Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F-150 RANGER LARIAT

No problem! I traded video game controllers for tiny truck controllers a few years ago and racing games were sone of my favorites. Still dabble from time to time.

That paint job turned out awesome! Love that color combo. I'm debating a new body for one of my Ascenders. I'm a bowtie guy so maybe a stretched K10 is in my future...

Can't wait for the pics. Between you and Nate I'm sure you'll get a few of us jealous enough to join the fun next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

Thanks!
yeah i guess i should have been more descriptive that forza is an xbox game haha
its great fun and allows for SOME crawling, but later this month a BIG offroad/crawling sim from the PC world is finally making the jump to consoles... SPIN TIRES. they are releasing a "mud engine" physics update and at the same time finally going over to consoles. i cant WAIT!!!
meanwhile forza horizon is an open world racing branched from forza motorsport (they just released the 7th iteration of motorsport this month) and horizon offshoot should get their 4th iteration sometime next year.
its mostly geared to cars, but there has been a substantial increase of off road vehicles in recent years.
*link to spin tires game
http://www.mudrunner-spintires.com/en

anyway...
ascender'nMN84, i am a bowtie guy too, and ironically so was my pop. but for some reason he had this 79 ford for most of my life and it just really represents his memory to me. resonates with his spirit, if that makes any sense.
that said, i would also love to build a 70's chevy. most likely will have a vintage baja style to it. might even put it on this chassis, and grab a new "RGT bowler" that has 11" wb to put my pop's ford on.
i figure 1 speed basic function is more suited to this tribute, and the baja chevy would make better use of the bells and whistles ascender 2 speed trans for go fast, and a tuff-as-nails servo winch. and i wouldnt be afraid to put the chevy truck through hell as much as my 79 tribute "DSTP" style truck.

so yeah, come on in, this vintage pickup water is fine!

Last edited by Shinchu; 10-18-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
Your not done yet
not sure you if are asking me, or telling me? lol

but no, I'm not done yet. this ascender build is going to take a LONG... long time.
but, when i get it running to the point it actually looks like a truck... i will slow down once it comes to trying to scratch build a camper shell. but once i can actually drive it as it looks without a shell i will by happy enough to start on another build, and i can back burner the camper shell for a bit.

so phase 1, get it running and looking like a truck, is almost done.
just need a shifting servo, wheels/tires, and mount the body.

the rest is just fine tuning and details.

next build is either going to be a 70's chevy "baja" theme, or maybe start on my drifter project(s)?

oh, another big thing going on that could impact the speed of this build...

I BOUGHT A HOUSE!!!!!! again.
well, in escrow anyway. seller needs to agree to a couple things before we close the deal. but its looking good! 3 car garage, so plenty of room for an RC workbench (and room to wrench on the 'vette)!
backyard could easily have a small crawling trail along the back fence, and has RV parking so i might even put a dedicated shed for RC workbench and storage.
I'm stoked you guys. my family is really excited too.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

That's awesome man! Congrats! My grandparents built the house I own now but space is becoming an issue for us. Maybe in a couple years when the family is bigger we'll look at something bigger and rent out the current house. Plus I just bought the place last summer...

As for the vintage trucks, I'm all about it. I love that this truck is a tribute to your old man. I got and built my first Ascender because my pops had K5's growing up. Black with silver just like his minus the red pinstripes to separate the colors. Confidence antler wasn't big enough at the time and I figured I could just use red pinstriping on the outside of the shell if it really bothered me. It hasn't.

Off to the web to build shopping carts of goodies. Keep up the good work!

If a group of guys assemble with their Ascenders does that make it an AA meeting?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #85
Slow is the new Fast

Congrats on the house Shinchu! Always better to have more room for RC.

AA meeting... :-D
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Hahaha yes!

Hi, my name is chris and im an ascenderholic...
Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Ernie, care package received!
i almost missed it. post man hid it very well on my porch. went out at 11pm because i forgot to get the kitty litter out of my wife's grand Cherokee. Lo and behold, there is a Jconcepts box!
i wish you guys could have seen me trying to open the door carrying a 10 pound box of litter in one hand, and a care package in the other... LOL
but like i said, the witching hour was near... i didn't open it, much as i wanted to.
Ernie, THANK YOU!

this weekend you fellas are going to see some of that promised progress!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #88
Slow is the new Fast

Planning to do an interior? Do you happen to know of any Ford style interiors out there? There are a couple for older Chevy's just have yet to find a more boxy looking Ford interior.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

i was actually doing my morning reading (lol) of RC Car action, noticed the proline "classic truck" interior could work as a template. gut the dash face and scratch build ford gauges and trim... presto!
I'm gonna give it a whirl later.
also need to figure out driver... figures. old man obi-wan Kenobi has a decent beard that could pass for my pop with some paint changes. actually... old man luke would be even better! just need a bigger 7 inch scale figure. Disney makes metal ones that size but i haven't seen the old luke yet from that line. then i need a body to swap onto. just a 7 inch figure with jeans and t shirt style. and a 1:10 scale husky. our old dog, Chico. he was absolutely the Chewbacca of our falcon.
question is, do i make a figure of myself as young 10 year old ruger 10/22 sharpshooter chris? or a modern "chip off the old block" navy veteran chris? i'd like the later... like he never left. aw dammit feels... sorry.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #90
Slow is the new Fast

I like your ambition.

