Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tribute to my Dad's 79 F-150 RANGER LARIAT

Okay here goes... my first build thread.

Some of you may have seen the start of this in the body and paint section, looking for a body and chassis to match up for a good representation of a 79 f series. Its lexan but hey its a start. Ended up going with Jconcepts 79 f250 body on a vaterra acsender chassis.

Why?
Long story short, my dad owned one. He got me into rc. He passed in 2015 and this is going to help me cope by taking him with me on various rc adventures.

His was an F150 ranger Lariat, brown and tan 2 tone. Nothing crazy 302 automatic... RWD.
Its the first thing i ever drove when i was about 10, coming home from a camping trip in the high desert of socal. That is the configuration i want to build it in. Glasslite bed topper loaded up with camping gear. Gun racks. Coleman camping stove, tent with poles. I remember he made is own carpet kit too. He was quite the wood worker.
And yes i plan to scratch build a bed from styrene, and adjust a rc4wd mojave bed topper to fit.

Wheels and tires... it had some 12 hole steel wheels with 31" tires at most. Tht said im going with 1.55 for a modest realistic approach. I have contacted REC for a set of wheels. They are bang on accurate to what my dad had.
Tires will likely be some 1.55 rc4wd that look like older bfg t/a.

Im going to do this very slowly as i dont have much "play money" to just flat out buy an acsender. I will be following a formula very close to Harleys $50 deadbolt project.
That said, i dont have a whole lot to start off this thread. But, here goes...

On with the pics already!!!

What im starting with...

Decided on this body

3d printed flat belly trans mount

And by request, because we acsender guys seem to love cats? My lovely assisant Banzai the american short hair!

Thats it for now. Currently chasing down frame rails, axles and might have wheels coming from REC depending on what he says back to me via emai.
Once i figure out measurements for the links, i will get the set for the bronco wheelbase as thats wht i discovered will fit the 11 inch wheelbase of the Jconcepts body.

Thanks for reading! I hope to have updates at least monthly. Trying to sell airsoft rifles to fund this and its harder to sell them than i thought.

"ACSENDERS, ASSEMBLE!"

*more banzai, mostly to test tinypic

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-18-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: discovered its NOT an F-100 afterall
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

Sounds like a great build, sorry for the loss of your father. Kitties and Ascenders just go together it seems. What else are you looking for besides axles and frame rails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
"ACSENDERS, ASSEMBLE!"

Last edited by Natedog; 08-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

wow I thought tinypic was acting weird last night but YIKES!!! half didn't load, and 1 that did is ENORMOUS. epic fail on this thread so far huh? lol will get it fixed when I get home tonight.

as far as what else I need... um... everything? sorry pics didn't load but I literally have the trans mount, drive shafts, battery tray, and another couple doodads im not sure where they go yet.
so yeah I pretty much need... everything. transmission, gears, links (for bronco or I think its WB2? needs to be 11" WB for the Jconcepts body)
might have axles and a shell topper soon...

anybody know if I can get cans of brown and tan spraypaint for lexan? hope I don't need an airbrush but its looking like I might.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

These are the type of builds I truly enjoy watching. Not about performance, but about being a tribute and having meaning behind them. Priceless piece of tiny truck art! I will definitely be watching this build!
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
...as far as what else I need... um... everything? sorry pics didn't load but I literally have the trans mount, drive shafts, battery tray, and another couple doodads im not sure where they go yet.
so yeah I pretty much need... everything. transmission, gears, links (for bronco or I think its WB2? needs to be 11" WB for the Jconcepts body)
might have axles and a shell topper soon...

anybody know if I can get cans of brown and tan spraypaint for lexan? hope I don't need an airbrush but its looking like I might.
OK, thanks. Thanks for testing pics, Banzai is super cute! I'd try Tamiya for the browns and tans, they have an amazing line of stock colors. You could mix your own and use an airbrush.

Tamiya lexan spray:
Tamiya Color Spray for Polycarbonate

https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln/72/PS-chart.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
These are the type of builds I truly enjoy watching.
Yes.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

thanks. yeah I have looked at Tamiya's website for all the colors, nothing in a ready-to-use can. I have always used Tamiya paint, RC, models, custom action figures... but yeah it looks like I might need to step my game up and get an airbrush kit. I just really don't have room for it right now.

as for the pics... tinypic is really acting screwy right now. if somebody can recommend an alternative free image hosting site?
Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks. yeah I have looked at Tamiya's website for all the colors, nothing in a ready-to-use can. I have always used Tamiya paint, RC, models, custom action figures... but yeah it looks like I might need to step my game up and get an airbrush kit. I just really don't have room for it right now.

as for the pics... tinypic is really acting screwy right now. if somebody can recommend an alternative free image hosting site?
Hey Chris, I should have your axles ready to ship Monday. Because of your motive for wanting to do this build, I'm going to help you out as much as I can. So.........I'm going to be sending a little care package with the axles to help you get on with your build. I think it is really cool that you want to honor him and at the same time being able to spend time with your son as you do it!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ernie... I am at a loss for words right now. I can't begin to describe how amazing it is that you would do this for me.
with all the emotions and gratefulness running through my heart right now, all I can say with my entire soul right now is

THANK YOU.

now with that said... no pressure on this build, right?? ;) seriously if this all comes together the way I intend, it wont let anybody down who comes across this thread and sticks around long enough for me to finish. I just wish somebody made a 1:10 hardbody 79 F series. lexan will have to do until then. then again, James at Knight customs just announced some crazy partnership with shapeways, so... who knows what we might get? or I could always try scratch building from styrene. anyway...

