Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Comp Build.......SWX......New Production Pics!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #881
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
Brad,

Since you have some first had experience with the new Axial RTC, what are your feelings on running those shocks on your SWX based rig instead of losi crawlers?
I have been secretly running the new Axial shocks on my comp rig for over a month now, an am extremely happy with them. They are very stout and silky smooth.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #882
Rock Crawler

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully they offer these separate but if need I'll buy an RTC and part out.
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #883
Rock Crawler

Ay Bender,

Just a quick question. Do you have any idea if Axial is going to make a dig servo holder specific to the SWX? I have seen so many different ways to mount the servo and was not sure if this is something Axial was thinking of doing.

And on another note are you going to be coming down for the finals in San Diego?

Last edited by treday619; 05-05-2009 at 04:54 PM.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #884
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I have been secretly running the new Axial shocks on my comp rig for over a month now, an am extremely happy with them. They are very stout and silky smooth.
so when can we get them ?
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #885
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by treday619 View Post
Ay Bender,

Just a quick question. Do you have any idea if Axial is going to make a dig servo holder specific to the SWX? I have seen so many different ways to mount the servo and was not sure if this is something Axial was thinking of doing.

And on another note are you going to be coming down for the finals in San Diego?
There aren't any plans for a dig servo mount from us specifically for the SWX, but I may look into it.

I do plan on making the finals in San Diego too. I have about a week to get my super crawler running again. I really would like to run all 3 classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
so when can we get them ?
More info will be released on the shocks very soon.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #886
Quarry Creeper

Bender,

I just built up an SWX for my 15yo son and we were able to use a DNA mount for a 225mg mounted to the right side frame as others have done and it turned out pretty well. I would like to see you/Axial come out with something that would be bolt on and be much cleaner looking than a home fab piece. That right rear frame spot is perfect. Either two sizes for small/large servos or one that was adjustable for either size.

I know a lot of peeps make their own and some are very nice but others like myself lack the tools/facilities to make things like that.

The other thing I wanted to ask about, can you offer the skid non drilled with a template? In order to make everything work right, we had to move the trans forward 1/4 inch and though, it was not a huge ordeal, it was also not super easy with my limited tools and it kind of looks cheesy now with the extra holes in the skid.

BTW my kid loves the new chassis! He for the first time completed all 3 courses at our local tuesday night comp and did very well. He sure kicked the old man's butt!

This is his setup so far. 12.5 wb and 2 3/4-2 7/8 gc
Attached Images

Last edited by crawlincircles; 05-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.
crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #887
I wanna be Dave

I don't know if anybody has asked you this or not, but how are you liking the new terain compared to the old terain since the move? Or are they prety simular...
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #888
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlincircles View Post
Bender,

I just built up an SWX for my 15yo son and we were able to use a DNA mount for a 225mg mounted to the right side frame as others have done and it turned out pretty well. I would like to see you/Axial come out with something that would be bolt on and be much cleaner looking than a home fab piece. That right rear frame spot is perfect. Either two sizes for small/large servos or one that was adjustable for either size.

I know a lot of peeps make their own and some are very nice but others like myself lack the tools/facilities to make things like that.

The other thing I wanted to ask about, can you offer the skid non drilled with a template? In order to make everything work right, we had to move the trans forward 1/4 inch and though, it was not a huge ordeal, it was also not super easy with my limited tools and it kind of looks cheesy now with the extra holes in the skid.

BTW my kid loves the new chassis! He for the first time completed all 3 courses at our local tuesday night comp and did very well. He sure kicked the old man's butt!

This is his setup so far. 12.5 wb and 2 3/4-2 7/8 gc
Build looks sweet, and congrats to your son for completing all 3 comp courses.

I'm going to look into doing an SWX specific servo mount for the DNA dig. I've also heard they changed the servo mount now for their newer dig, and am wondering how it'll fit into one of my chassis. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one. Did you have to move the tranny forward to get the dig servo into place?

