Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Rastas TwinHammerz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rastas TwinHammerz

I got time, tomorrow to start the steering, just wondering if there are any tricks I need to know...
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Really liking these front shocks right now, I took the hammerz with me to my local club race, which is a high bite indoor clay track(A MAIN HOBBIES OUTBACK RACEWAY), and took it out for some practice laps, it didn't like the sticky clay all that much, but it jumped all the triples, tables, and gaps just great.. It's hella fast too, kept up with some mod buggies, but had me in the corners... All the local racers loved it... Some were talking about a class at the outdoor track... I say we just need a u4rc track here in extreme Northern California..

Another garage shot, going camping in the hills for a couple of nights, bringing the crawlers and my hammerz... Pics to follow... Still haven't done the steering conversion, but I got the parts I just have to sit still and install that thing...lol...
Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

looking great mate !! awaiting pics "hammercamp" lol
biggamehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Here's a couple of shots from my hike this morning down to the creek..

Some grind holes in the top of the granite outcropping..

Granite crawling..

My backyard crawl spot..

Enjoy..
Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

great pics ! thanks for sharing
biggamehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Ok got started on the steering conversion this morning, just pulled it all apart, still wondering if anyone has done this yet, which I know some of you have, really just looking for any tips... Pics to follow...
Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

You ever figure out the steering?
customforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaman View Post
Ok got started on the steering conversion this morning, just pulled it all apart, still wondering if anyone has done this yet, which I know some of you have, really just looking for any tips... Pics to follow...
I was thinking of doing the steering upgrade down the road, so any pics would be a great reference tool. Hope you get it all figured out.
kookie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Ok finished up the steering this afternoon, took alittle of figuring out, I didn't know the servo was supposed to move up on the chassis plate at first.. When I figured that out it all went together pretty fast...I also had to make a custom connector from servo to bell crank.. I used a sc10 servo connector but put a cut in half losi one on the bell crank side and a associated one on the servo side..see the pic.. Anyway had to Dremel off the screw holes that holds the old steering rack, it allowed for more movement in the bell crank..ok here's some pics
I'm gonna take it back apart tonite, as it was only mocked up so I could make sure it worked correctly, gotta locktite the metal to metal connections..
Also I'm putting in some thicker diff fluid too.. 5000 is what I have, we will see how that works..

Enjoy...
Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I already changed the servo, steering rack connection with some short rc4wd rod ends.. Much more better..
Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Nice set up! Thx for the pics. Does the link to the bellcrank bind up at all? Do you get full steering with it?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Oh never mind just noticed the wheels were turned in the pic. I thought they were straight lol
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I haven't taking it out yet, seems like it won't bid to me.. When I had it mocked up the steering worked fairly well, it does seem like it turns more one way than the other a little.. I might have to grind alittle more on the front where it hits alittle , I think that's what stops it from turning all the way one direction..
I should have it back together today and run it around and see how it actually works under some heavy crawling and racing...
As always pics to follow...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #55
Pebble Pounder

the link between the servo arm and the bellcrank is too short and at a bad angle. Try to make that as long as possible to fix the issues. I would try to run it from the pass side under the plate if the arm it attaches to can be rotated 90 degrees.
indysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

^ +1
Pockets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Here's some pics of the steering from right to left...

The traxxas bell crank is pressed together and this is how it seems to be the way it's supposed to go..the holes were already per drilled in the blue monkey upright shock tower.. I could get a longer servo arm..
I never got to run it today, hopefully tommorow, and il really get to see if it works or not.. On the bench the steering is tight and smooth..
Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #58
Rock Stacker

Hi rasta,
I think the post with the lever connecting to the servo should go to the other side. This way, you can keep the servo in the stock location and get a straight line connection.
Some good detailed pics here in this thread.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
MrJugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

I tried to mount it on that side , but the bell crank is pressed together so it will only fit on the drivers side.. Plus when you flip it over it puts the connector between the two bell cranks on the bottom of the drive shaft and it won't even work that way, there's no room..
I'm gonna run it today and see how it works the way it is setup right now.. Maybe I'll make a short video so you all can see it in action...
Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaman View Post
I tried to mount it on that side , but the bell crank is pressed together so it will only fit on the drivers side.. Plus when you flip it over it puts the connector between the two bell cranks on the bottom of the drive shaft and it won't even work that way, there's no room..
I'm gonna run it today and see how it works the way it is setup right now.. Maybe I'll make a short video so you all can see it in action...
I looked closely at the pictures from that post, and you can clearly see some marks left by a plier on the perimeter of the lever ring. see below (shinny little white spots)

So I guess there's a way to get that lever out and reposition it as is needed.
Just trying to help.
Cheers
MrJugger is offline   Reply With Quote