Ernie I really do appreciate your help and recognizing the significance of this build. I just hope I can finish this and cut onions at the same time. again... THANK YOU.

btw sorry about the pics still not working. took some time to focus on my twins turning 9. my son loves his barrage and I have already done some bobsuruncle and hillbilly mods, I need to post over there in the barrage threads how great that thing is with a few simple mods. (grind down pumpkin stubbs, flip battery tray brace and trim bump stops)
my son's barrage has also thrown gasoline on the fire for how passionate I am for this vaterra build to get finished. I drove his truck for 5 minutes and it was incredible.

so as soon as I can get some pics uploaded, and when that amazing codyboy care package arrives... well I think Doc Brown said it best, "You're gonna see some serious s#!t." ;)

like I said before: thank/hug your pop, and go crawl something! with your son! or daughter! or nephew! or whoever!
Old 08-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ernie... I am at a loss for words right now. I can't begin to describe how amazing it is that you would do this for me.
with all the emotions and gratefulness running through my heart right now, all I can say with my entire soul right now is

THANK YOU.

now with that said... no pressure on this build, right?? ;) seriously if this all comes together the way I intend, it wont let anybody down who comes across this thread and sticks around long enough for me to finish. I just wish somebody made a 1:10 hardbody 79 F series. lexan will have to do until then. then again, James at Knight customs just announced some crazy partnership with shapeways, so... who knows what we might get? or I could always try scratch building from styrene. anyway...

Ernie I really do appreciate your help and recognizing the significance of this build. I just hope I can finish this and cut onions at the same time. again... THANK YOU.

btw sorry about the pics still not working. took some time to focus on my twins turning 9. my son loves his barrage and I have already done some bobsuruncle and hillbilly mods, I need to post over there in the barrage threads how great that thing is with a few simple mods. (grind down pumpkin stubbs, flip battery tray brace and trim bump stops)
my son's barrage has also thrown gasoline on the fire for how passionate I am for this vaterra build to get finished. I drove his truck for 5 minutes and it was incredible.

so as soon as I can get some pics uploaded, and when that amazing codyboy care package arrives... well I think Doc Brown said it best, "You're gonna see some serious s#!t." ;)

like I said before: thank/hug your pop, and go crawl something! with your son! or daughter! or nephew! or whoever!
Ok, package is on its way, I couldn't quite take 6mm on each side, but did get 5mm. I think you'll like the few little extra parts I sent. Maybe once you can get some photos back up we can see what parts you will be needing to get you off and running. I may be able to call in some favors from a few of the guys on here to help out.
Ernie
Old 08-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

okay now Pavlov has rung the bell and I'm DROOLING!!!

meanwhile I need to see if my airsoft guns have any bites yet, and maybe tinypic is ok now? will try re-uploading the first 3...
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
okay now Pavlov has rung the bell and I'm DROOLING!!!

meanwhile I need to see if my airsoft guns have any bites yet, and maybe tinypic is ok now? will try re-uploading the first 3...
Well Chris, it looks like your axles and parts found the slow boat from China!
It now looks like you will get them Monday. I sent you a PM with the tracking #. Sorry
Ernie
Old 08-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

imgbb to the rescue!!!
Did a search for image hosting with resizing, imgbb is great! So now that i have ability to post pics... i have some incredible images to post.

So, as you saw above, Ernie and i have been working out a deal. Quite possibly the greatest care package EVER has arrived.

They say pics are worth a thousand words. I think these might be worth millions...

Last edited by Shinchu; 08-27-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I did advanced edit to update the title but... only shows up after you click it?

Anyway... update! See above lol
Old 08-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Awesome care package, can't wait to see your crawl pics when the body is painted and installed!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

the care package was so beautiful I wept. full disclosure.

yeah the wheelbase is 99% spot-on. might have to add spacers to shim the links a tad. its not enough to justify adjusting the frame.
now I need to figure out the body, like you said. either I find a method of renting/borrowing an airbrush setup, learn how to use it, or... I hate this idea but... pay somebody else to paint. I am quite the experienced lexan guy, with multiple drift car bodies under my belt. I have done a beautiful purple with rainbow flake S15 silvia for my wife's drifter, a smoked champagne AE86 Levin that has incredible depth... so I would really like to paint this truck myself.
I would post pics of those drifter shells but they are in a giant Rubbermaid tub in storage at the moment :( might get back to those when I finish this F100.