I'm not sure if Axial will want to offer a skid that isn't drilled with a template or not, I can ask though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
I don't know if anybody has asked you this or not, but how are you liking the new terain compared to the old terain since the move? Or are they prety simular...
The new terrain here is different and has some nice lines, although the crawl spots in SoCal are few and far between compared to Colorado. But, since I discovered the Corona Del Mar spot I've been having a blast. It's close to my apartment and there are tons of lines. The scenery at the beach isn't bad either.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #889
Quarry Creeper

Brad,

We moved the motor/trans forward for a couple or reasons. The first was that using the MIP drive shafts in the front the standard length were to long and was at or close to bottoming out and using the short Thundertech one was to short. The rear "short" one was close to bottoming as well.

Moving it FWD fixed that issue and we used a short shaft on both ends. It also freed up some much needed room for the dig servo and also gave us some more room to work the wiring in also. There is a lot of room up front that does not get used with the stock mounting location. I would have moved it another 1/4 inch if the frame was not in the way.

I also think as minor as it might be that moving it forward puts the weight or COG more centered in the truck.

Even if the new DNA mount will fit it would not cover the other digs out now. The lower frame location would work best for the bulk of the dig's on the market Eritex, S3R, DNA, and probably most of the others too. That location not only keeps the weight nice and low but gives a perfectly straight and level line to the dig with most setups.

I know people have been doing this since the SWX came out, but it would be nice to have something that was designed to be there as an option to home fab 101. The 225mg fits great the way I have it and I think that a full size servo flipped upside down in the same spot would work really well 4 the peeps who want more power.

Well Those are just a few thoughts, I am no expert on crawling but it just kind of makes sense. Updating the SWX and introducing optional parts for it will help keep it a top performer/seller well into the future.

Chris
Attached Images

crawlincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #890
RcBros Hobbies

I ran the new DNA dig servo mount on my SWX but you couldn't bolt it onto of the trans, I has to mount it to the side of the chassis.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #891
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm going to look into doing an SWX specific servo mount for the DNA dig. I've also heard they changed the servo mount now for their newer dig, and am wondering how it'll fit into one of my chassis. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one. Did you have to move the tranny forward to get the dig servo into place?
Bender I can bring one tomorrow to the SD Finals. I don't need it anyways. I couldn't get it to fit without changing CoG so what I did was take the stock front servo tray countersunk a few holes and am using that to hold my servo for the dig. Works great with the
645mg I have there.

Last edited by treday619; 05-15-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #892
Rock Stacker

are there any pics of the new Axial shocks?
pink_sleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #893
Pebble Pounder

Nice build just did a swx my self. I was wanting to know where you got the RCP TLT wide hexs? I need a set to clear my battery. Thanks
oldvintageiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #894
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Bender I can bring one tomorrow to the SD Finals. I don't need it anyways. I couldn't get it to fit without changing CoG so what I did was take the stock front servo tray countersunk a few holes and am using that to hold my servo for the dig. Works great with the
645mg I have there.
Thanks for bringing the servo mount for me, I really appreciate it. I'll have to mess around with it and see if I can get it to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sleeve View Post
are there any pics of the new Axial shocks?
I'll take some pics and post them up this week for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvintageiron View Post
Nice build just did a swx my self. I was wanting to know where you got the RCP TLT wide hexs? I need a set to clear my battery. Thanks
I got the wideners from RCP. I had a few sets of the TLT CVD's when I was running those axles a while back. I know the hexes can be ordered separately if they have them in stock.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #895
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlincircles View Post
Brad,

We moved the motor/trans forward for a couple or reasons. The first was that using the MIP drive shafts in the front the standard length were to long and was at or close to bottoming out and using the short Thundertech one was to short. The rear "short" one was close to bottoming as well.

Moving it FWD fixed that issue and we used a short shaft on both ends. It also freed up some much needed room for the dig servo and also gave us some more room to work the wiring in also. There is a lot of room up front that does not get used with the stock mounting location. I would have moved it another 1/4 inch if the frame was not in the way.

I also think as minor as it might be that moving it forward puts the weight or COG more centered in the truck.

Even if the new DNA mount will fit it would not cover the other digs out now. The lower frame location would work best for the bulk of the dig's on the market Eritex, S3R, DNA, and probably most of the others too. That location not only keeps the weight nice and low but gives a perfectly straight and level line to the dig with most setups.

I know people have been doing this since the SWX came out, but it would be nice to have something that was designed to be there as an option to home fab 101. The 225mg fits great the way I have it and I think that a full size servo flipped upside down in the same spot would work really well 4 the peeps who want more power.

