Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #141
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxreeves View Post
I like the color of the chassis blasted, I would keep that looks sweet.

1.9 Ibex tuber
I thought long and hard about that, but I don't like the solder showing. If the joints were tiny tig welds I would definitely clear it and call it good.

I will try to find the closest silver I can find for the cage, and probably a gunmetal for the panels. We'll see.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #142
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
I thought long and hard about that, but I don't like the solder showing. If the joints were tiny tig welds I would definitely clear it and call it good.

I will try to find the closest silver I can find for the cage, and probably a gunmetal for the panels. We'll see.

You would have to be pro to make those tiny tig welds..
Bmxreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxreeves View Post
You would have to be pro to make those tiny tig welds..
It can be done. No doubt, but I can't even imagine how long that would take. Nope.
Besides the fact that I don't own a tig welder.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'll trade you a Harley for it!
Hey Poprivet, I bought a Harley, and I'll trade you straight across for your truck!!!!????

CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #145
Quarry Creeper

Nice try. I'm not falling for that one. You need to put that on a trailer behind your new blazer.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #147
Quarry Creeper

i do have a real 1;1 harly ill trade you. HEHEHEHE better becarefull what you ask for. you just might get it.
big bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #148
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nice try. I'm not falling for that one. You need to put that on a trailer behind your new blazer.
that would really badass with a trailor behind his blazer. Hint hint wink wink nudge nudge
Old 05-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #149
Rock Stacker

Just read through this entire thread, and I mist say, inspiring stuff.

I also loved the movie and the 1:1 and your attention to detail and abilities have captured it fantastically.

Keep up the good work, I cannot wait to see it completed
Statenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #150
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statenheimer View Post
Just read through this entire thread, and I mist say, inspiring stuff.

I also loved the movie and the 1:1 and your attention to detail and abilities have captured it fantastically.

Keep up the good work, I cannot wait to see it completed

Thank you so much.

I did make a little progress this weekend. I will try and post pics later.

I have all the body panels mounted, and my own twist on a sway bar.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #151
Quarry Creeper

Oh yeah and a dash to cover the gap between the spawn interior and the cage. 24 gauge, cut with snips, flattened with a body hammer, and bent with hand seamers. I am a union sheet metal worker after all.

And body panels. I drilled and tapped the tube where I could or had to, and made little tabs from 1/8" flat stock. Cut about 5mmx7mm on my bandsaw, then drilled and tapped 2mm. I wanted the screws to be as small as possible. I did strip one of the holes i put in the tubing, but a quik plug with some 56%, and a re-drill and tap later, and it's good to go.

Then the sway bar idea. I couldn't think of a good way to mount a traditional torsion style sway bar, so I used one from my touring car.
It's kind of stealthy I think. To make the mounts I cut two equal sized pieces of 1/8" and clamped them in some vice grips. Then drilled through both on one end and countersunk the top one then turned it on its side, and drilled a hole in between the two pieces to make like a clamp. Then separate them, and drilled the top one out to 1/8" for 3mm, and tapped the bottom one for 3mm. Then just brazed the bottom pieces in place.

Now i think I'm really ready for final blast and paint, but I will probably stare at it for two more days trying to think of what I missed. That will give me time to get more sand and some paint.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #152
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh yeah and a dash to cover the gap between the spawn interior and the cage. 24 gauge, cut with snips, flattened with a body hammer, and bent with hand seamers. I am a union sheet metal worker after all.

And body panels. I drilled and tapped the tube where I could or had to, and made little tabs from 1/8" flat stock. Cut about 5mmx7mm on my bandsaw, then drilled and tapped 2mm. I wanted the screws to be as small as possible. I did strip one of the holes i put in the tubing, but a quik plug with some 56%, and a re-drill and tap later, and it's good to go.

Then the sway bar idea. I couldn't think of a good way to mount a traditional torsion style sway bar, so I used one from my touring car.

It's kind of stealthy I think. To make the mounts I cut two equal sized pieces of 1/8" and clamped them in some vice grips. Then drilled through both on one end and countersunk the top one then turned it on its side, and drilled a hole in between the two pieces to make like a clamp. Then separate them, and drilled the top one out to 1/8" for 3mm, and tapped the bottom one for 3mm. Then just brazed the bottom pieces in place.

