Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #221
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The unofficial official axial portal buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Never thought I'd see the day you preordered an Axial

I think it's an OK idea, the problem I have is it is 23T whereas most servos people use are 25T. I get why they'd want you to use a Spektrum servo, and I suppose most people will buy the horn of their choice anyway.

Since the portal gears are presumably the same F/R and Rich mentioned overdrive for the front, I'm going to say ring & pinion.

I thought the same thing on the pre-order.. haha

There are inserts for both 23T and 25T servos included so you are covered.

And if anyone uses a 24T they are available for sale part # LOSA99042
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #222

I'm not a dig user, but I'm going to give it a shot with my Capra.
Can the dig be used to cut off the power to the back tires for steep climes so it pulls up rather than having the rear wheels spin it over backwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
Thanks for sharing! The video is impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Ring and Pinion
Portal OD/UD would have been impressive, but the ring and pinion make sense.

Oh BTW I preorded a Capra kit along with the Spektrum micro servo. I preordered mostly because I'm anxious to see how Horizon improved Axial and hopefully took them back to the glory days of the OG SCX10.

When I get it I'll do a fair review, but it's no secret I can be harsh. I just don't let things slide as easy as other people seem to do.

Any idea what modifications the Capra had in the video above? For example, has any weight been added to the front? It can do some impressive and steep climbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Never thought I'd see the day you preordered an Axial
I think people think I just hate Axial and always have. That's not true at all. I used to love Axial. The OG SCX10 is what got me hooked on this niche of RC. I love my Bomber and SMT10 too. But Axial did put out a lot of subpar stuff IMO.

Oh and I put down the money for a Capra because I'm anxious to see what Horizon does with Axial.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #223
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I have very few complaints about this rig. Why are you ragging on me?

Good info about the servo an extension wire.
There was probably a design note somewhere that said: "Yes, Jato will like this." .

Otherwise, I'm highly interested in this for sure. The only worry I see is that little 12t input gear but it looks like something that gear companies could churn out pretty easily.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #224
Rock Stacker

I wonder if the dig unit can be set up for 3 positions? (lock, freewheel, drive) Is that a "thing" or not needed? I guess I could see benefits.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #225
RCC Addict

In the video it looked like there was overdrive in the front. I could be wrong as I was watching the video on my phone without my glasses on

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wonder if the dig unit can be set up for 3 positions? (lock, freewheel, drive) Is that a "thing" or not needed? I guess I could see benefits.
That would be cool.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #227

factory light bar?

Toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #228
RCC Addict

This thing checks off many boxes for me as far as a crawler goes; portals, electronics and battery up front, DIG. I was literally going to go by my LHS today and order a trx4 sport unassembled kit. Now, I'm unsure about the trx4. I really wanted a scale type truck that I could customize. DANG! What to do?

The interior and drivers are a nice touch. One of the things I liked about my Wraith was that when it took a tumble, it had the cage to protect the truck. You didn't have to worry about cracking a lexan body. That's another thing that intrigues me about the Capra.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #229
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Can the dig be used to cut off the power to the back tires for steep climes so it pulls up rather than having the rear wheels spin it over backwards?

When I get it I'll do a fair review, but it's no secret I can be harsh.

Any idea what modifications the Capra had in the video above? For example, has any weight been added to the front? It can do some impressive and steep climbs.
Yes, there was a clip cut where i literally drug the rear end down a steep face.

You harsh....nooooo, never

Yes, I had about 2 ounces of weight added to the front wheels. Other than that it was completely stock using the included shock oil and springs.

Quote:
Yes but it is very tight spacing in between. The dig servo has a servo saver spring to help protect it from those that are not good at setting end points. Because of this, it's not as precise as a solid arm. It's doable but for the most part all my testing was in the 2 position as this is how the majority of users will use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
In the video it looked like there was overdrive in the front.

Nope, standard gear ratios all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
factory light bar?
LED Light bar is included in the kit.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #230
RCC Addict

Impressive. I'm sure with some steel beadlocks, it would further enhance the performance of this rig

Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #231
RCC Addict

It doesn't seem like there's really much to upgrade on this rig, other than perhaps adding overdrive to the front.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #232

Quote:
Yes, there was a clip cut where i literally drug the rear end down a steep face.

You harsh....nooooo, never

Yes, I had about 2 ounces of weight added to the front wheels. Other than that it was completely stock using the included shock oil and springs.

