Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #221
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Your still running stock wraith skid plate correct?

Suspension setup will also play big part in it

If you don't already I look into pick this up.

Wraith 4 Link Skid Risers - Super Shafty
That is a very good point. Thank you for reminding me. I actually bought a set from an rcc member for this build, but as things progressed i didnt have room for them anymore.
I planned on brazing upper link mounts and just put it off so i could finish in time for ecsc.

I have some other things I'd like to change on the cage anyways. Some link risers should go on the list.

Edit: there is room for the link risers themselves, but not the side plate that ties the two together. The battery trays are too close. Maybe I can figure out a way to tie them together up top where there's more room.

Last edited by Poprivet; 06-12-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #222
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
Only if I get to keep everything i find that you forgot you had.

I have actually been running 1000cst in my pro-line scalers for about a year now in my daily driver. The scx10 I run most often.
It works very well at smoothing out the transfer of sprung weight. When tgreer mentioned slowing them down some he kind of read my mind. Uncle has at least a pound and a half more sprung weight shifting side to side on transitions.

Do i think the shocks are to blame for rollovers... not completely, but it isnt helping.
I think a wider stance (xr mod up front and wider hubs in the rear), and more weight on the axles will make the most difference in the rollover category.
I usually run wheel weight. It helps alot for me. I imagine it the same as a 40"+ tall tire in full scale weighing in at a couple hundred pounds. I think I'll add some and see. If that isn't enough, ill probably bug you for some of that beautiful brass work you've been doing.
Well you know that you just have to let me know when you want them. I have already been giving it some thought, what axles are you running? I have always been one to get rid of as much rotating mass as I can.
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #223
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Well you know that you just have to let me know when you want them. I have already been giving it some thought, what axles are you running? I have always been one to get rid of as much rotating mass as I can.
Ernie,
They are the ssd D60 housings. Im not sure on what I'd want the final width to be yet., but i do like the extra weight they would add to the axle.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #224
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Only if I get to keep everything i find that you forgot you had.

I have actually been running 1000cst in my pro-line scalers for about a year now in my daily driver. The scx10 I run most often.
It works very well at smoothing out the transfer of sprung weight. When tgreer mentioned slowing them down some he kind of read my mind. Uncle has at least a pound and a half more sprung weight shifting side to side on transitions.

Do i think the shocks are to blame for rollovers... not completely, but it isnt helping.
I think a wider stance (xr mod up front and wider hubs in the rear), and more weight on the axles will make the most difference in the rollover category.
I usually run wheel weight. It helps alot for me. I imagine it the same as a 40"+ tall tire in full scale weighing in at a couple hundred pounds. I think I'll add some and see. If that isn't enough, ill probably bug you for some of that beautiful brass work you've been doing.
Quote:
They are the ssd D60 housings. Im not sure on what I'd want the final width to be yet., but i do like the extra weight they would add to the axle.
Good, I have a new one that I picked up a couple months ago. So I can just take a look at how we could get the most weight in it.
I've sold six of ascender modded axles and for those the casing mod came in at 60 grams of weight.
Ernie,
Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #225
Quarry Creeper

I went ahead and mounted the link risers in the rear without the side plates. It seems pretty ridged, but I'll make a cross brace later. I had to shorten the upper links by 6mm.

I also swapped out the upper springs on all 4 shocks.
From 1-4, 4 being the firmest The uppers are 3's and the lowers are 2's. I did have 2's all around.

And went from scx10 wheel hexes to wraith wheel hexes for a little more width.

Last edited by Poprivet; 06-12-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Hey Poprivet, My techy wife updated some drivers on my laptop, so seems to be working better.
Looks like your headed in the right direction with your suspension. I'm going to try and make some risers for my Ibec Camaro to add to the wraith skid, when ever I get back to that build.
How much droop are you running on your truck?
So, you inspired me with your shop clean up.
Before:

After, of the work bench anyway.

Hope all is well with all the weather!
Ernie,
Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #227
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hey Poprivet, My techy wife updated some drivers on my laptop, so seems to be working better.
Looks like your headed in the right direction with your suspension. I'm going to try and make some risers for my Ibec Camaro to add to the wraith skid, when ever I get back to that build.
How much droop are you running on your truck?
So, you inspired me with your shop clean up.
Before:

After, of the work bench anyway.

Hope all is well with all the weather!
Ernie,
Glad to hear it on the laptop. seems like we'll be updating our toasters next.

I did pick up some 2000wt diff fluid today. No time to swap it in, of course.
Describing droop is harder than I thought, but i generally run about 1/3 of the shock shaft showing. On all my crawlers. Just enough to soak up the bumps.

Work bench looks good. let me know if you have any storage issues

As for the weather... i dont even watch it anymore. Just be ready for anything. Cuz ya never know.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #228
I wanna be Dave

You missed out on some lost and then found goodies buy not dropping by to help!!

