Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Vf Dig Issues

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKMAN View Post
The dig works flawlessly in the hands of someone willing to tune it and assemble it properly. 4 servos? not smart enought to admit you have no clue after the first one. The only mistake VF has made is to assume that Billy Bubba Joe Blow can read instructions and follow them correctly.
I would love to agree with you on that. The reason I got into crawlers is to build them, tune and tinker with them, gives me a break from my 1:1 Jeep.
In my dealings with VF so far I cannot tune it or assemble it due to incorrectly machined parts. I also did not receive any instructions to follow. In fact my crawler has been in pieces for two weeks waiting on them to send parts that will fit correctly.
Consider yourself lucky that you got a good one. I did not realize that I would need a mill to install this product.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #62

Default Dremel, Dremel What?

New, ordered on the seventh and, fresh out of the box today; everything went just fine until I tried to assemble the tranny to the DIG case. Stock outdrive gear in tranny would not fit in DIG.
I see in this thread that there are some machining issues in SOME kits, is this case ID one of them?

While I could probably take the Dremel to it and make it work I think maybe I'll grind down the OD of my main outgear (AX80010) in the tranny instead and then wait to hear back from VF.

Could be that Axial's gear was too big, I dunno.

Last edited by Master_Dirt; 05-12-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: part error
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #63
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Dirt View Post
New, ordered on the seventh and, fresh out of the box today; everything went just fine until I tried to assemble the tranny to the DIG case. Stock outdrive gear in tranny would not fit in DIG.
I see in this thread that there are some machining issues in SOME kits, is this case ID one of them?

While I could probably take the Dremel to it and make it work I think maybe I'll grind down the OD of my main outgear (AX80010) in the tranny instead and then wait to hear back from VF.

I'm confused.....the axial gear goes inside the tranny housing, not in the dig case, so how does it not fit Got a pic to see what you are doing?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Dirt View Post

doesn't the dig come with new outdrives?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

I think this is his problem, just like me. e-mailed VF with still no reply to repair problem. hole to small ? or shaft to big? what to do? might have to mod it my self. argh!!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

I have one of the first ones shipped to the public and I have had zero issues from the start. I love it!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

I've had mine for over a month & it's been used hard - never had an issue with any part of it - did you people even bother to read the INSTRUCTIONS posted on the VF site?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

I had the same problem as Big Bird. I just drilled out the circular part that slides over the tranny outdrive. Annoying, but not too big a deal. I did email sales@visionaryfabrication and they sent out new parts at no cost.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Yup luckily I was an original early adopter. Love it from day one even with a tad bit of working I had to do, very minimal and my trans was used before so that could be part of the issue.

Just 2 nights ago ran into my first problem. 4wd wouldn't lock, so I had front wheel drive in 2 spots and front wheel and rear lock. Tore it down, user error! The set screw holding the new VF dog with brass pin onto the VF output was loose. Apparently in my rush to get it on I forgot to tighten it and use loc-tite! LOL
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Everybody emailing them with no reply back, you need to send them PM's too. I haven't had any problems with there products yet and I bought a DIG unit and there motor plate.....I thought the motor plate was engraved though and mine wasn't. Who cares though cause engraving dosen't affect anything.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBIRD View Post
I think this is his problem, just like me. e-mailed VF with still no reply to repair problem. hole to small ? or shaft to big? what to do? might have to mod it my self. argh!!
Well thats not right, bug the hell out of them because stuff like that should not make it out the door. You could drill out the drive cog if you really needed to.

I just installed my second Dig. This time it was on a stock AX-10 chassis. Make sure that the dig case does NOT touch the skidplate.

I had to trim a little off of the skid to make it work. The dig action should be buttery smooth for the unit to work correctly. If it does not, take it off the truck and find the problem.

Here is a pic of where the dig case was rubbing the stock skid.

And here you can see the corner of the skid that needs to be removed.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

The HD output yolk is supposed to come with it from them. If that one you have that is reading 6.9 is from them, I would say they have a problem with quality control. I personally would rather have the output larger and have to machine a bit out of the ID on the hole. I don't like busted outputs.....

I PMd him and got a response to my first one in about a day. Never got anything back on my 2nd PM. My tracking number tells me that it's hung up in customs with Canada. So either I got the wrong tracking number or he is having someone in Canada make and drop ship them...... I don't know because he hasn't responded.
But, it's not like I can't play with the stock setup, so I'm not too worried.

Toys are toys and we need to remember that. When someone facilitates us being able to play with cool toys, you gotta give them some slack. It's not like VF has the cash to throw into R&D on a product like FMF/MOOSE... does on their ATV/Cycle parts. I have tried to get machine shops to make stuff for me in the past and they either don't want to mess with it or do something and bail on me because they didn't make enough on little piddly jobs. Then I had to go looking for another shop. In the long run, I had to buy my mill and lathe......

