after reading this thread last week and already bought eds.

BY FAR THIS IS YOUR BEST DEAL !
I have 3 of these, wish I had the whole kit! nobody else I found offers all the sizes you need, well almost as you need 2.0 and 2.5mm

Lifetime guarantee For $17. http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/bondhus-...532-p-141.html

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 06-13-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Well, im on an extremely tight budget, so i went cheap on my self. got myself dynamite nut wrenchs. $20 for a set! and IMO they are very good for the price.

SKIP INTEGY PLEASEE!!! i have had a integy "hard ano" once and the stinken shaft snapped on its first screw. it wasnt even a screw that was locktite. just removing a screw from plastic.. I just went back to the kit tools, and worked like a charm till i bought Proline Allen wrenchs.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #49
RCC Addict

I agree, integy sucks, The wrench I use the most is almost stripped. I'm going to take an old allen wrench and make an insert so that I can still use the handle.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just found this tonight after reading this thread last week and bought eds.

BY FAR THIS IS YOUR BEST DEAL !
I have 3 of these, wish I had the whole kit! nobody else I found offers all the sizes you need, well almost as you need 2.0 and 2.5mm

Lifetime guarantee For $17. http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/bondhus-...532-p-141.html
Good deal, but I checked these out the other day and the handles are small especially on the smaller tip size. The shaft length is not bad, but RD Logics are longer.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

I bought Snap On ones.
They are a little bit pricey, but they work great.
Plus lifetime Warranty.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

I bought 3 nut drivers and 3 ball driver EDS ( RED in middle), and they are nice, I should have gone with Dubro/Bhondus
EDS is light weight with the hollow handles and has the never dying size indicator, and color coded swivel caps that can be pulled off if you want to store something inside or just shorten the bit length. handles are knurled for grip, They are nice, for me I dont need all that for RC.

Black and silver is team infinity, handles are hollow and I really liked the hex handles so they dont roll on my work bench.

The Dubro/Bhondus handles I like better because of:
Small size, easy fit in tool box. which I cannot do the same with my eds, not to mention takes up more space because of handle size.
Better grip rubber type handles.
Price, warranty.

Pro:
small handle, easy to use and store.
Cons for Dubro:
the size indicator print wears off quickly.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #53

[QUOTE=moron88;3092902]i use this type and will be buying another soon (lost all the needed bits) [url]

is there a good set to go with if you are starting with no tools at all? I should say, rc specific tools.
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I'm really happy with my Dynamites and they were only about $23 shipped to my door for the 3.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX View Post
is there a good set to go with if you are starting with no tools at all? I should say, rc specific tools.
yes there is, there are many. but i personally love Dynamite, and Proline wrenchs. However, i like dynamite kits better since they are inexpensive compared to proline, and IMHO feel like they have better wear life, compared to the more well known, and expensive prolines.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #56

I use Bondhus allen driver set, they are fantastic. The are usa made have a lifetime warranty and arent made for R/C so they dont cost an arm and a leg. I got a metric and standard set from amazon.com for around 28$ no tax and free ship. Cant go wrong with these!
thomanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Just purchased the Dubro set linked to CKRC last week at the LHS, and I am disapointed. Not all of the tips are molded straight into the handles which makes them awkward to use. The ball tips on the two smaller sizes have stripped out with only a couple pinion changes. At least the entire tip is allen shaped so it can be ground down as it wears.

The tips are too short to reach many fasteners, and the handles for the most common sizes are too small diamter and don't have a good grip, they are too smooth to use with grimy hands.

I have some drivers, only known as "samurai" that have hollow aluminum handles with nice knurling on them and replacable tips. Been using them for years and only broken the smallest tip. Replaced it with an Axial 1.5mm tip and all is good.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Just purchased the Dubro set linked to CKRC last week at the LHS, and I am disapointed. Not all of the tips are molded straight into the handles which makes them awkward to use. The ball tips on the two smaller sizes have stripped out with only a couple pinion changes. At least the entire tip is allen shaped so it can be ground down as it wears.

The tips are too short to reach many fasteners, and the handles for the most common sizes are too small diamter and don't have a good grip, they are too smooth to use with grimy hands.

I have some drivers, only known as "samurai" that have hollow aluminum handles with nice knurling on them and replacable tips. Been using them for years and only broken the smallest tip. Replaced it with an Axial 1.5mm tip and all is good.
Exactly my same experience with DuBro.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

I have those bondhus ball drivers and wouldnt buy them again for $1. They strip out every tight hex you put them into, especially cheap soft screws. I wound up buying some Snap On ones and I like them alot. Heres the thing I am pretty sure the Snap Ons are made by bondhus after doing some research. My Snap Ons are regular L wrenches with ball on the long end and if you use the ball it will strip the hell out of screws to but using the regular hex they rock. Supposedly bondhus makes the strongest hex material which is Protanium. The snap ons are made of this too.........I would recommend getting some bondhus t handles or regular drivers vs the ball drivers.
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

i have the cheaper dynamite hexes, and the smaller ones i needed i bought integys and then associated replacement tips...
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote