Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #281
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brazing Video

I won't be able to demonstrate the difference tonight because I'm out of Mapp gas. I have to go to Lowes tomorrow anyway for some other items so I'll get stocked up then. Sorry about the delay. Rest assured, the video will be shot tomorrow.

Last edited by stelerzman; 10-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #282
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravebane525 View Post
still tossing the ideas around, but the torches with the hoses kind of caught my eye. seams like it would be easier to do if you didn;t have the large bottles sticking off the back of your torch.

does it really make as big a difference as my mind is telling me it will? can a oxy/map torch kit run off just the map if I did not need the extra heat?

Bernzomatic OX2550KC Oxy/Map-Pro Torch Kit-331673 at The Home Depot

Bernzomatic BZ8250HTKC Map-Pro Hose Torch Kit-331665 at The Home Depot

Here is the answer to your question. Read the captions in the video. Both torches, listed above, are in the video and shows you Exactly the difference of both and why you can't run Mapp only on a Mapp/oxy setup. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiAU2...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by stelerzman; 10-05-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #283
Quarry Creeper

thanks. really good to know how it functions. I've not got into brazing yet because I'm spending to much money on RC's lol. maybe come winter I'll see if I cant' find a decent setup for a fair price. both of those flames looked pretty damn big for the kinda sizes we might use in RC's. maybe after a few months of no RC expenses I'll pony up for one of the mini torches and some gas tanks for them.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #284
I wanna be Dave

I have to let you know that both setups work very well brazing 3/16" steel brakeline and SS tubing. You can find good deals on ebay for used equipments, that's where I found both my setups at very resonable prices. The only thing that adds to the cost are the tanks, which are available at hardware stores. Mapp and Oxygen are around $ 12.00 per tank.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #285
I wanna be Dave

Here's another video, this one is 1/4" SS.
SS brazing video - YouTube
Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #286
I wanna be Dave

it is almost unbelievable how easy brazing really is with the right stuff, I just picked up a torch kit that only uses only one gas bottle from a torch set up, acetylene in a small 20" tall tank....three tips and a copper tip for doing lead work like stained glass windows, now the best part of a cost of 80 bucks with a full tank of gas in a refillable bottle ....by later tonight i'll get a picture up ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #287
I wanna be Dave

here is my new set up ....

Old 10-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #288
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
Here is the answer to your question. Read the captions in the video. Both torches, listed above, are in the video and shows you Exactly the difference of both and why you can't run Mapp only on a Mapp/oxy setup. Enjoy.

Brazing setup tips - YouTube
So, another question... I assume with your Mapp/Oxy torch that you can turn it down from the flame thrower level that you show in the video?

My Mapp torch is plenty hot, but the flame is so huge that it's not what you could call a precision tool for brazing small stuff, so I'm looking for something a bit more subtle.

Looking at the Mapp/Oxy or a Smith Little Torch. Any thoughts?

TIA
Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #289
I wanna be Dave

I was looking at the lil smith and when I came across the deal I got in my picture I could not pass it up....I brazed two joints with my new set up, clamped each one in my vise and used vise grips to rip joint apart....I twisted them so hard and both joints held tight without any cracking of the joint itself, but on one I did rip the tube right next to the brazed joint ....
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #290

Do you have to use map gas with the safety silv 45? or could you get by with using a propane torch? Im curious because im thinking of attempting my first tube build using brake line.
Sharky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #291
Rock Crawler

Bob is that straight oxy in your 3ft tank? I have those size bottles for my regular torch setup. Prob just pic up a single line reg and smaller brazing tip for my rc stuff so I don't have to tig everything.
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #292
Rock Stacker

I have used propane for safety silver 45, it works fine. Not as fast and may need more time to get it to flow nicely though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
freddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #293
Rock Crawler

I recently used MAP gas and brake line with safety silv. It worked great. Here is a timelapse video of me doing it. You can turn it to high resolution and pause the video to see whats going on better. I thought it might be slightly helpful to see.

VIDEO:
Brazing front bumper timelapse Trailfinder 2 - YouTube

p.s. I know i'm probably doing it wrong but it worked for me. See pics on my TF2 build thread.
joywrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #294
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrigcustoms View Post
Bob is that straight oxy in your 3ft tank? I have those size bottles for my regular torch setup. Prob just pic up a single line reg and smaller brazing tip for my rc stuff so I don't have to tig everything.
hey sorry I missed this question, no it is acetylene only ....
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #295
RCC Addict

Got my granddad's oxy/propane setup after he passed, finally brought it home though.

But after attempting one braze, the temp in the room skyrocketed as well as setting off the smoke alarms. That torch handle is overkill for small parts (at least if trying to do it indoors)

Ordered a Hardin Micro Torch and started brazing lastnight on my chassis (first attempt) and should have watched your videos first. Overheated every weld apparently. My welds are far from pretty but they hold
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #296
I wanna be Dave

I can't believe how long I went before switching to the set up I posted, only cost me 30 bucks and the name on it is asco if I remembered right....
Old 08-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #297
Pebble Pounder

I'm gonna bump an old thread for a question I can't seem to find the answer for.

How does the silver solder work on joints that are close? Not necessarily sharing a node in the chassis, but within 1" or so of each other. Do you have to try to do these at the same time to avoid heat soak relesing the first one?
Jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #298
Rock Stacker

with low mass like chassis members you can work really close, especially if you are using a flame that's fairly tight. you can monitor the braze and watch the puddle creep if it gets too hot. I've had really good luck with both both propane and acetylene in this situation.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #299
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, I figured a tight flame would help. I'll be using a small acetylene setup (that I've honestly had for years & never had an actual need for, be nice to put that thing to use) & probably 1/4" brake line. Just doing some homework before I stumble in blind.
Jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #300
Rock Stacker

that should work great, the pointers i have are:
1. make sure the joint is relatively close fit with no large gaps.
2. make sure the joint area is sanded (bare metal) and very clean just prior to brazing.
3. apply flux only to the area you want filler to flow.
4. apply flux immediately after cleaning.
5. make sure to drill a small hole in any tubing that will be sealed off by filler / joints (no bombs!)