Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Vf Dig Issues

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #21

No problem, you guys must have been burnt pretty bad by some previous companies to be so nervous. Every time we change something people get suspicious.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I don't know what it is. Seems like some patience would fix 90% of the lameness VF has had to deal with. My dig wasn't perfect when I got it, but I also understood that I was buying the first run of a new product when I got it. There are always bugs that have to be worked out, and you guys have done a good job of doing so. You took care of me, and I'm happy.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #23
RCC Addict

AMAZING: why do people get into a hobby if they aren't willing to tincker? And to blame the component not the installer (ever) boggles the mind.

VF: are ya sorry to have gotten involved in the crawler world yet?

BTW: Bolted mine on "FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS" and it works flawlessly!!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
AMAZING: why do people get into a hobby if they aren't willing to tincker? And to blame the component not the installer (ever) boggles the mind.
The first time I saw this unit, I wet myself. . The design and machining that went into this thing are phenominal. VF has had a place in my heart since that cold winter morning.

My R2D shifts perfectly. Like a lot of things, it's all in the setup. The only reason I'm running the R2D is VF wasn't around when I built my Scorp-dizzle, and it hasn't failed. But I got a break parts kit so it'll get a second chance if it does break. Damnit ........... I wanna try one

The VF dig is more efficient(sp?) than the R2D. Has to be. Stock tranny is way smoother than an R2.
But, IT'S ALL IN THE SETUP.

Quit hasslin VF. I would've taken my ph. # off the web site too. They are way too busy to take every numb-nuts' call. Don't be dumb and freak out. VF didn't invest all this effort into a product that doesn't work.

To sum up this lengthy post.............................................. ..............

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Old 05-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRocks View Post
The first time I saw this unit, I wet myself. . The design and machining that went into this thing are phenominal. VF has had a place in my heart since that cold winter morning.

My R2D shifts perfectly. Like a lot of things, it's all in the setup. The only reason I'm running the R2D is VF wasn't around when I built my Scorp-dizzle, and it hasn't failed. But I got a break parts kit so it'll get a second chance if it does break. Damnit ........... I wanna try one

The VF dig is more efficient(sp?) than the R2D. Has to be. Stock tranny is way smoother than an R2.
But, IT'S ALL IN THE SETUP.

Quit hasslin VF. I would've taken my ph. # off the web site too. They are way too busy to take every numb-nuts' call. Don't be dumb and freak out. VF didn't invest all this effort into a product that doesn't work.

To sum up this lengthy post.............................................. ..............

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Couldn't have said it better myself. most of the people whining probably have no idea of manufacturing, and what it takes to make a product like this.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
This is what it really is boiling down to for a lot of the posts around here about the dig. Nobody wants to play with the things other than on the rocks. "Tinkering" is the best part about it for me. When I was 11 and racing A-Mains Stadium I had no internet and no help from the old guys. I would spend days tinkering to get stuff to work right. And it all payed off back then - I won mains.

My VF Dig is siting on my bench out of the chassis because I have not even bought a radio or motor yet?! But guess what, I dug out my old Magnum and followed the install instructions, then I put an old Futaba S148 on it and cycled it with crappy old packs and it is slick as hell and ready for the crawler when I get the rest. When I got it the VF was way stiff and worried me but I played with it and learned. When I mount the 225 to it I really have no worries but that could be cause of the future DX3R purchase, lol.

Long of the short, you gotta play with your thing!

Edit, I very lazily mounted the servo to the dig so that it would have slack and not bind. I am positive it would burn if fully secured.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #27

:Flame suit on: Ok all you jack azz shat talkers dont know what your talking about. At first i did think that vf was a good company and had a great product so I bought it. Got my dig mounted and the shaft would not move in and out by hand.Fried 4 servos within 10 seconds of trying out the adjustments i made. There was nothing to straighten out....it just wouldnt work right. When i call Don @VF he said he knew what the problem was and told me to send it in one day mail and he would fix it that day and return the favor of a one day mail also. That was two weeks ago and still no tranny. Im kinda pissed that I spent the money on this dig as I missed a comp last weekend because I have no tranny or dig now. I did adjust everything to try and make it work right but when something internal is fawked up not much I can do about it. I understand that some have had a good run with this company and everything works great.....well I havent and it wasnt to do with my machanical skills. I build 1.1s with no issues and these things are much easier to work with. Im sure once I get my tranny and dig back it will work just fine but the fact is I was lied to and Im really unhappy about that. Flame on tards!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Closer to three week wasnt it wheeler? You worked on it for almost a week trying to get the dig to work right.

Last edited by samota87; 05-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Did you try sanding then polishing the brass pin coming out of the locker?

How about sanding and polishing the rod that the linkage connects to?

