Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #181
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
I just took a glance at this pic and it just jumped out at me. Doesn't this pic look more like a diarama of a cool garage with a couple 1/4 Scale Racers on the shelfs in the back and a several recycling/storage bins stacked up behind the badass Hilux restoration project.

have a look...
or is it just late and insomnia is kicking my A$$?
Now that you mention it, it does kinda look like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
How about a body lift, until you make another frame? I know it's not the look you're going for but it'll be easier.
I never thought about that. it would be real easy to try and see how it looks. You are right though, i am a hater of body lifts but if it makes for a quick solution i just might do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scale for Life View Post
You really are Good dude....I just threw all my trucks in the trash....Carry on..
Naw, don't say that, just look at my stuff as inspiration on you're own builds. Anybody can do this, it just takes a little time and thought.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #182
RCC Addict

A bit more done,

I took the mold i had made a while ago for the roof and modified it a bit to reflect the real thing. First i cut the molding off to have the lip where the glass will lay

I am also getting better at forming the metal. i was able to do it this time without any folds.

Then in the back i cut a recess to allow me to fold the metal around the body line. this will get attached to the top of the B pillars.

After i made the new roof i did a quick mock up. Everything seems to fit pretty good so far

I still have a long way to go but at least it's starting to look like something.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #183
Quarry Creeper

That is unreal
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #184
Quarry Creeper

its gonna be sad to see it get destroyed
Scale_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #185
RCC Addict

Polish and it can be a shelf queen.

God dam amazing work,scratch building taken to another level,4sure.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #186
Rock Stacker

this is really awesome! i really admire you guys molding metal bodies. this is really first class scale business!!!
el barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #187
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scale_Crawler View Post
its gonna be sad to see it get destroyed
Don't feel bad, The best part it i can make more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
Polish and it can be a shelf queen.

God dam amazing work,scratch building taken to another level,4sure.
I have thought about polishing one. if I get me metal shaping down good enough i may try that.

I got my rear axle almost done (need to thread the axle yet) but enough to do some more mocking. I wanted to get a feel for it before i started the firewall. I'm stressing out about it because it is critical i get it right or nothing will fit.

Here is some eye candy for now.

More to come!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #188
Quarry Creeper

amazing work! cant wait to see it done.. what kind of metal are you using? like the thickness and where did you get it? thanks!
ninetwofiveRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #189
Rock Crawler

Awesome work as always. so forgive me for this next question if you have answered it before, but why not do this in brass or tin or steel so you could braze or solder the body parts together? Are these metals too hard to form to the molds? thanks!

I am to ADD to read the whole thread!
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #190
Pebble Pounder

what.....

im soo jealous right now.
Nick Slemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #191
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetwofiveRC View Post
amazing work! cant wait to see it done.. what kind of metal are you using? like the thickness and where did you get it? thanks!
.005, Dick Blick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslowTJ View Post
Awesome work as always. so forgive me for this next question if you have answered it before, but why not do this in brass or tin or steel so you could braze or solder the body parts together? Are these metals too hard to form to the molds? thanks!

I am to ADD to read the whole thread!
Truthfully I use aluminum because that is what i started using about 15 years ago when i started doing these. I only recently found out that i can get brass and copper in the same thicknesses but i know this works so i stick with it. I may try other metals in the future but for now i'm happy.

Also I have yet to find steel or tin this thin, if i ever do i will be definatly using that as i can truly replicate rust!

More progress,

I made 3 more molds. These are the outer rockers and the lower A pillar support.

And i finally started assembly of the cab.

I'm starting to get excited!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #192
RCC Addict

you sir are a master of metal forming. Well done
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #193
Pebble Pounder

Holy chit did!
oldvintageiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #194
Rock Crawler

Your getting pretty close, If you are finished for Motorama somebody from a magazine/TV better be there to see this!
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #195

Looks great!!! Subscribed!
turboexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #196
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
Truthfully I use aluminum because that is what i started using about 15 years ago when i started doing these. I only recently found out that i can get brass and copper in the same thicknesses but i know this works so i stick with it. I may try other metals in the future but for now I'm happy.

Also I have yet to find steel or tin this thin, if i ever do i will be defiantly using that as i can truly replicate rust!
Check out fastenal.com the have the thin metal. heres a link http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...99600941&Nty=0 they have it down to .0010 but thats S/S aluminum and brass but they also have shim stock in steel down to .0005 http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...99604635&Nty=0
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #197
Rock Crawler

Master Blake, your Yota is going to be the sickest truck to ever hit the trails!

Everyone at Motorama is going to have a treat.

Last edited by chevellian; 01-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #198
Pebble Pounder

WOW !!!! Awesome build. One more thing to say "ARTIST"
Can't wait to see this thing done.
chev12olet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #199
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post
Your getting pretty close, If you are finished for Motorama somebody from a magazine/TV better be there to see this!
One way or another it will be drivable for Motorama but it won't be completly done. It would be cool to have a mag or TV show up but i'm not counting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
Check out fastenal.com the have the thin metal. heres a link http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...99600941&Nty=0 they have it down to .0010 but thats S/S aluminum and brass but they also have shim stock in steel down to .0005 http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...99604635&Nty=0
I knew about the stainless foil, it is used primarily in heat treating processes but the extra cost and work needed to use it doesn't make sence since you end up with the same result: an item that doesn't rust.

I never thought about the shim stock before, the size isn't to bad and the price is reasonable. I might get some test pieces and see how well they work. they just might be the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
Master Blake, your Yota is going to be the sickest truck to ever hit the trails!

Everyone at Motorama is going to have a treat.
Thanks Rob. I hope i can put on a good show

I know it's been a bit since my last update and i've been working hard on this to get more done.

Once I had the outer rocker and cab corners assembled I needed to make inner panels to attach the floor to, so I made a simple mold for the inside of the rear cab corners

Then i made the panel for the inside of the A pillar that ties into the inner fender and cowl

Once they were done i need to prepare the outer panels with attachment points for the doors since it would not be accessible once the inner panels were assembled. I used the same technique as i did for the bed by drilling and tapping some small pieces of aluminum, punching holes in the panel and gluing them in place

And for the lower fender mount i simply glued in a small 2MM screw

Then i added a brass grommet to act as a door latch. You'll see how that works once i get the doors done

finally i glued the inner panels on

You would not believe how rigid the assemble became once the inner panels were in place. I could twist it almost 1/2" before and now it is rock solid!

Next i finally finished the floor mold with all the added ribbing and the pockets for the cab mounts

and finished the floor panel

then i trimmed up the rear cab panel including the window and glued it to the floor

and of course glued all the parts together. I now have the beginning of a real cab!!

And in case anyone was wondering, the total molds I have made to date for this truck is 27! and i have about a dozen more to go

Time for sleep.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #200
Quarry Creeper

Wow.
So, when it flips, how much damage do you expect?
Looks great.
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/147988-project-true-scale-aluminum-toyota-body.html
Posted By For Type Date
Кузова,все о них и для них - Страница 5 This thread Refback 10-05-2011 08:25 PM
Wow, Amazing Scale RC Toyota - Tacoma World Forums This thread Refback 10-04-2011 06:14 PM