Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Rastas TwinHammerz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rastas TwinHammerz

Hello RCC,
Well I have been looking at all your hammers so I wanted to share mine..

I have had mine since the week it was released. I didn't do much to in the beginning, had the typical servo problem, fixed it and moved on..first real change was different electronics, I started with a Novak gtb setup cuz I had it.. I put a 10.5 Novak motor to match and there it was till I broke the front upper brace, like three times so I put it away for a while, until recently.. I pulled it off the shelve blew the dust off and decided I wanted to do a little bit of upgrades..

... I was liking all different hammers here on this thread..

First thing I upgraded was the wheels and tires, I went with proline flat irons on axial wheels. (Looking for different wheels just can't make up my mind..)

Ok so for my recent purchases of upgrades were mostly blue monkey stuff,
I got there stage two rear suspension upgrade, and the gcm rear truss, I also got the blue monkey front upright shock mount.. I am using 90mm king shocks up front with 9mm of limiting so the dog bones don't fall out..
In the pics I got some axial stock shocks for mock up..
I also tore out that Novak setup and put a tekin rs with a 8.5 tekin gen2 motor, (talking h.p.!) this thing scoots..I'm working on gearing for that too, looking for anyone's opinion or knowledge on their gearing and what maybe you run? Like what spur pinion do you use? 32p or 48p

That's as far as I am now on this project.

Plan next to install the traxxas bell crank steering, and silly putty in the front diff..
Also I got carter fab panels coming..

Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rastas TwinHammerz

love what you have done with your rig , the flat irons are a great tyre imn my opinion , as long as you get the foams right , thanks for sharing following with interest, shaun
biggamehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

what battery do you use in your TH? I've been looking into front upright shock mounts solely because I want my battery up front, do you think it would fit this battery Dynamite 7 4V 4000mAh 2S 30c LiPo 96mm 22 Twin Hammers DYN5306EC | eBay

PS-holy hell I bet that sucker's quick now with that Tekin
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For batteries I'm running a protek shorty pack it's 100c and has 4300mah, balls to the wall battery, I use them I my race cars..
I was thinking of putting the battery upfront, but I'm not to keen on hacking up the cage, so you can get the battery in and out.. I have been running the hammers with no body/cage just for testing purposes and I have been zip tieing the batt up front, i like the weight distribution.. But still can't get over cutting the cage to move it there...

That dynamite battery would work..

Has anyone installed the traxxas bell crank steering yet? Just looking for any heads up on it..

I also moved the spare tire forward just a bit, I flip flopped the mount and got the tire to move like a inch , it looks much mo betta.. Pics to follow..

Biggamehunter I think I got the foams right, at least for my driving style, they are on the harder side but still have a little give to crawl.. So for cornering at high speeds , the tires don't buckle..

Still tring to get the gearing dialed any info would be much appreciated....
Old 01-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

As you can see In the pics , I removed the servo for the trans and glued it into high gear only.. Now it's a one speed tranny, I never really used low gear anyway even when crawling...
Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

sounds like you run the same type of style as me rastaman , i have unlocked my rear diff and converted it to a semi locker , amazing difference the rig realy comes alive !!! i will never go back to locked diff
Old 01-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
sounds like you run the same type of style as me rastaman , i have unlocked my rear diff and converted it to a semi locker , amazing difference the rig realy comes alive !!! i will never go back to locked diff
What did you use for the semi locker in the rear? Silly putty? Or do they have something available on the market? When iam crawling I do like the rear locker though, helps me get through some tougher lines...
Still probably gonna try that out..
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

theres nothing available on the market currently so its a conversion that requires a bit of machine work , theres details in my thread (twin hammers starting an upgrade)
Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well looks like a bit of a job for the semi locker, I think I'll pass on that.. Today I'm gonna work on the front shocks of my hammerz gotta get the limiting on my shocks dialed in.. I think I'm gonna just bite the bullet and get some king 80mm shocks..
Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

So I made a order from RPP, and got a few more things for the hammerz.. I got the black rc4wd shocks, instead of the blue kings like everyone gets..
I also ordered carter fab body panels, and a gear head six shooter led for the front of the hammerz.. When I get my hands on this stuff, I'll get some pics.. Also I got the traxxas steering bell crank from amain hobbies, which I'll be installing this week, pics to follow on that as well...

When I have the front apart to do the steering. I'm gonna put some silly putty in the front diff as well..
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

sounds good , the parts should make a big difference on the hammers , good choice on the shocks , im not a big fan of the kings ?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #12

I hadn't tried the silly putty in the front, but I read on hear about using the silicone ear plugs (the nighttime type) and I've used it on both the center and rear of my exo crawler. Seems to be very strong and I read that it won't dry out like silly putty. Just an idea.
U F'n A Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I'll have to look into those silicon ear plugs, thanks for the tip.. I never thought about the silly putty drying out... What about some 500000 diff lube? Me personally don't want the front locked I just want it to be like semi locked..
I race my twin hammerz on a scale track like the king of the hammerz style I got some fast loose areas and some hard crawling spots..
Here is a pic of the front of my hammerz, tring to figure which shock configuration dual spring or single spring?

In this pic I flipped the spare tire holder forward just a bit, now it's not hanging off the back..

Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Dual springs are the way to go if you have the length! That way your suspension is highly active but can still absorb jumps.
Pockets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well as you may know your only able to get a 80 mm shock in the front, I've tried my 90 mm and limited them all the way to 84mm and the front dog bones pop out every once in awhile , I haven't tried the 80 mm yet, they are on there way..

When I use the dual springs compared to the single spring, the action on the dual spring shocks are stiffer even all the way loosened on the threaded adjuster.. I'm using a real soft spring on the single one.. I'm leaning more towards the single spring at this moment... the dual springs and shock bodies are the stock axial jk ones..that might be the problem too..lol.. We will see when those rc4wd shocks get here..

In my race cars we all use single springs and I'm jumping the hell outta my buggies and trucks..?why wouldn't we use dual springs in racing then..?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well I got some stuff for the hammerz in the mail recently from RPP
-Carter fab panels
Still missing the front hood though..
-80mm rc4wd shocks
Which I'm not really happy with, so I went back to the stock jk ones with them limited.. Also I'm using soft single springs atm..

Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I also got a gear head two inch LED for the front of the hammerz..
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

love it man !! great job , im liking the full sided panels and the flat irons look great with them axials , top job ! cheers shaun
Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

why didnt u like the kings?
Hoser1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Kings are ok, I just think there are better shocks out there.. I've tried the proline powerstrokes and they were not that smooth either, I've spent a lot of money on shocks to not find ones I like, and I'm back to the stock jk ones again.. The rc4wd 80mm ones are little like for a 1/18 scale crawler which I didn't know till I opened the package from RPP.. I'm thinking of tring out some of my team associated shocks and see maybe if those might work..:(