I was looking at Humboldts k10 build and the classic seems a great fit for the body. No doubt the console lines are much too rounded for a Ford. Having little experience with Styrene I have to question how well it will bond with the plastic dash. Any insight?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

two words:

SHOE. GOO.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

First off, Ernie, the paint job on this is jaw dropping. The brown is beautiful. I didnt think that was possible but it is. Thank you sir.

Okay, so i did some work today.

Took the linkage apart for the 2 speed shifter. Used my dremel to grind down the fitting at the end for the ball socket. Gave about 3 mm more room. Just enough. Still touches but doesnt deflect the front driveshaft as bad as it used to. Success.

Then i ordered the radiolink 4 channel rc3s remote. Will be here on the 22nd of november. Yuck. Gotta love the slow boat from china, yes?

Also, body is 11 inch wheelbase. I thought the ascender was 11 also. Well... its close. Depends if its k10 blazer, c10, or bronco, right?
So as close as it was, i tried adjusting the front links as short as i could. Closer, but... not quite there.

So now, i sit at a fork in the road. Its got 3 prongs.

1. Get the shortest bronco links (aftermarket of course)
2. Deal with it and run as-is and maybe it wont be as noticable on 1.55 wheels?
3. Move the ford to a new rgt bowler 11 chassis and be done.

Here is the stipulation to all of you crying "fowl" at number 3...

Brace yourselves for feels...

If i use a different chassis for my dads tribute build, what happens to the current ascender that was so graciously provided by Ernie, aka CODYBOY, aka mr ascender axle improver and care package extrodinaire?

I would build the sickest, most badass vintage chevy baja king of hammers super scale hold on to your butts rig you have ever seen!!!
And dedicate it entirely to Ernie.

Yup. Seems about right.

So, what will it be, fellas? I think option 3 sounds pretty good.

My name is chris, and im an ascenderholic. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

The waiting for parts from China sucks, Now I'm waiting for help with my TT02 steering problems, can't figure out the tie rods
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

I definitely vote option 3!

My name is Ryan, I approve this message and am an Ascenderholic.

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 10-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Just double ckecking before you buy stuff. Did you slide your frame rails together as far as you could, the bronco 11 inch wheelbase has them slid together all the way. You took out any spacers on the links right? The longer WB trucks add spacers to get the longer lengths.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

The links on this truck are aftermarket lunsford titanium.
Thats why i would have to swap out to bronco length aftermarket, because the stock ones bend if you look at them too hard.
And sliding the frame only affects the shock angles, but yes i would have done that too if i could get the wb right.

Thanks though.

I watched a ton of chevy rc vids on youtube last night. Pretty sure im going to try a clodbuster with fender flares. Gonna dremel out the flares so its got clearence inside for tire tuck when it flexes. Not that there is a ton of flex on this truck, but i want clearence just in case.
All in due time...
Old 10-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Hey Chris, before you go to far into changes I can probably come up with different ti links to adjust your wheel base.
And just for some of you that missed the RPP Jamboree, what a great time we had, and this old man won his class at the event!!! Big surprise on my part!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Awesome!!! Congrats on the win! I hope to see more about that from you. Is there a thread for it already?
Dont worry about those links. I have a plan.
I think it consists of a chevy cab with modular beds... ;)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Good source of animal figures with pretty good detail and quality.
https://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/cat.../result/?q=dog
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

thanks for the link. the husky is great and looks a lot like Chico, just needs brown eyes (he was mixed with malamute) and he always stood up in the back lol he would never sit down, like he preferred to stumble around back there over terrain haha
i think i found a couple figures, NECA makes great stuff and in 7 inch scale. just not sure what heads to use.

not much else for progress right now. the 4 ch. radiolink tx/rx is on its way from china via slowboat. bought from amazon with a prime account thinking it would be here in a couple days. WRONG. Nov 22nd at the latest. anything before that i'd be surprised.
i guess i was doing my best Nostradamus when i said i would make progress after the holidays?
moving might put a delay on all this anyway. i mean it will, certainly. in a good way ;)

Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tribute to my Dad: 79 F100 Lariat - help me start Shinchu Paint and Body 8 08-11-2017 11:58 AM
Banzai II: TTC FJ Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 06-08-2011 05:39 PM
Banzai or WarriorII addictedtonitro Electronics 20 02-09-2009 06:09 PM