Well Those are just a few thoughts, I am no expert on crawling but it just kind of makes sense. Updating the SWX and introducing optional parts for it will help keep it a top performer/seller well into the future.

Chris
You do make some good points. We didn't design the SWX to work with the MIP driveshafts, most use either the stock AX10 shafts or Traxxas Jato shafts and cut them to fit. Also, we wanted people to be able to use our slipper clutch on the SWX and where you have the transmission now doesn't allow one to fit. It's difficult to make a tight comp chassis work with all the options out there, as I'm sure you know. I/we do like hearing people's suggestions though. We used a small servo in the stock DNA servo mount during testing and everything fit tightly. We never tried the suggested Hitec servo until after the SWX went into production and we then found out the fit was too tight. That's why I've been suggesting that people either re-drill the stock DNA servo mount and move it over, or as someone posted earlier you can file it down for a little extra room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
I ran the new DNA dig servo mount on my SWX but you couldn't bolt it onto of the trans, I has to mount it to the side of the chassis.
Good to know.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #896
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The new terrain here is different and has some nice lines, although the crawl spots in SoCal are few and far between compared to Colorado. But, since I discovered the Corona Del Mar spot I've been having a blast. It's close to my apartment and there are tons of lines. The scenery at the beach isn't bad either.

take your 'prerunner' SCX-10 out to the Glamis sand dunes and have a blast. Besides the flat out open terrain, I remember there being a ton of rock out croppings to crawl on, even with a 1:1 rig. It's been 20 years since I lived in the area, but Talusa canyon used to be a primo spot for rock crawling.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #897
Rock Crawler

Just a quick question on your shocks. I had an issue with my Axial SWX on steep climbs that it would start to do a wheelie and flip back. This happened to me at the SD Finals. Is there something that can be done to stop this? I have 4 ounces in both front tires also running Losi whites all the way around. I moved the upper link down one hole so that it is in the lowest hole for the upperlink and the front is still parallel to the ground.

I am in the process of gathering parts for another build but still want to fix this so my son can start coming to the comps with me.

Last edited by treday619; 05-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #898
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
take your 'prerunner' SCX-10 out to the Glamis sand dunes and have a blast. Besides the flat out open terrain, I remember there being a ton of rock out croppings to crawl on, even with a 1:1 rig. It's been 20 years since I lived in the area, but Talusa canyon used to be a primo spot for rock crawling.
I haven't made it out there yet, but plan to at some point.

Quote:
Just a quick question on your shocks. I had an issue with my Axial SWX on steep climbs that it would start to do a wheelie and flip back. This happened to me at the SD Finals. Is there something that can be done to stop this? I have 4 ounces in both front tires also running Losi whites all the way around. I moved the upper link down one hole so that it is in the lowest hole for the upperlink and the front is still parallel to the ground.

I am in the process of gathering parts for another build but still want to fix this so my son can start coming to the comps with me.
You could try adding more weight to the wheels. It sounds like you are a on the light side. Try a little stiffer springs and oil in the rear shocks as well. Try leaving the upper links out back parallel to the lowers and mount the upper front links lower on the chassis. Basically just the opposite of what you already tried. That should help you on the steep climbs.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #899
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=BENDER;1775561]I'm running the stock Rover foams out back, and the #8 reach hybrid foams out front from TCS. Each of my front wheels weighs in at 13.3 ounces, and each of the rear wheels weigh about 1/2 of the fronts.

Brad

I have been running a Berg for a while now that I reallly like. But I really like what I see with these shafty. I try to use your SWX with my Rock Force. But with all the dig problem I had I am switching my SWX to a Axial. It looks that the DNA dig is the one for these Axials right. I see you are running 13.3 ounces. What wheels are you running and do you just lead weight them.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #900
I wanna be Dave

i Got a SWX (swix as i call it) about a week ago

this chassis freggin rules! mad props Bender.

i have the new DNA dig and servo mount as well. I used the AX10 RTR servo for the dig, and mounted it in the original position on top of the tranny.

yea its a lil high, but i can still pull 65*-70* inclines, so im not to worried.

i got 13oz of lead in each front, and 5oz in each rear.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote