Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Allen wrench driver sets.....which is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #101
Status...ADDICTED!

I have found these to be excellent tools and like the extended tips which are also replaceable. Hard to beat for $45

Part#: 76200BM - 4 Pc Hex Wrench Set (Ball Tip) Metric

Part#: 76200BS - 4 Pc Hex Wrench Set (Ball Tip) Standard
ceedawwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

I saw Fasteddy using these on his youtube vids and was pretty impressed. So I asked Eddy about them and unfortunately they dont make them anymore. But I emailed Baja Skunkworks about them and basically he had a few left over.. These are just awesome to use. MIP Tips, Comfy fat handle, the handle end spins. Just way overbuilt.

1.5mm, 2.0 and 2.5.

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #103

I use the Eds tips but didn't care for the handles after a while. My favorite handles so far are the cheapy turnigy handles made for larger size bits. Tips that come with them can barely survive the trip over though.
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #104
Try to Bend it

I just scored a bunch of EDS and Hudy allen drivers. Damn it is nice to have a good set of drivers. All those rounded off screws come out so easily now.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #105

Gotta love having the right tool for the job. Also, has anyone had any real long term experience with the axials? Need a cheaper set for the travel bag.
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Gotta love having the right tool for the job. Also, has anyone had any real long term experience with the axials? Need a cheaper set for the travel bag.

The Axial Hex tools are good but the 1.5mm is not recommended for doing pinions. They are super brittle. Maybe its because there so long or the step down they put in the shaft. But my broke super easy. Also, the handles are ok, not that comfy on feel as the plastic is very hard and slippery IMO. I do like how long they are, I have the ball tips as well.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #107

For my on road TRF cars I use (used now) TRF tools and thought they were awesome. But then for kicks I bought a set of the turnigy 120mm wrenches from hobbyking...and love them.

For $10 or whatever they are for the set of 4 - 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm and 3.0mm they are great and the tips fit better than the TRF tools...

Don't discount them b/c they are cheap...they honestly work very well. I've had them for over a year now and no problems with the tips or stripping of screws.
Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #108
Rock Stacker

I use to work with ball end hex at work but on bigger srew (3mm is about the smallest) and I wonder if I should start with square or ball end? I will purchase a good kit ofr sure, probably EDS or MPS and want to spend my money at the right place. More contact area with square meens les round screw but I can use regular hallen key to break loose, am I right?
joss097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #109
Pebble Pounder

Usually I use the cheap fold up tool that you can get through Grainger, MSC or McMaster because thats what we have at work and when they get worn out i just replace them. I decided for the hell of it to get some EDS and WOW!!! thats all I have to say. What a difference. I removed the rear axle in my MRC last night and probably cut time down by about 20%. Tools mandatory for this hobby:
1) RCCRAWLER.COM
2) Quality Allens (EDS)

Now on to Nut drivers
MudboyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joss097 View Post
I use to work with ball end hex at work but on bigger screw (3mm is about the smallest) and I wonder if I should start with square or ball end? I will purchase a good kit for sure, probably EDS or MPS and want to spend my money at the right place. More contact area with square means less round screw but I can use regular allen key to break loose, am I right?
In general, you should NEVER use a ball end to torque or break free a fastener. The ball ends are great to spin stuff in & out, use a square cut wrench for the hard stuff.
Yes, there may be ball drivers that can work for tight stuff, but you have very limited contact area and will likely either strip out the head or break off the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudboyNJ View Post
Usually I use the cheap fold up tool that you can get through Grainger, MSC or McMaster because thats what we have at work and when they get worn out I just replace them. I decided for the hell of it to get some EDS and WOW!!! thats all I have to say. What a difference. I removed the rear axle in my MRC last night and probably cut time down by about 20%. Tools mandatory for this hobby:
1) RCCRAWLER.COM
2) Quality Allens (EDS)

Now on to Nut drivers
Did you know that you can regrind the square cut wrenches?? Take your time, have a cup of water handy and hold the tool near the end you're grinding. When your fingers get warm, dunk the tool in water. You NEVER want to get the tool hot enough to turn blue since you are removing the heat treatment thus making the tool softer. And nobody wants a soft tool.

[nut drivers.....I see them on the road all the time all across the country since I travel for work a lot.]
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote