Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Official venom factory support thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #401
Pebble Pounder

Default A question for the Venom guys

So, I 've been building my Creeper and while I have some issues with the quality of the hardware and a few with the directions, I still am expecting to enjoy the final product.
So my question: the Creeper is fully assembled + motor, minus the rest of the electronics, and the wheels are VERY hard to turn. The motor pinion appears to not be too tight. As I assembled the Creeper, the gearbox seemed quite tight and had a "high point" in its rotation like the main shaft was slightly bent or the gears are out of round. I was trying to not be overly paranoid since I already had a few other small issues and continued on with the build. The axles also seemed a bit tight, but I was guessing that a bit of running and it would all loosen up. It seems way too snug now that it is all together.
What do you guys think? What do I need to check? I'm hoping to avoid a complete teardown... but I'll do what I have to do. Thanks!

If it matters, I've been building RC trucks for 8+ years so I'm not a newbie to rc.
rj_dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #402

today i recieved my new skid plate and installed it right away. after installing it and replacing all screws i threw in a pack to test it. as i started to drive i heard a nasty grinding sound coming from the transmission. after hearing it i decided to tear the transmission apart to find the problem. one of the screws attaching the skid plate had penetrated into the case and was about 1/8th of an inch in. thus grinding a grove into the gear closest to the screw. i was wondering if this has happened in any other situations?
Dirtydids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #403
Rock Crawler

The lockers worked great. The pins in the axles keep breaking though. This time it took out the front C-hub, NEED DOG BONES CVD's suck!!! I honestly would just pitch this thing but it crawls really good
(when it's not broken). Waiting patiently for aluminum parts and better axles.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #404

Default Extra Parts

I just finished my build last night, with an entire unopened bag of VEN-8310 washers left over. I have been through the manual 3 times, and had my wife go through it as a fresh set of eyes, but we cant find where they are supposed to be used.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
ebruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #405
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
The lockers worked great. The pins in the axles keep breaking though. This time it took out the front C-hub, NEED DOG BONES CVD's suck!!! I honestly would just pitch this thing but it crawls really good
(when it's not broken). Waiting patiently for aluminum parts and better axles.
broke my pins a few times:-( my only solution was to reduce the throw on the servo. if you have a radio with dual rate this is really easy. went from 120 to 100 and didn't have any issues at the local comp today. since we have no dig, turned the D/R back up when a tight turn was needed then back down when i was done. impressed quite a few people today with my creeper! took the top score on course one with a -1, the next closest score was a berg with a 3
redking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 AM   #406
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydids View Post
today i recieved my new skid plate and installed it right away. after installing it and replacing all screws i threw in a pack to test it. as i started to drive i heard a nasty grinding sound coming from the transmission. after hearing it i decided to tear the transmission apart to find the problem. one of the screws attaching the skid plate had penetrated into the case and was about 1/8th of an inch in. thus grinding a grove into the gear closest to the screw. i was wondering if this has happened in any other situations?
please double check the screws you used. Basically new skid has the same thickness of the wall. Shorter screws comes in to the center holes, longer -> outside.
Alex.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.G View Post
please double check the screws you used. Basically new skid has the same thickness of the wall. Shorter screws comes in to the center holes, longer -> outside.
they were definitely the correct screws. when holding the tranny looking at the bottom with the motor facing up it was the bottom left screw. i took the gears out and pulled the screws to compare sizes. so that wouldnt be it really. i guess maybe the balljoint on the link arm got compressed into the skid plate when i went to tighten it down. no idea. it wasnt a fatal problem so i just grinded the two screws on the left side about 1/8" since they are the ones that can possibly penetrate the case
Old 08-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #408
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydids View Post
today i recieved my new skid plate and installed it right away. after installing it and replacing all screws
hm.. i should use existing screws. Why you installed new?
Look at the manual, page 14. There are two-part skid, and 6 screws (2x 10mm and 4x 16mm) installed. When you use new one-pcs skid and use the same screw, no problem should happen, coz wall thickness is the same.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #409
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
Waiting patiently for aluminum parts and better axles.
Hot Racing makes aluminum C-Hubs, Steering, and Lockouts. unless you meant you were waiting for them to arrive.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.G View Post
hm.. i should use existing screws. Why you installed new?
Look at the manual, page 14. There are two-part skid, and 6 screws (2x 10mm and 4x 16mm) installed. When you use new one-pcs skid and use the same screw, no problem should happen, coz wall thickness is the same.
i didnt replace them i meant reinstalled them i havent bought any new bolts for it. and yes i bought the new one peice all of the bolts were put back on and in the same holes as i took them out of.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #411
Quarry Creeper

can't imagine how that screw came off the tranny case after you just unscrew and screw it back. It should be the same home, same screw, same internal length.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #412
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redking View Post
Hot Racing makes aluminum C-Hubs, Steering, and Lockouts. unless you meant you were waiting for them to arrive.
Yeah, waiting for someone to make them. Thanx for the tip I'll check them out.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #413

it didnt come off. i took off the old skid plate. put the new one piece skid plate on with the same screws i took off. when i did and it was all back together the screw was poking into the case. those 4 long screws are the only counter sink screws that came with the kit that are long enough to go there. so they are in the right place. it just happened to penetrate the case and hit my gears. thats why i asked venom.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #414
Quarry Creeper

please, take one long screw off and measure it from end to end. Note it here.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #415
Pebble Pounder

Talking Thanks again

wanted to say thank you again to venom for their outstanding customer service!!!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #416
Quarry Creeper

you lucky ;)
Old 09-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #417
Pebble Pounder

"Official Factory support thread"... I asked for some factory help here on the 27th and haven't had a reply. Thanks Venom!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #418
Quarry Creeper

well my tranny was tight and hard to spin when i first put it together, but after 5 minutes or so of running ti pretty hard everything loosened up, so i wouldn't worry about it.
The_kernel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #419
Pebble Pounder

After Venom's help (what help?) I took the gearbox back out of my assembled truck. Motors timing was a little retarded so I adjusted it to 0 degrees and then let it run just the gearbox for 10 minutes or so. Then I re-assembled the truck and ran it for another 10 minutes which all seemed to help some. Still is very tight but at least it now turns!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #420
Quarry Creeper

i wish i can help,

could you make some photos when you will disassemble gearbox next time?
If you'll want to areder new gears, order two packs, coz venom missing gear in every set. THey know about it, but ...