If I can't move it by hand, I am sure not in hell going to hook 4 servos up to it. Seems like some user error. Patience and set up go a long way. Just because you can work on a 1:1 doesn't necessarily mean you can work on these correctly. There are some tighter tolerances and you only get to work with so much power (torque in a servo compared to hydraulics in 1:1).
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Why would he need to do any sanding or polishing on something that is new from the store? It should work properly right out of the box.In the directions it doesnt say anything about sanding and polishing the shaft.I think you guys shouldnt be giving him a hard time about this. He took your advice and called don and don now hasnt followed through on his end. Wheeler bought the product and now has nothing. Give him a brake. I understand his frustrations with this whole situation. Why make it worse and talk smack.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Im stickin with my R2d. I almost got in line for the VF dig, glad i dint.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I didnt really think I was talking smack. When someone comes on here and says "all you jack azz shat talkers don't know what you are talking about" and "flame on retards" I figure a response is in order.

VF has talked in their vendor thread about sanding the brass pin. This will be made a smaller OD in future runs of production.

I could go on and on about the number of RC products from major manufacturers that needed or do need work out of the box....some costing $1,000. It is a hobby that requires tinkering, some learn to live with it, some don't.

Don may not have followed thru on his end with taking back the product, fixing and returning it.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I didnt really think I was talking smack. When someone comes on here and says "all you jack azz shat talkers don't know what you are talking about" and "flame on retards" I figure a response is in order.

VF has talked in their vendor thread about sanding the brass pin. This will be made a smaller OD in future runs of production.

I could go on and on about the number of RC products from major manufacturers that needed or do need work out of the box....some costing $1,000. It is a hobby that requires tinkering, some learn to live with it, some don't.

Don may not have followed thru on his end with taking back the product, fixing and returning it.

I do understand where your coming from. I have had to modify some full size product but I think wheelers biggest biotch was from some people that had negotive feed back on this thread directed at him and Don not keeping his word. I think I will also stick to my r2d after seeing what has gone wrong with the vf dig. Oh i didnt have to modify anything on my r2d to make it work right. Built my servo mount and mounted the tranny and it works great.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #34
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

This is a hobby of tinkering and that's most of the fun for me. I don't expect every aftermarket part to fit perfectly ESPECIALLY if it's the first run. Some things fit well enough that a minor adjustment needs to be made, then there is no looking back. Other things should never have been shipped. If 1 bushing is the only issue ... it's not a very big deal to me.

I can understand a little aggravation in not having your unit back within a few days of what they quoted.

As for frying 4 servos ... I'd hope that if I were in the same situation I'd stop and think about what was going wrong after the second one fried and that I'd do a little research and ask some questions.

I haven't ordered from VF but I assure you they are NOT the only company that has a few glitches with a product here and there and from the sound of it they seem to have better service (overall) and less problems that a lot of the others.

Last edited by Locked Up; 05-06-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #35

I will track your package tomorrow morning since you haven't received it yet. All I did was sand down the brass pin BTW.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I didn't know the AX-10 came with this.
[quote=Kamikaze;1176212]Hold on, I'll help you out.......CALL THE
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noRCal View Post
Im stickin with my R2d. I almost got in line for the VF dig, glad i dint.
Exactly
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Wheeler - You should have just kept buying and frying servos till it worked it's self out. Mechanical aptitude eh??
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #39

Guys, this really gets under my skin when I see people saying man look at all the problems the VF dig has, glad I didn't buy one. Fact is we sold over 1000 units and 95% of our customers have not had any issues. Yes we did have a run of 30 drive cogs that went out .002 under size that would not fit over the out drive and yes some units needed the out drive brass pin sanded down to operate smoothly and I addressed that the best I could and offered to replace the out drive with a slightly larger pilot hole to make the unit more forgiving for the end user and we made that switch on the last batch so that issue is gone. If we sold 1000 units and you have seen 3 threads with 20 people talking about their unit binding and have decided based on that that our product is a bad one than I guess cant do anything to change your mind but I assure you I am trying with the best of my ability to make things right to the relative few that have had problems. If you are new and not into details and tinkering than the R2 may be better suited for you, our unit is not an R2, just because they both have dig that where the similarity stops. The VF dig was designed to engage with far less roll out and with far less force than the r2 and to be able to disengage under a much higher load. I am not knocking the r2 it is a good product but we are going in a totally different direction as to address digging and feel that we have made a unit that is unmatched in its abilities properly set up. I wish all my customers were local I would just tell the few of you that have had problems to swing by the shop and I will tweak it in 10 min and you will be good to go. Just don't go acting like 95% of our customers have had issues when it's really less than 3% and those 3% have been offered free replacement parts to remedy their issue and the opportunity to send in their tranny and dig for a free tweak if they couldn't figure it out. As far as the servo thing I'm sorry to the few of you that have burned through servos but you should know if its not super slick with your hand pushing and pulling it you probably shouldn't hook a servo to it until the issue is resolved or you are going to damage something, that and start with your end points turned down than work your way up not the other way around.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

hey guys i had some issues with my vf dig unit when i got it. but i didnt go and flame the guy about it. i just started working with it and got the issues all worked out with some 400 grit paper and some polishing compound. sure it had some burs and stuff but that wasnt really a big deal to me. i just stated that some may need to be deburred. mine works flawlessly now and i WILL be ordering another one or 2 of them. great product and keep up the good work guys. and to the winers? shut the hell up and get over it.
Closed Thread