Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX-4 Sport

I'm not currently in the market for another rc (yeah right, we've heard that before!) but this one has my attention. A few buddy's have trx4's and I've been generally impressed by their performance, but I just felt that they had too many doo-dads and gee-whiz features for what I'd use it for. This stripped down model would lend itself much better to being a dedicated crawler, and would likely edge out the 10.2 on my short list.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yeah I love how Traxxas is listening too. They took way too long to get into this scene, but when they did they did it right and with a big bang!

Traxxas is in Texas and there's plenty of land down there, but it's about time one of the big companies bring the fun to the East Coast.
I'm from Dallas. My grandma lives a couple miles from their old HQ and we used to drive by it all the time. Not a whole lot of rock oriented offroad parks in TX and no real public land/parks with enough rock for a big event, especially near a big city. Hidden Falls near Austin might be a good place though.

And nobody wants to go to the East coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwolf3 View Post
It looks like that Vaterra kit sale just ended... In fact, several of the hobby stores are out of stock. That sale was surely to clear out retail inventory for a new product. I strongly suspect we will see a new Vaterra truck within the next 4 weeks.

As a newcomer to the scene, my research has led me to the conclusion that the Vaterra was a tremendous option 2 years ago.. but the TRX-4, ECX Barrage (and variants), and Redcat Gen7 are all newer releases that seem to offer significantly more support and stronger performance.
Horizon said that their licensing deal with GM was running out on the K5 and that is why they were blowing them out so cheap. I dont think we are going to see another Ascender...I do think that Vaterra just has sense enough that they will adjust prices to stay competitive. Axial dropped 2 similarly priced rigs and so did Traxxas.

Quality and value wise, the BND Ascender is quite a bit better than either of Axial's rigs at that price, but I think the TRX-4 has it beat.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I'm from Dallas. My grandma lives a couple miles from their old HQ and we used to drive by it all the time. Not a whole lot of rock oriented offroad parks in TX and no real public land/parks with enough rock for a big event, especially near a big city. Hidden Falls near Austin might be a good place though.

Horizon said that their licensing deal with GM was running out on the K5 and that is why they were blowing them out so cheap. I dont think we are going to see another Ascender...I do think that Vaterra just has sense enough that they will adjust prices to stay competitive. Axial dropped 2 similarly priced rigs and so did Traxxas.

Quality and value wise, the BND Ascender is quite a bit better than either of Axial's rigs at that price, but I think the TRX-4 has it beat.
That's coastist! I'm highly offended!

Horizon said they were keeping the K10 body so the GM license couldn't have expired. I think it was that the K5 Blazer body wasn't popular. It is large, but it is awesome.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Says the guy from the city that has to lure people with gambling, booze, and legal prostitution.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
That's coastist! I'm highly offended!

Horizon said they were keeping the K10 body so the GM license couldn't have expired. I think it was that the K5 Blazer body wasn't popular. It is large, but it is awesome.
It was on Vaterra's Facebook page. May 24 they posted that the K5 licensing agreement was coming to an end so the RTRs are $50 off.

In all fairness I dislike CA more than the East Coast (I lived in VA and FL for several years). CA has better scenery and weather but their politics and overcrowding suck.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Says the guy from the city that has to lure people with gambling, booze, and legal prostitution.
You forgot legal marijuana! Sounds like heaven to degenerates like me

Last edited by Col_Sanders; 06-07-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #47

Quote:
It was on Vaterra's Facebook page. May 24 they posted that the K5 licensing agreement was coming to an end so the RTRs are $50 off.

In all fairness I dislike CA more than the East Coast (I lived in VA and FL for several years). CA has better scenery and weather but their politics and overcrowding suck.
I've never been to CA. I'd like to visit and go riding in the sand dunes. But I agree that the politics are atrocious. Oh I'm also jealous of the sand paper looking rocks you have out there. Maximum traction action!

PA is becoming overcrowded because all the city...slickers that want to work in NY, Philly, and Jersey are moving here away from all that garbage.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #48

Default TRX-4 Sport

Where does the Carisma Coyote come into this hierarchy? I remember hearing pretty positive things about it months ago but then nothing.

Redcat gen7, sane question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TroopThrowback; 06-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.
TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #49
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Hey man, I resemble that remark.

Prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas though; not that I know from experience haha.