for the body I need to figure out paint, find some accurate mirrors, scratch build a styrene drop bed and interior... eventually try to scratch build a glasstite bed topper and carpet kit. I might even build it so the drop bed and topper are 1 piece that just drops in and uses pins hidden by the carpet kit and camping gear. we shall see. I have never build anything like this from styrene. biggest thing I have done was intercoolers for the drift cars lol so this will be a fun challenge!
also might see if my local shop has any traxxas bigfoot #1 on display, maybe that amazing molded chrome grill will fit the jconcepts body? worth a shot... would still need a stock looking front bumper though. speaking of bumpers, I have an idea for the license plates. so I need a source for those.

anyway, yeah. Ernie is one hell of a guy. all I need is a new tx/rx, motor, and batt. and it will drive. im thinking holmes trailmaster sport on 2S.

so yeah, that's where im at right now.

Last edited by Shinchu; 08-28-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
the care package was so beautiful I wept. full disclosure.

yeah the wheelbase is 99% spot-on. might have to add spacers to shim the links a tad. its not enough to justify adjusting the frame.
now I need to figure out the body, like you said. either I find a method of renting/borrowing an airbrush setup, learn how to use it, or... I hate this idea but... pay somebody else to paint. I am quite the experienced lexan guy, with multiple drift car bodies under my belt. I have done a beautiful purple with rainbow flake S15 silvia for my wife's drifter, a smoked champagne AE86 Levin that has incredible depth... so I would really like to paint this truck myself.
I would post pics of those drifter shells but they are in a giant Rubbermaid tub in storage at the moment :( might get back to those when I finish this F100.

for the body I need to figure out paint, find some accurate mirrors, scratch build a styrene drop bed and interior... eventually try to scratch build a glasstite bed topper and carpet kit. I might even build it so the drop bed and topper are 1 piece that just drops in and uses pins hidden by the carpet kit and camping gear. we shall see. I have never build anything like this from styrene. biggest thing I have done was intercoolers for the drift cars lol so this will be a fun challenge!
also might see if my local shop has any traxxas bigfoot #1 on display, maybe that amazing molded chrome grill will fit the jconcepts body? worth a shot... would still need a stock looking front bumper though. speaking of bumpers, I have an idea for the license plates. so I need a source for those.

anyway, yeah. Ernie is one hell of a guy. all I need is a new tx/rx, motor, and batt. and it will drive. im thinking holmes crawler expert on 2S.

so yeah, that's where im at right now.
Hey Chris, if you want I can paint your body! I have been painting since the early 80s, even won a couple concourse at off road Nats in Denver and Spokane. Painting is only something I do for friends and my self, I don't to go their for my business. Up to you! Because of shipping, if I know what body you want to use I could order it, paint and ship to you. That way you would have a extra body you could beat up when playing.
Ernie
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Ernie I think you are my RC guardian angel.
let me check around, but I will most likely take you up on that (very generous) offer.

somewhat related, i think i might have a pic or two of my dad's actual truck on a CD photo album. when i get home tonight i will look and see, and host them on imgbb if my hunch is correct.
i mean, its your typical 79 ford two-tone brown with cream in the center/roof, but i would love to have the actual truck as a reference for this build. going off memory gets sketchy at this age considering i haven't seen it in 10 years, even though im sure i have every nook and craney memorized.

thanks again Ernie. i hope you don't get tired of hearing that!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 *UPDATE 27 AUG*

Ernie is the man! No I haven't forgotten about you Ernie, I head to the post office in the morning hopefully!

Can't wait to see how this truck turns out. With your personal attachment and the support of guys and like Ernie and Nate to lean on makes the build that much better. They both helped me immensely on my last build.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'm really enjoying this build, and can't wait till it really starts coming together! It just might be fate that you chose the Ascender as the foundation of your build because you wont find the help that Ernie, Nate and many others in this section are willing to give anywhere else. Reading Nate's thread and Ernie's goodies have really made my little Bronco and long wheels base Bronco pretty impressive and bullet proof. I know for a fact I couldn't have built what I have without them.
Good luck with your build and jump on that Lexan and make it your bitch! You'll find that it's pretty easy to build with and actually pretty dang fun. One thing I do when building an interior is to Google images of what I'm wanting to do and print a pile of pictures to look at while I'm building my interior. Different angles to look at sure seem to help.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 *UPDATE 27 AUG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Ernie is the man! No I haven't forgotten about you Ernie, I head to the post office in the morning hopefully!

Can't wait to see how this truck turns out. With your personal attachment and the support of guys and like Ernie and Nate to lean on makes the build that much better. They both helped me immensely on my last build.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I wasn't concerned one bit.
Besides I know where you live.
Ernie

Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tribute to my Dad: 79 F100 Lariat - help me start Shinchu Paint and Body 8 08-11-2017 11:58 AM
Banzai II: TTC FJ Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 06-08-2011 05:39 PM
Banzai or WarriorII addictedtonitro Electronics 20 02-09-2009 06:09 PM