Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: THE RISE OF THE FALLEN, Litoria Verreauxii Alpina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The rise of the fallen, Litoria Verreauxii Alpina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I would disagree strongly with this statement, the only material lighter than Delrin is CF. I prefer Delrin as a building material to aluminum or Stainless any day. It's light weight it slides easily on rock and in a big fall it flexes slightly to save wear and tear on other rigid parts, it's the perfect material for what we do.
As far as my link experiences have gone, even with the slipper set to "don't flex my links", the delrin has to be as heavy as a plastic sleeved all thread link to not flex in a bind. To a tenth of a gram, even.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
As far as my link experiences have gone, even with the slipper set to "don't flex my links", the delrin has to be as heavy as a plastic sleeved all thread link to not flex in a bind. To a tenth of a gram, even.
I wasn't going to say anything, but now that someone else has I will. I get very very little flex out of delrin links, on every rig I've run them on. I'm starting to wonder if you were using delrin for your links, as it shouldn't be that bad. And it is very light, I took all the electronics off tonight and weighed it as a roller and it barely hit 3 lbs, it was closer to 2.8 lbs. That is with delrin chassis, links, skid, and the tranny and axles. I'll weigh all that by itself with a pic if you'd like.

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 02-07-2012 at 07:49 PM.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I have no doubt that is true. I just know I almost cried after making my first set of delrin links.

My allthread links with pen sleeves and revo ends and eyelets weigh ~.1 grams less than my 3/8" delrin links with revos and eyelets. When I tried a thinner rod it would bend up like a set of RTC nylon links.

ninja edit: I bend the shit out of the delrin without heat, so that is probably a contributing factor. I used 4mm allthread to connect the rod ends to the delrin; if I use a smaller piece of rod the links constantly break. It was the first thing I tried after weighing them.

Last edited by opek; 02-08-2012 at 01:10 AM.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Well I've never personally been in a situation where .1 grams made any difference, maybe you have but the fact that it slides over rock so easy makes up for the .1 gram difference. As it stands with my rig loaded up as if I was about to comp it I barely tip the scale at 4lbs. like I said. I'm not to worried about weight at this point. Delrin is a tried and true material for me and all the crawlers I own/have owned over the years.

BTW Updates to come this weekend. Running pics and maybe a video
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Well I've never personally been in a situation where .1 grams made any difference, maybe you have but the fact that it slides over rock so easy makes up for the .1 gram difference. As it stands with my rig loaded up as if I was about to comp it I barely tip the scale at 4lbs. like I said. I'm not to worried about weight at this point. Delrin is a tried and true material for me and all the crawlers I own/have owned over the years.

BTW Updates to come this weekend. Running pics and maybe a video
OOOhhhhhh, updates I like updates. I have my rig torn apart at the moment. Took all of the Aluminum upgrades moved to my Foff. I have new Hubs and knuckles coming. I will be taking some measurements for general purpose for you.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Thanks man And yea I figured you might like updates
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Croakin' across the pond!

I've looked at Delrin uppers - both 6mm and 8mm but I ended up using RC4WD stainless steel ones. They don't go near the rock and so stiction isn't an issue. The big issue I had was clearing the front shock/spring set up. The 6mm delrin rods did flex, although I doubt that this had a significant impact on performance. The 8mm ones didn't flex but were simply too fat - leading to clearance issues on the springs. The stainless ons are thin but stiff - titanium would be better of course but the RC4WD ones do work well. I'm still running 3mm ends on the uppers, although the PD lowers now have 4mm ends on them and are very strong.

I can see how a Traxxas Shock / mini spring set up would help on the front - just in terms of clearance alone.

I also missed out on Casey's BTA link - It only ever worked with the VP 0 Ackerman BTA and as I hadn't bought the knuckles then I was leaving my options open. Too late now!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Saw some razors in the for sale section. If the Wife gave the go ahead.

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 02-08-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: edit
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
opek don't be offended because no disrespect was intended to you but I disagree 110% with your statement.

I've been running home made Delrin links for a long long time there is no flex at all during competition and my results prove it. Big falls sure, but that just saves other equipment from breakage. Plus they are extremely light about half or more of a stainless steel link and they slip easily across the rocks which metal doesn't do very well.