Quote:
Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #73
I joined the Band!

Default vf dig issues..

cutting slack to a company making a product that is suposed to work correctly is ridiculous in my opinion.the company said it was a working unit ,they also said it was a bolt on product ..not many bolt on with no mods required..im sure many people would pay more if it was assembled prior to shipping so the consumer had a bolt on unit..remember alot of people purchased these because they cant make their own dig ..these same people may not have the mental capacity or manual dexterity to do the job of modding the dig unit..
mine showed up the baggy open and the parts all over the inside of the box ..i had to get a set screw and the collar from my lhs..the same hole bigbird is showing as to small mine is oval..that cant be good..the holes the bolts for the outdrives seat against are broken through on the sides..
this is far from a unit that needs any slack cut to the company producing it..if it was an awesome product we wouldnt care about poor service and conflicking statements from the owners..i have a sherline mill/lathe so i can fix or replace any peices i need ,but not everyone can.
hey bigbird next time in mission you can turn it on my mill ..if vf doesnt help you..whats with the gap around the brass pin.

Last edited by colonelangus; 05-13-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelangus View Post
hey bigbird next time in mission you can turn it on my mill ..if vf doesnt help you..whats with the gap around the brass pin.
thanks, colonel, pm me your number. and not only is there a gap arround the pin, but the pin is crooked. nice....
Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
doesn't the dig come with new outdrives?
My problem is resolved, where I went wrong was in the transition between the first and second pages of the instructions where the transmission was reassembled. I didn't notice it and of course was trying to assemble it that way.
I had rebuilt the original and put it all back together, 100% done (without the DIG) then looked at this thread again. So I tore it down again and this time, looked at the instructions a little more carefully.
I did have to drill out one hole on the DIG case, but now I'm assembled and will see if I can get it to work. It binds up too easily but I'll work on it more.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #76

Guys I have been very sick since Sunday so if you have been trying to get through to me I will be catching up on my e-mails/shipments all day tomorrow so don't PANIC! I will take care of you as you can see from the other posts if you have a bad part or you just need advise.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
cutting slack to a company making a product that is suposed to work correctly is ridiculous in my opinion.the company said it was a working unit ,they also said it was a bolt on product ..not many bolt on with no mods required..im sure many people would pay more if it was assembled prior to shipping so the consumer had a bolt on unit..remember alot of people purchased these because they cant make their own dig ..these same people may not have the mental capacity or manual dexterity to do the job of modding the dig unit..
mine showed up the baggy open and the parts all over the inside of the box ..i had to get a set screw and the collar from my lhs..the same hole bigbird is showing as to small mine is oval..that cant be good..the holes the bolts for the outdrives seat against are broken through on the sides..
this is far from a unit that needs any slack cut to the company producing it..if it was an awesome product we wouldnt care about poor service and conflicking statements from the owners..i have a sherline mill/lathe so i can fix or replace any peices i need ,but not everyone can.
I agree with all of that. I oredered a slingshot and motor plate, the website says ships in two weeks. More than two weeks now and nothing. On top of that I have sent them multiple e-mails with just some general questions no answers to any of them, and I sent the e-mails over a week ago. I have never had to put up with service from any company like this. When someone has my money and they can't even answer my e-mails that is pitiful. This will be my one and only purchase from this company.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT@VF View Post
Guys I have been very sick since Sunday so if you have been trying to get through to me I will be catching up on my e-mails/shipments all day tomorrow so don't PANIC! I will take care of you as you can see from the other posts if you have a bad part or you just need advise.
thanks, for the reply in the post, pm would be great, i e-mailed and pm'd
Old 05-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #79
I joined the Band!

Quote:
thanks, colonel, pm me your number. and not only is there a gap arround the pin, but the pin is crooked. nice....
wow the pin is crooked. may have to get them to send you a new one..hopefully they can resolve your problem quickly..
Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Ok,
after doing some more research on them, I have to agree with this. I thought this was mostly a home shop type thing and it's not. There are three guys listed on their web page and I assume all are still there. More than one guy should be able to get this stuff resolved a bit quicker. Now, if his partners bailed on him, I can see issues with being sick. But, the others need to pick it up if one goes down. I am personally involved in 4 small businesses in the mid west, if we ran things the way this is going, we would never have any business. I know what it takes to do it and these guys are getting pretty borderline here. I'm not trying to diss the VF guys for trying to have a go at it, I'm trying to point out that it takes more than one to run a business and this isn't working.

Quote:
Closed Thread