Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
Damn..........

Very nice attention to detail.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
outstanding work. Very nicely done How hard will this rig get wheeled? It looks like it would give a hell of a performance.
Its gonna get wheeled, they say its all down hill after the 1st scratch. When I was in Moab for 07 nats, everyone was giving me shit about the clone. They were calling it the rock princess and what not because i wasnt let it roll and take tumbles. Well we were on hells revenge and I was following either Brandon or Dean up this pretty rediculous climb and I had some massive torque twist going and it went over backwards and took it pretty good. After that, i womped the shit out of it...tore the mirror off and all. So I am pretty sure this one will follow the same pattern. I honestly dont know how its going to wheel, its heavy as hell. I weighed it last night on the scale in the bathroom and its damn near 8lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
im deleting all my Toyota pictures I have for possible builds ...........

This thing is amazing ...... Great Job Mike.
Haha dont delete, you and I know both know you could do better

BTW, here a couple shots of both this rig and the clone

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #262
Rock Stacker

Talking hilux

I'm just starting my build, how did you do the half doors?
R2, Ryan Rockow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #263
Rock Stacker

Talking hilux

Where did the chassie come from. Pleaseeeeee.
R2, Ryan Rockow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #264
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2, Ryan Rockow View Post
I'm just starting my build, how did you do the half doors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2, Ryan Rockow View Post
Where did the chassie come from. Pleaseeeeee.
Ryan, I see you are new here, so 1st welcome to RCC. 2nd, builds such as this one take months sometimes over a year to complete, its not something that is slapped together in one night. As you can see there are several pages documenting the entire build up and if you read through them all I am sure you can find just about any answer to a question you may have it. Detailed pictures of how I did the half doors are on page 3 Toyota Flat Bed "Atomic Toy" and the main frame was custom built by the original owner.

-Mike
Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #265
Rock Crawler

awesome work mike! i watched that thing get built from day one. i actually work with the guy that started that truck! i cant believe what it looks like now.
scuzzy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #266

What foams are you using in your Flat Irons? I have the G8's with memory foam and the sidewalls collapse at very minimal angles. Amazing build! Gave me ideas for my own!
AxialTruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #267
Rock Crawler

I am in AWE!

I didn't see you say where or what that diamondplate is from or where to find it.

I am mid build and would love to use that versus the decal diamond plate.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #268
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialTruggy View Post
What foams are you using in your Flat Irons? I have the G8's with memory foam and the sidewalls collapse at very minimal angles. Amazing build! Gave me ideas for my own!
I need to find an even better foam, I have ones from RPP hobby in them now but they proved to not be firm enough too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrighttt View Post
I am in AWE!

I didn't see you say where or what that diamondplate is from or where to find it.

I am mid build and would love to use that versus the decal diamond plate.
You can get the diamond plate styrene at tower, just type in diamond plate in the search.

So its officially a runner

would have been a cool shot ^ if the wires were hooked up and hidden

couple of my favorites

Thanks for looking

More to come, Gotta finish a lot of small things, but I had to see how this Tekin FXR worked...I love it great for a scaler because it is TINY

-Mike
Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #269
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Man that yota turned out gorgeous. Beautiful truck. Definitely one of top favorites.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #270
I wanna be Dave

I've always loved this rig. I was going to paint mine orange but I figured people would say I was copying this awesome truck. Killer rig, now go beat it to submission!

Oh and mine is 7.5 lbs with no wheel weights yet. It'll be 8lbs. soon and still wheels great

Last edited by rckjeep; 06-28-2009 at 08:02 PM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #271
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Man that yota turned out gorgeous. Beautiful truck. Definitely one of top favorites.
Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
I've always loved this rig. I was going to paint mine orange but I figured people would say I was copying this awesome truck. Killer rig, now go beat it to submission!