My "little garage" is next and then the fabbing and brazing table. I'm sure there is some cool stuff lost on both of those areas.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 06-14-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #229
Quarry Creeper

Well here's an update for you.

In an attempt to keep this thing upright, and gain some more steering. I XR'd the axles for two reasons. 1st: width, A wider stance at the same ride hight will no doubt help stability. 2nd: weight, using brass tubes front and rear along with Locked up rc HD F1 spools will add some much needed unsprung weight in the axles.
I am trying my best to not add wheel weights, but not ruling it out as an option.

Up front i used SSD xr width brass tubes, wraith knuckles and c-hubs, titanium steering link. XR10 universals. Locked up rc HD F1.

In the rear my buddy Erie helped me out big time! Not only by ordering me some parts, but building me my new rear axle housing. thanks again, and again Ernie.
Ernie makes some pretty sweet brass tubes. (Hope you dont mind me bragging on ya.) He made the tubes and bored out the housing for a snug fit. Nice job Ernie

The "Ernie tubes" with vanquish clamping lockouts, SSD wide rear axle shafts, and another Locked up HD F1.

Here's a shot of the HD F1 vs the original F1.

And some much needed steering.

I did go from 600 slw hubs to 350. Thats as wide as i could stand, and it still bugs me. It just looks too wide for the cage.
I really wish someone made a 5" to 5-1/4" tall 1.9 tire. ( Pitbull. [Rock Beasts]) that would help with ground clearance on that giant diff., and make it look more scale to me.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #230
I wanna be Dave

I'm building a rig now with the wide SSD axles and was wondering how bad the bump steer is with the panhard so short compared to the tie rod, I'd have to imagine it's pretty bad. Badass rig, very nice tube work!
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #231
I wanna be Dave

Glad you received your package and everything was ok. Is that some dirt I see on that new axle? You've been testing it already?
And your welcome, always glad to help out a buddy!! If you already have a shock stand, you can pass that on to someone else.
Ernie,
Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #232
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
I'm building a rig now with the wide SSD axles and was wondering how bad the bump steer is with the panhard so short compared to the tie rod, I'd have to imagine it's pretty bad. Badass rig, very nice tube work!
Thank you.
There is about 1/4" of bump steer right now. I have had plans to move the upper panhard mount at least 1/2" farther out, maybe further now. (per a recommendation from Szczerba at this years ecsc).
I've been waiting until i had the axles XR'd, and just putting it off because i have to take it to almost bare cage to fix it. Not fun.
I'm just delaying the inevitable. I have also been considering fabing a new 3 link and panhard bracket for the axle to move the lower panhard mount farther out.

Last edited by Poprivet; 07-12-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #233
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Glad you received your package and everything was ok. Is that some dirt I see on that new axle? You've been testing it already?
And your welcome, always glad to help out a buddy!! If you already have a shock stand, you can pass that on to someone else.
Ernie,
That might be a little dirt.
I just ran around the yard and over my ramp a few times.
It does handle alot better when hauling ass across the yard. i hope to get it on some rocks this week. Time and weather permitting of course.

And no way i'm giving up that shock stand. I didn't have one before, and its brilliant.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #234
Moderator Rule Breaker

Shane said those axles get hung up in the rocks. He got thr alum covers and much better now.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #235
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Shane said those axles get hung up in the rocks. He got thr alum covers and much better now.
They do hang up pretty bad. There diff covers are on the list, but the list is long.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #236
Quarry Creeper

I got it out on the rocks this morning. Much improved in performance. I made it through lines it didnt stand a chance at before. Still not as capable as I'd like.

The tires have to go. They would be great on a U4 track, but not so great for crawling. Also there were a couple spots that i think a little bit of wheel weight would have made it easier. So i will add some.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #237
Quarry Creeper

Then there was the damage.

I drove it pretty hard today, and found the limitations of the brake line cage. Some badly bent tubes and one hit was enough to brake a joint.

Now i have a better excuse to tear it down to bare cage and move the panhard mount. I will fix the damage best i can. Then maybe make a roof panel to help protect against this happening again.

My next cage will not be brake line. Not sure what yet.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #238
Quarry Creeper

use 4m steel rod its not that heavy and can take some serious punishment
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #239
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
use 4m steel rod its not that heavy and can take some serious punishment
That's definitely another option.
DOM or the stainless tubing CODYBOY uses looks promising to. It might be a while before i can do another build like this one. So i have some time to decide.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #240

cool thing about brazing is you can torch stuff off. killer rig...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SUPER TUBER NAMED TSR-"tequila sun rise" AxialJeepster 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 07-22-2012 08:12 PM
Full Skin Tuber? Double J Chit Chat 9 11-22-2006 02:45 PM
4 link turned into FULL TUBER dhoffroad General Crawlers 5 03-04-2006 04:59 PM