Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy R's TTC Build - "Big Oly"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #121
Rock Crawler

What about cutting the splined end and using round stock to lengthen it? Or you could do the same to the tube side...just cut it and weld a solid piece in.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #122
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascman View Post
What about cutting the splined end and using round stock to lengthen it? Or you could do the same to the tube side...just cut it and weld a solid piece in.
It's stainless so that won't happen in my garage, I'm afraid. Not to mention it would be ugly with me welding something so small! I think my best bet is to suck it up and buy a new driveshaft for the rear (the 6.5" version this time).

I'll take the 5.9" driveshaft and cut the female portion of it and make it the front shaft, I guess, since RC4WD doesn't sell anything in the length I need. I can't believe this is our only choice for long driveshafts.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Oh yeah, now that I've stretched the rear end so much I have a clearance issue with the frame and the axle truss. No biggie. I'll clearance it for now and re-do some of the tubing. I haven't been very happy with the way the rear bumper area looked anyway. It was a rush job...
Old 04-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

I just saw this on RC4WD's site. It's a 5mm yoke extension. I could get one of these for the front shaft and be golden. I don't think it'll be long enough for the rear, but maybe. Hmm....

Anyone ever used these? I ordered a longer drive shaft and two of these guys, just in case.

Last edited by Tommy R; 04-15-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #125
Rock Stacker

how much longer is that extension?
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
how much longer is that extension?
I don't know, but we know the shaft is 5mm in diameter so that would put the extension in the 10+mm range I think.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #127
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I just saw this on RC4WD's site. It's a 5mm yoke extension. I could get one of these for the front shaft and be golden. I don't think it'll be long enough for the rear, but maybe. Hmm....

Anyone ever used these? I ordered a longer drive shaft and two of these guys, just in case.
I've never used one. I imagine it would work fine, just use blue loctite on the set screw(s).
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I've never used one. I imagine it would work fine, just use blue loctite on the set screw(s).
Oh, you'd better believe it! I'll also be sure to clean it liberally with brake cleaner beforehand to remove any greases. I hate introducing another potential failure point so I'll be making sure it won't back loose!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #129
I wanna be Dave

It's time for the paint booth! Last night I finished up the brazing....welll, at least I hope I did. There are a few small details I wouldn't mind adding, but I'm pretty content with where it is and I need to get this rig finished ASAP or I fear I may begin losing motivation since I have some other things popping up on my radar that aren't RC related.

The last brazing was to clearance the rear of the chassis for the suspension under bump. I did, but that meant I had to figure out a new tow point. I'm much happier with what I have now.

Everything is covered in primer right now, except for a few parts. I experimented with the color I'll use on the all the chassis and tubework. This didn't come out as intended. The part was dirty, hence the splotches. But the color isn't what I want. I'm looking for a slightly lighter and flat color. It may lend a hint to my paint scheme, though.

And an overall shot as it sits now. I'll be swapping axles with my Jeep since it has OD/UD gears in it already and they're not legal for "Street class" rigs in our club. So the non-OD/UD gears in this truck will move into the Jeep.

That's all the work I can do for now. My g/f and I are heading to Fort Worth to hang out with Dale Jr. for the weekend.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #130
Quarry Creeper

The fix for the chassis turned out great. It looks much better and is probably stronger as well. Nice work!
FROADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, Colin! I'm quite pleased with it. And now I have a nice spot for my RC4WD D-ring that's in the mail as of today....along with my new rear driveshaft. Looks like the extensions will be shipping later, but kudos to RC4WD for not holding up my order and shipping the driveshaft!!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #132
Rock Crawler

this thing is extremely sick and is giving me a lot of motivation to do mine right. very impressive!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #133
Pebble Pounder

why did you use leafs in the front?
rcfreak363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #134
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
this thing is extremely sick and is giving me a lot of motivation to do mine right. very impressive!
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak363 View Post
why did you use leafs in the front?
A couple reasons. One reason was because I haven't run leafs yet and wanted to give it a try for grins. It's also unique compared to a lot of other rigs...especially those that are TTC influenced. It allows me to install the tie rod behind the axle. Lastly, I personally know a lot of "one ton" rigs built with leafs up front for stability and coilovers/links in the rear. Thought it might be cool to try it here. If it sucks, I can always link it.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

To my surprise, I got a lot of progress done tonight. I found a chassis paint that matched exactly what I wanted and the body is all painted now, too. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll get some pics of it fully assembled as a roller lacking only electronics. We'll see...
Old 04-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #136
I wanna be Dave

The chassis fully painted and the colors used on the body. They don't match very well, do they?

I wish I had a bit more time before the comp this weekend. I would've made some rear shock hoops from tubing and maybe would've made some form of tube fenders for the front. But that's okay. I can always add that stuff later on if I want.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Well, it's finally out of the paint shop so I thought I would show y'all my latest rig. It started out as a bone stock '73 Bronco. Most of the original sheetmetal and frame rails remain, but it's gone through a partial truggy treatment. It's awaiting an interior, but there won't be much of a bed in the back....just storage and propane tanks. The suspension is linked in the rear and heavily stretched. In the front I installed some leaf springs in hopes to keep some stability since I plan on doing some crazy stuff with this thing! The axles are heavily built one tons: a Dana 60 front and a GM 14 bolt rear spinning 49" Iroks. The drivetrain is a heavily worked over 429 with a healthy cam running on propane backed by a C6 trans. No fancy high dollar transfer cases for me, since I plan on using wheelspeed to conquer any obstacles.

For paint I decided to pay homage to the coolest Bronco that's ever been built, Parnelli Jones' "Big Oly" desert racer. I even have some custom Olympia Beer decals being made for it. It's not intended to be a replica of Big Oly, just influenced by it. It's still a work in progress and needs to have all the wiring done and driveshafts built, but I think it's now "done" enough to show.

Anyway, enough talk.... On with the pics.

Lastly, here's a pic of the real deal...

Last edited by Tommy R; 04-21-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #138
RCC Addict

Looks awsome there Tommy,i cant wait too see it all finished up.
Nice color.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #139
RCC Addict

Very nicely done, that is an awesome looking bronco. The tube work and paint job are awesome.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the compliments. Much appreciated! It's still growing on me. Seeing it all painted with the body on actually made it looks less finished to me. But I think once I finish the interior, the fender wells, and add a bunch of accessories, it'll look much more scale. I also have a lot of clean up to do on the body. A lot of my cuts were jagged and didn't show 'til after it was painted.