Oh and mine is 7.5 lbs with no wheel weights yet. It'll be 8lbs. soon and still wheels great
Dave,
Paint it orange if ya want too, who cares what anyone thinks . This thing is topping the scale at 7.5lbs as well and that is without any wheel weights either, although it feels pretty well balanced.

-Mike
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #272
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Mike, it looks great!!! I gotta get over there soon to do some wheelin' plus I want to test your ESC in my Sammy!! The Toy looks great brother!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #273
RCC Addict

Hey Mike, kick ass build fella! I have been thinking about the zip ties on your leaf packs and I have been wondering if a bent, heavy duty staple would be enough to hold the leafs together. With your fab skills, I am sure you could make something work...the zip ties gots to go.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

Dave,
Paint it orange if ya want too, who cares what anyone thinks . This thing is topping the scale at 7.5lbs as well and that is without any wheel weights either, although it feels pretty well balanced.

-Mike
Not to hi-jack but it's all done and painted. Here's quick pic and a link to the gallery

Click here for gallery
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #275
Rock Stacker

1BadJeepBruiser, your yota is just perfect, I love it!
Bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #276
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Mike, it looks great!!! I gotta get over there soon to do some wheelin' plus I want to test your ESC in my Sammy!! The Toy looks great brother!
Thanks Bob, lemme know when you are going to be around, Ill drop of the XJ so you can rob parts for testing. I hope this is the end of rain, I want to do some wheeling I have to week wack the course again, damn rain made it into a freakin rain forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster View Post
Hey Mike, kick ass build fella! I have been thinking about the zip ties on your leaf packs and I have been wondering if a bent, heavy duty staple would be enough to hold the leafs together. With your fab skills, I am sure you could make something work...the zip ties gots to go.
Hmmm, a heavy duty stable might work, that would certainly be more capable of being bent into shape. The metal wiper insert didnt work out so well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
Not to hi-jack but it's all done and painted. Here's quick pic and a link to the gallery

Click here for gallery
Truck looks good Dave , I have always been a fan of your tube work. I am jealous that Pat has your OG yota flat bed.

So the GF showed up last night while I was repairing a brake line so I couldnt post any updates of this...

Yeup, gotta have a power tank Started life as an old CO2 can for a MTB quick fill, I cut the bottom portion off, glued in some styrene and then brazed the handle to the tank so there is no fear of it snapping off (the one on the clone has broke 3x already).

I then robbed the top valving part of a wild willy NOS tank

but I had to modify the round handle into the proper 5 point shape

The tank pressue gauge is a combo of styrene and a gauge kit from RPP

I then had to make the regular set up with filler hose

its getting there, need to finish it, then I need to make the holder and get it bolted into the truck.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #277
RCC Addict

Hey Mike, the "Atomic Toy" really came out BAD-ASS.!! Awesome Wheelin' pics too..! ALL the little finishing touches your adding is whats making this truck just SO dam cool..! That Powertank is the Shiz..!! and your scale brakeline idea is AWESOME ( hope you don't mind if I steal that idea for one of my upcoming scalers ) Your work looks super realistic and spot on- ( as usual..!! ) Sweet ride man..!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #278
Sinking with the ship

Let there be light!

gauges

Rock lights

I made a tool box for the back as well, doesnt open or anything, its just to hide the battery. I tried running the truck with a tiny LIPO in the fuel tank and it just doesnt last long enough :-( so I will hide a larger one under the tool box.

I also made the holder for the power tank, pics soon, I am working on a small detail for the holder so no one can steal the tank ;)

-Mike
Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #279
RCC Addict

Damn Mike, it just doesn't end huh! lol. I love the lit up gauges. I still want to do one of mine like that. Keep the insanity coming
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #280
Sinking with the ship

Here is the power tank that I modeled mine after

Here is the tank mounted in the holder

and since I am in NY, where you cant leave anything unsecured otherwise it would get robbed, I secured it with a nice master lock

That is it for now, more to come. I am trying to finish this for when I leave thursday for the bloomsburg truck jam so I can take it with me.

-Mike