Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SW3 Build with AX10 axles and tranny........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #121
Pebble Pounder

just got my ax10/ SW3 done.

man what a difference.

it seems to me that your chassis is a better fit and works better(a lot) than the stocker.

Thanks Bender for all the help and setup tips.
lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #122
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessnut View Post
that fits nice..will you be selling per drilled skid plate anytime soon?
i love the look of it :-P. and its not that hard to mesure and drill the holes yourself.
bodybags101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #123
RCC Addict

Wink

Drilling the plate is simple........use your stock pan as a template, scribe-it, punch it (keep drill from wandering) and drill it. Bender used a dremel, i believe a drill-press is easier (for dorks like me) plus i'm using just two holes, countersunk, works well.Enjoy!!!!!!!!
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #124
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky Krawler View Post
Thanks Bender!

I just want to thank everyone for being cool on this thread. Being a newbie I see other newbies get ripped apart and made fun of all of the time. Sure I am sure you guys have wanted to do the same with me, so I really apreciate eveyone taking the time to explain things.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
now i want one of these
That can be arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
just got my ax10/ SW3 done.

man what a difference.

it seems to me that your chassis is a better fit and works better(a lot) than the stocker.

Thanks Bender for all the help and setup tips.
No problem, glad the chassis is working good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybags101 View Post
i love the look of it :-P. and its not that hard to mesure and drill the holes yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
Drilling the plate is simple........use your stock pan as a template, scribe-it, punch it (keep drill from wandering) and drill it. Bender used a dremel, i believe a drill-press is easier (for dorks like me) plus i'm using just two holes, countersunk, works well.Enjoy!!!!!!!!
It is very easy to drill the SW3 skid for the AX10 trans. Thanks for the info cato. I will offer skid plates pre-drilled for the Axial tranny soon.

Thanks again guys.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #125
I wanna be Dave

Oh I am getting excited I cant wait for mine. I just ordered it early this week. Does anybody know if bender emails you when the chassis has been shipped?
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #126
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Oh I am getting excited I cant wait for mine. I just ordered it early this week. Does anybody know if bender emails you when the chassis has been shipped?
Sorry I missed this. I don't usually e-mail people when I ship orders, might not be a bad idea though.

Your order did go out this morning.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #127
I wanna be Dave

Default SW3 shoppers READ THIS

Bender SW3 Rocks!

If you’re considering this Chassis READ THIS.

So I received my SW3 chassis last night. I put it together and my buddy who had the exact same set up as my Axial brought his Ax to come over for a mini comp in my rock garden. I was skeptically dropping $65 for a chassis that I thought looked cool, but may not perform that much better over stock. My buddy thought I was stupid and was wasting my money. I know 1 thing! “This Chassis doesn’t just make a little difference it makes a night and day difference.” Cato on this build said he was “impressed” I agree completely, but also think “impressed" is an understatement. I could not believe the lines I could drive over that my axial struggled with on several times. I set it up with 2” of ground clearance because that is what our axials had with the big bores and I wanted last night to be a good comparison between what I had vs. the SW3. Needless to say I schooled my buddies Axial. He couldn’t believe it and honestly neither could I. My friend who once made fun of me for buying a new chassis was now asking to drive my rig half the night. Keep in mind this is the same setup as my axial other than shorter lower links. Although the skid plate is longer than stock I now understand that the skid being thinner makes more of a difference than being shorter, Don’t let the longer skid turn you away from the SW3. I know Bender knows what he is doing and this is why he set it up this way. My first comp I took 34th out of 55 I have my second comp next Saturday so I will give you more updates as to how much better I did.

I will promote this chassis until I die, or at least until a SW4 comes out!

Sorry this is so long!

Last edited by Chaotic Crawlers; 12-03-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

I got some pictures up on our local Forum.

http://eight01rcc.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=213
Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #129
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
I got some pictures up on our local Forum.

http://eight01rcc.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=213
Very nice, I like how you bent the lower links.

Thanks again for the compliments on the chassis too.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Thanks brad that means a lot coming from the man who makes these. Any suggestions on what i could have done better?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Finally got a chance to start a build with the AX10 Scorpion and my SW3 chassis. After finishing up the axles, I assembled the upper Y links from the Axial kit. With the stock SW3 skid plate bolted up to the chassis plates, the Y link's rod ends fit on the outside of the chassis nicely. Using the stock upper links, my wheelbase will be about 12". So I found some Jato turnbuckles, Part #5538 in my toolbox and they work perfectly as lower links. I tried using the stock lower links, but they were too long.

Why are the Side plates different ? one is cut down low the other side is full with cut outs
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #132
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Why are the Side plates different ? one is cut down low the other side is full with cut outs
I did that to allow the tranny to be pulled out as quickly as possible, in case of breakage during comps. The SW3 is originally designed around the Stampede tranny, the tranny mounts to the engraved chassis plate. The open motor side plate makes it easier to work on the rig without completely tearing it down. It also allows AX10 owners to move the tranny around before they drill the holes and mount it.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did that to allow the tranny to be pulled out as quickly as possible, in case of breakage during comps. The SW3 is originally designed around the Stampede tranny, the tranny mounts to the engraved chassis plate. The open motor side plate makes it easier to work on the rig without completely tearing it down. It also allows AX10 owners to move the tranny around before they drill the holes and mount it.
Amen! I have been popping shaft (even with the zip tie trick on the yokes) like crazy screwing around and it is so nice to have that open side to work on things. I thought you also did it to ofset the weight from the motor being on that side. This things is so balanced it is amazing but i guess i was wrong.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #134
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Amen! I have been popping shaft (even with the zip tie trick on the yokes) like crazy screwing around and it is so nice to have that open side to work on things. I thought you also did it to ofset the weight from the motor being on that side. This things is so balanced it is amazing but i guess i was wrong.
The engraved plate does help offset the weight of the motor, and gives the chassis strength at the same time.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #135
RCC Addict

I'm in, thanks for the chance ...excited to see how this SW3 and the AX-10 axles/trans works. Very cool!!!

Last edited by DeaDShorT; 12-07-2007 at 09:26 PM.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #136
Pebble Pounder

you will not be disappointed!! super easy to switch over from stock and the balance and performance is unreal ! IMO
stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:11 AM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So then why make the make the other side more filled in, why not more open, make both sides the same
Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Shouldn't the skid be as smooth and solid to slid over rocks

why the heck would you create open pockets like this
Old 12-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #139
Keep it real

The reason the skid is short, is to accomodate a stampede tranny(which is what the SW chassis' were originally designed for)which lets the ears of the tranny slide down past the skid(that's the 2 holes you see in the chassis bottom section), for the lowest center of gravity. With a different tranny, it opens up those voids, but that is curable with a custom longer skid.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #140
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
So then why make the make the other side more filled in, why not more open, make both sides the same
For strength. I can't sell a super thin flyweight chassis to the general public. What happens when they start bending on my customers? Also the bigger chassis plate has the RCC and SW3 logo on them, which I like.

Quote:
Shouldn't the skid be as smooth and solid to slid over rocks

why the heck would you create open pockets like this
Tanis answered this already, it is because of the Stampede tranny. I ran a short skid for a while with no real issues getting caught up on it.