Tons of great crawling out here, I second Sanders’ notion that they need to bring the party to the desert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopThrowback View Post
Where does the Carisma Coyote come into this hierarchy? I remember hearing pretty positive things about it months ago but then nothing
There’s a LHS out here that regularly raffles these off, I haven’t gotten lucky yet but hoping I can get my hands on one, looks rad.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 06-07-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Where does the Carisma Coyote come into this hierarchy? I remember hearing pretty positive things about it months ago but then nothing.

Redcat gen7, sane question.
I would rate both of those trucks well below Traxxas, Axial, Vaterra, & HPI but above not having a truck.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #51

Quote:
I would rate both of those trucks well below Traxxas, Axial, Vaterra, & HPI but above not having a truck.

In what ways and why?

Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In what ways and why?
The Redcat is basically an old SCX10 that is just different enough that most of the available aftermarket parts don't fit. If it is your first crawler, you will probably think it is amazing but having driven other trucks will make you realize why all the other manufacturers have moved on to new generations of trucks.

I have heard the words cheap and toy-like used often to describe the feel of Carisma truck. Cheap isn't a word that can be attached to your truck if you want to be mentioned in the same sentence as the big boys. You can make a lower cost truck that doesn't feel cheap. The MST CFX/CMX, for example, is rather low end but uses quality plastics and does not feel like a toy. Besides, $300 is playing a bit to close to the price of some legitimately good trucks.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Horizon said that their licensing deal with GM was running out on the K5 and that is why they were blowing them out so cheap.
Quote:
Horizon said they were keeping the K10 body so the GM license couldn't have expired.
Licensing is almost always done by the individual model, so Col_Sanders is likely right on point.

EDIT: oops I see now that Col_Sanders already clarified that point

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-07-2018 at 02:34 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

holy crap! traxxas actually LISTENED to people?!!

this is a GREAT deal for the portals alone!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Licensing is almost always done by the individual model, so Col_Sanders is likely right on point.

EDIT: oops I see now that Col_Sanders already clarified that point
I wonder if licensing is holding up the release of the ‘69 Blazer & pick-up bodies from Axial.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
This is Traxxas sending a shot across the bow of the big boys in the crawler/scaler game.

The game will get very interesting from here on out!
Yup, the more the merrier.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
I wonder if licensing is holding up the release of the ‘69 Blazer & pick-up bodies from Axial.
This is an odd situation, because the old red Chevy truck body has been shown multiple times including, I believe, at the Proline by the Fire event.

There was a mention that it was only going to be a new Axial body release, not a new vehicle - perhaps just like the Jeep NuKizer and Mighty FC bodies?

Why they don't just get on with it is a bit confusing, because quite some time has passed since it was first seen.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
Possibly, in the sim racing world the entire brand of Porsche cars was snatched up by EA who held it for decades and the cars were only available in EA's (terrible) games. Only recently has that changed and we've finally gotten access to Porsche's in different games.

So yes sometimes a license can be "exclusive", but I have no real clue if thats the case for Axial
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #59

Pre-ordered from Amain. I'd been wanting a TRX-4 but it was just a little too costly for me, this is still a lot of money but a little easier to swallow.
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #60

Quote:
The Redcat is basically an old SCX10 that is just different enough that most of the available aftermarket parts don't fit. If it is your first crawler, you will probably think it is amazing but having driven other trucks will make you realize why all the other manufacturers have moved on to new generations of trucks.

I have heard the words cheap and toy-like used often to describe the feel of Carisma truck. Cheap isn't a word that can be attached to your truck if you want to be mentioned in the same sentence as the big boys. You can make a lower cost truck that doesn't feel cheap. The MST CFX/CMX, for example, is rather low end but uses quality plastics and does not feel like a toy. Besides, $300 is playing a bit to close to the price of some legitimately good trucks.

Well when the redcat is only $199 and even the pro is $249 that shrinks the gap considerably. I don’t have experience with those trucks, but head to head the build quality of my trx4 makes all the axials owned between myself and my brother all feel cheap. And that goes for the newest scx10.2 wrangler with factory lights and metal links. It feels like a toy compared to the Traxxas. So to me build quality between two “top tier” Crawler brands vary so widely it makes me think there’s enough axial fanboy to go around.

TRX-4 Sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Rock Sport Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 09-11-2017 02:36 AM
New to the sport R Hall Oklahoma 11 08-01-2015 03:06 PM
new to sport. sbrown5570 Newbie General 5 04-01-2013 09:59 PM
new to the sport itzlouie Newbie General 2 02-22-2011 06:05 PM
new to the sport rockbronco Newbie General 5 03-13-2006 04:22 PM