Yes but it is very tight spacing in between. The dig servo has a servo saver spring to help protect it from those that are not good at setting end points. Because of this, it's not as precise as a solid arm. It's doable but for the most part all my testing was in the 2 position as this is how the majority of users will use it.
I meant uphill. Would a dig work in that case? For short distances obviously as you wouldn't want to drag the tail all the way up an obstacle.

I've calmed down over the years. I'm a passionate person for better and for worse. I've pretty much always been a strong supporter of Horizon though.

You add weight to the wheels? Newb! Just kidding, I sometimes still do that as well, but there are some people, for whatever reason, that bemoan it. On a slow, technical rig like this I will probably add some weight.

Did you use the stock Hyrax foams or the Proline dual stage foams?

Anyway, only 2 ounces of weight added is damn impressive! At around 1:23 on the video my trucks would start flipping over backwards once the rear tire starts surmounting the the steep obstacle.

The dig sounds great. I would prefer the 3 position because I can see where both lock and freewheel would come in handy.

I have to say...I'm pretty damn excited about this rig! Hopefully my preorder was in early enough to get in on the first shipment. That's why I chose to order directly from Horizon.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #233
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ring and Pinion
Groovy. I figured the VP parts might be uhhh... similar enough.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #234
RCC Addict

The line this thing pulled at 1:20 in the video is damn impressive. I've watched the video 5 times now. This thing climbs exactly how I would want a crawler to climb.

Ok, just take my freakin' money already!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #235
RCC Addict

Rich, what type of Weights did you put in the front wheels?

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #236
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
I meant uphill. Would a dig work in that case? For short distances obviously as you wouldn't want to drag the tail all the way up an obstacle.

I've calmed down over the years. I'm a passionate person for better and for worse. I've pretty much always been a strong supporter of Horizon though.

Did you use the stock Hyrax foams or the Proline dual stage foams?

- Yes having dig totally changes what you can do with the rig, even preloading the suspension in certain situations. It's really a fun feature to play with.

- I know and can appreciate it (just dishing a little back in fun). I feel pretty good that your going to be happy with this rig.

- Stock foams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Rich, what type of Weights did you put in the front wheels?
Full size automotive wheel balance weights.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #237

Quote:
- Yes having dig totally changes what you can do with the rig, even preloading the suspension in certain situations. It's really a fun feature to play with.

- I know and can appreciate it (just dishing a little back in fun). I feel pretty good that your going to be happy with this rig.

- Stock foams
Sounds fun. I'm genuinely excited for this rig!

OK as long as it's ribbing and not that I scorned you without knowing!

Another question - do you know the offset of the stock wheels? I'd like to get aluminum wheels with the same offset as stock.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #238
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I meant uphill. Would a dig work in that case?

Yes, I have used dig to go up hill and lock my front tires on a ledge, then disengage and pop the car up.

As Rich pointed out it can be setup as a 3 position dig where you can freewheel or lock the rear axle, but it requires a very precise set up on the EPA and sub-trim setup on your radio. While the servo saver tolerances are pretty tight any sort of play here will make it hard to set up perfectly, you could lock it out but run the risk of burning up your servo if not set perfectly.
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.k View Post
Yes, I have used dig to go up hill and lock my front tires on a ledge, then disengage and pop the car up.

As Rich pointed out it can be setup as a 3 position dig where you can freewheel or lock the rear axle, but it requires a very precise set up on the EPA and sub-trim setup on your radio. While the servo saver tolerances are pretty tight any sort of play here will make it hard to set up perfectly, you could lock it out but run the risk of burning up your servo if not set perfectly.
Very cool! I'm anxious to try out the dig.

So you're the designer?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #240
RCC Addict

This is the first release from any manufacturer that has me considering selling my absolutely dialed-in Wraith (all business crawler, not scaled out) and building this as its replacement. I hate to say it, but it looks like a box stock Capra would nearly keep up with a well dialed Wraith, and once the aftermarket jumps in (really, just see a need for knuckle weights) the Capra has the potential to surpass it. Had I not JUST finished building a new MOA, it would have been easy to justify buying the Capra, but as of now, something would have to go to fund it. Hmmm... I'm gonna have to think on that.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

The unofficial official axial portal buggy. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portal axials on ax10 axial............... bob1961 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-03-2018 04:45 PM
Gmade R1 Rock Buggy Portal Axle any good mudd_slinger General Crawlers 3 12-20-2011 08:25 PM
RC Adventures - Axial Wraith - Unofficial Running Video RCSPARKS Scale Videos! 13 06-08-2011 07:21 AM
official duratrax vendetta buggy and st thread . snowball50 Chit Chat 7 02-10-2007 12:47 AM