My rigs are all 99% Delrin including the links and they perform as reliable and well as anything out there. If there was anything better I'd be running it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
I've looked at Delrin uppers - both 6mm and 8mm but I ended up using RC4WD stainless steel ones. They don't go near the rock and so stiction isn't an issue. The big issue I had was clearing the front shock/spring set up. The 6mm delrin rods did flex, although I doubt that this had a significant impact on performance. The 8mm ones didn't flex but were simply too fat - leading to clearance issues on the springs. The stainless ons are thin but stiff - titanium would be better of course but the RC4WD ones do work well. I'm still running 3mm ends on the uppers, although the PD lowers now have 4mm ends on them and are very strong.

I can see how a Traxxas Shock / mini spring set up would help on the front - just in terms of clearance alone.

I also missed out on Casey's BTA link - It only ever worked with the VP 0 Ackerman BTA and as I hadn't bought the knuckles then I was leaving my options open. Too late now!
For now I'll stick with delrin, that could change though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
Saw some razors in the for sale section. If the Wife gave the go ahead.
OOO thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
opek don't be offended because no disrespect was intended to you but I disagree 110% with your statement.

I've been running home made Delrin links for a long long time there is no flex at all during competition and my results prove it. Big falls sure, but that just saves other equipment from breakage. Plus they are extremely light about half or more of a stainless steel link and they slip easily across the rocks which metal doesn't do very well.

My rigs are all 99% Delrin including the links and they perform as reliable and well as anything out there. If there was anything better I'd be running it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

My Sporty for your review 99% Delrin with 1/4" upper links.

Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
RCC Addict

For what it is worth my "PD" has alot of Delrin. Even the link from my servo to the BTA link.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Both rigs look awesome guys! Thread hijack's over now though LOL so, anyobody have any tips to maximize this chassis ability to climb besides the aforementioned?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Both rigs look awesome guys! Thread hijack's over now though LOL so, anyobody have any tips to maximize this chassis ability to climb besides the aforementioned?
LOL !

I guess I should read back in the thread. I see you have C-hubs and knuckles ordered, Caster will make big changes. Have you considered or done the re-gearing of the axles. Overdrive front / Underdrive Rear ? Out of all mods I have done on my builds, I have found this to be the BIGGEST Change.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Yea I actually don't think the local club has touched on that, so before I drop the cash for some nice new gears, I need to find that out.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yea I actually don't think the local club has touched on that, so before I drop the cash for some nice new gears, I need to find that out.
Now I have not heard of that one yet. I hope not, because if that is so your Comp people are going way beyond.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Yea, well they're the ones that made the rule about the front 3 link as well Anyway I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #38
Croakin' across the pond!

I've done the same as DRV - aluminium C Hubs, Beef tools and some castor added. I also have overdriven/underdriven axles. Mine climbs very well for a non dig shafty but mine has very good slow speed control and braking as I'm using a Novak Rooster ESC 55T motor combo (it's not broken yet Duuuuude)! The down side of this though is that it doesn't have the oomph that you get from a Holmes setup (and the Novak is limited to 2S of course).

Mine's never had the rollover recover that DRV enjoyed from his - if it falls off a climb it normally sits with its wheels in the air!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Hmm, yea I'm really looking forward to getting my crawlmaster, I think I'll have the "oomph" that I need, even on 2s. BTW I've been checking out Borris alot lately and I really like it! Both your build and DRV's have gotten me thinking.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Sorry guys, vid and pics may not happen till later in the week. We got about 2' of snow so unless it melts substantially it will be later.

THE RISE OF THE FALLEN, Litoria Verreauxii Alpina - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.... BADLANDS...Will they RISE aswell ? m&mkrawler Tires and Wheels 7 04-10-2009 08:43 AM
High Rise speed probs ccga3359 Newbie General 3 01-07-2008 09:35 PM
Rise of the TLT buildup ILoveRCRockCrawlin Tamiya TLT Crawlers 24 12-18-2005 09:24 AM
...Lord Gator Rage...........RISE!!!! MikeCRO Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 09-29-2005 07:33 AM