Now i think I'm really ready for final blast and paint, but I will probably stare at it for two more days trying to think of what I missed. That will give me time to get more sand and some paint.

Is that sway bar going to be stiff enough to keep everything stable?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #153
Quarry Creeper

No it isn't. But that is the softest of 3 sway bars that come in the tc4 sway bar kit. So I can go stiffer if I need to.

I really don't think It needs a sway bar for the work I plan to do with it. It won't see a race track until I build one. It was just something I wanted to add before paint. Per the advice of my good friend Ernie.

Last edited by Poprivet; 05-23-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #154
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No it isn't. But that is the lightest of 3 sway bars that come in the tc4 sway bar kit. So I can go stiffer if I need to.

I really don't think It needs a sway bar for the work I plan to do with it. It won't see a race track until I build one. It was just something I wanted to add before paint.

Ahhhh I see.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #155
Quarry Creeper

Just wait till Poprivit post picks of the fair lead he fabed up. I think it cleans up the grill and does a lot to hide the stearing servo. Set it in place and see what everyone else thinks. !
And tell the boss lady I'm sorry for taking up your and her time again this week
Old 05-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #156
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bacon View Post
Just wait till Poprivit post picks of the fair lead he fabed up. I think it cleans up the grill and does a lot to hide the stearing servo. Set it in place and see what everyone else thinks. !
And tell the boss lady I'm sorry for taking up your and her time again this week
Spoiler alert! Fare lead would have been mounted last night, but I'm such a nice guy.

Your trail finder will be wired and ready within a couple hours after I get home.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #157
Quarry Creeper

I forgot to leave you any servo horns!! I'd much rather have you work on uncle. I want to see that bad boy at Disney rc4wd! But thanks again for the three and a half hours you spent on my truck last night. I need to make you a shop hourly rate sign! I didn't spoil nothing I just ......... Ok maybe I did sory
Old 05-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #158
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bacon View Post
I forgot to leave you any servo horns!! I'd much rather have you work on uncle. I want to see that bad boy at Disney rc4wd! But thanks again for the three and a half hours you spent on my truck last night. I need to make you a shop hourly rate sign! I didn't spoil nothing I just ......... Ok maybe I did sory

I thought all I was doing was Wiring? The rest has to be on you man. I have too much work to do.

And as for the hourly rate...three and a half hours to do one and a half hours of work. I'm not sure how to charge for my chaotic methods.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Spoiler alert! Fare lead would have been mounted last night, but I'm such a nice guy.

Your trail finder will be wired and ready within a couple hours after I get home.
Looking good Poprivet!!!!! I got the servos today and tiptoed out to my shop. I took the back off the savox and as I thought the motor plugged directly into the board. So the wheels had just started turning and I heard a voice behind me saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!???" busted!! I'm pretty sure I can come up with a fix. Just have to wait until my hands aren't as shaky. I won't slip what the servo is for!!!!
Ernie,

Oh and the doc did say he wanted me up and moving around, so I was at the end of a little walk.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #160
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Looking good Poprivet!!!!! I got the servos today and tiptoed out to my shop. I took the back off the savox and as I thought the motor plugged directly into the board. So the wheels had just started turning and I heard a voice behind me saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!???" busted!! I'm pretty sure I can come up with a fix. Just have to wait until my hands aren't as shaky. I won't slip what the servo is for!!!!
Ernie,

Oh and the doc did say he wanted me up and moving around, so I was at the end of a little walk.
Don't get yourself in trouble, and definitely don't over do it. I am not in any hurry for it.

I'm glad to hear your up and around though.

Poprivet's first full tuber named U.N.C.L.E. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SUPER TUBER NAMED TSR-"tequila sun rise" AxialJeepster 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 07-22-2012 08:12 PM
Full Skin Tuber? Double J Chit Chat 9 11-22-2006 02:45 PM
4 link turned into FULL TUBER dhoffroad General Crawlers 5 03-04-2006 04:59 PM