Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #141
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

Will be nice to see it all made from proper parts instead of a 3d render!! Not that I don't like what you have done!! Have you got as far as thinking of what body your dropping on this!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #142
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
Will be nice to see it all made from proper parts instead of a 3d render!! Not that I don't like what you have done!! Have you got as far as thinking of what body your dropping on this!!

Oh, I know what you're saying, even I'm getting tired of sharing the 3D renders with you guys because it basically looks all the same. I'm using a 1st gen Dodge Durango body. It was impossible to find a new one until I got one shipped from HK thought it was too good to be true until it actually showed up on my doorstep.
jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #143
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
Oh, I know what you're saying, even I'm getting tired of sharing the 3D renders with you guys because it basically looks all the same. I'm using a 1st gen Dodge Durango body. It was impossible to find a new one until I got one shipped from HK thought it was too good to be true until it actually showed up on my doorstep.
They do look nice dude but can't help but like looking at shiny new parts an bits an bobs!! Dodge hmm need to Google that cause have no idea what that is!!

robbark34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #144
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
They do look nice dude but can't help but like looking at shiny new parts an bits an bobs!! Dodge hmm need to Google that cause have no idea what that is!!

The first page has a bunch of actual pictures of the body mocked up!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #145
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

How did I miss this build? You have some nice CAD skills to make the entire truck assembly and have the suspension move around properly.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #146
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
How did I miss this build? You have some nice CAD skills to make the entire truck assembly and have the suspension move around properly.
I don't know?!? It has been at the top of the 1.9 build threads for about a month. Thank you! Its all in a days work I guess
Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #147
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I mostly stay in the electronics section but keep an eye on the new activity too.

I do good to make a motor assembly and have it properly rotate the armature without parts flying off, lol! Solidworks here too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #148
Pebble Pounder

It can be finicky sometimes, everything is going fine then all of a sudden the assembly implodes on itself because you moved something wrong.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #149
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It can be finicky sometimes, everything is going fine then all of a sudden the assembly implodes on itself because you moved something wrong.

Most of my 3D CAD experience is with static assemblies, and even that gave me many hours of frustration. Keeping a dynamic model sorted and stable, is no easy feat. I can relate to the pain of dealing with the sudden "implosions" you mention. Everything seems to be working fine, then you edit one part, and have a list of errors a mile long.... lol
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #150
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Most of my 3D CAD experience is with static assemblies, and even that gave me many hours of frustration. Keeping a dynamic model sorted and stable, is no easy feat. I can relate to the pain of dealing with the sudden "implosions" you mention. Everything seems to be working fine, then you edit one part, and have a list of errors a mile long.... lol
The list of errors is the worst. I've got a pretty good system down on how I keep it all sorted, it's scary though, the assembly you guys see is only the final assembly but I have about 10 other assemblies because I use other parts as references and if one of those gets messed up its hard to find the issue.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #151

Quote:
It would be cool to another designers interpretation of an IFS kit. I say go for it!
Could you let me know the dimensions of the frame rails themselves? Mainly just the overall length, I can import a photo of the rails from online and scale it to that length and model my own frame rails to start designing. Also the width and height of the "c-channel" the frame is made of if possible.
Thanks!
FTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

All this 'puter stuff makes me feel inept with my files, dremel, tin snips, sheer and brake bender.

Seriously though, ever stop to think how empowered the common guy in his garage is nowadays? Not just as it pertains to our hobby either. I mean, the ability to fully design, develop, engineer and proof a concept without having
to deal with the cost of prototyping!

Pretty amazing and sheer testimony to that here!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #153
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
All this 'puter stuff makes me feel inept with my files, dremel, tin snips, sheer and brake bender.

Seriously though, ever stop to think how empowered the common guy in his garage is nowadays? Not just as it pertains to our hobby either. I mean, the ability to fully design, develop, engineer and proof a concept without having
to deal with the cost of prototyping!

Pretty amazing and sheer testimony to that here!
Hey man, back when I was racing competitively, I spent hours in the garage with my dremel and files. I can attest that tinkering got me where I am today. I wouldn't say the "common" guy could do the level of designing im doing, but there are a lot of powerful tools out there these days that can give you quite the advantage.

Also, don't worry guys, soon there will be a lot more real life build photos, the 3D stuff is just the beginning. This truck will be a scale rig to remember.

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 03-08-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #154
Rock Crawler

Woohoo! That was fast.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #155
Quarry Creeper

So Im wondering about your upper knuckle pivot. I have never seen a design like that, is there something out there that uses a similar setup? Im having a hard time wraping my mind around how you are going to attach the rod end to the knuckle... I see the bearings in there, but I dont see any kind of access to get a nut on the bottom or anything like that, so how exactly is it going to work?

Im also worried about the dog bone setup. Lift a tire at the same time you have the wheels turned, and I guarantee you will will spit out a dogbone... I thought you had been talking about a cvd setup?

That said, I am amazed at how fast this build is going, good job. Normaly when I see a cool thread like this that started fairly recently I am sad because I know its going to be months before anything happens. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to the end (well, to this point), well done.
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #156
Pebble Pounder

Well, I haven't seen anything else like it, probably because it would be impossible to mold... but there is access when the axle bearing is removed you have room to put the bearing in and then a screw to tighten everything together.

As far as the dog bone goes, its all about geometry, if the center ball/pivot of the CVD is in line with the top and bottom pivot points of the hub, the axle doesn't move in or out at all when turning, therefore not making any difference if the wheel is turned or not. I'm also not sure what you mean? The setup I have designed and shown is a CVD/CVA type setup.

Thank you, I understand what you're saying and in this case, I'm super motivated to get this done because this is my first scale rig and I haven't even gotten it together to play with!

Last edited by THX_138; 03-02-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Images too large
Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 PM   #157
Quarry Creeper

AH, ok I get it on the knuckle...

Also, I dont know why I was seeing a dog bone in your pictures, looking now its obviously a CVD, sorry.....
Old 03-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #158
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
AH, ok I get it on the knuckle...

Also, I dont know why I was seeing a dog bone in your pictures, looking now its obviously a CVD, sorry.....
No worries! You're from Midvale? I'm in Orem, looks like you might be one of the first people to see this in person of you go to any of the comps. I might attend one of the 801 rc meets.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #159
Quarry Creeper

Actually I'm in eagle mountain now... I just forgot to update my info....
Old 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #160
Sinking with the ship

Your thread has been restored. Please keep in mind the way in which you post the content as to not violate the rules of the forum in regards to vendor feeling...

As for everyone else, DO NOT be asking about prices, purchasing, ETC...this is A BUILD THREAD.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IFS Durango from 1.9 section Joshs4x4toyz Chit Chat 97 03-11-2019 06:45 AM