Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Superbleeder's Honcho/Tacoma Build Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

couple more little updates

picked up a whopping 18 ounces of wheel weights from work today for nothing

went home, broke out the double sided foam tape and put 6 ounces in each front wheel and 3 in each rear wheel. the thing is HEAVY now so we'll see how well it works out for the rig hopefully this weekend at a GTG

also made a stop-strap for the tilt body since I got tired of it just flopping back

AND, flipped the trans to see if it'll help with some of the torque twist. Now I need to pick up a spur cover before I eat up wires in it, lol

iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #82
RCC Addict

I've been using one of my bungee cords to stop the body from flipping all the way over. Not a good solution since I have to take it on and off every time. I may blend your idea and mine and make a mounted bungee.

How are you liking those shocks? I am getting tired of my leaky shocks that seem to bind a little on the dual spring compression.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #83
Rock Stacker

looks good man
droppedls4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
How are you liking those shocks? I am getting tired of my leaky shocks that seem to bind a little on the dual spring compression.
for what I paid for them, they're awesome! haven't leaked a drop, the spring rate is just about perfect, and the extra little bit of length seems to help the articulation a lot!

Sent from my space age wireless communication device.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

another day of wheel'n

Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Awesome, really wish I had been able to makemit out there. Glad you had fun and it's good to see there is some scale area out there as well. I'll def be in for next time.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

upgrades!

I love the classifieds section!

a second set of Axial 1.9 wheels with some MTHead rings courtesy of bayareaaxial, and some 1.9 Boggers already cut, courtesy of R2j

definitely taller than stock! but they're pretty much just right in my opinion

the spare will even fit, with a little massaging, lol

installed a new radio system, courtesy of Adamsdad

and installed a Wraith trans and motor! courtesy of angryone

through holes; NO MORE YOKES POPPING OFF!!!

and the 80t spur and 20t motor give this thing a LOT more pep! so let's see what I break now

going to put everything to the test tomorrow. heading out for a little scale running! pics to come
Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Very nice man, tomorow should be lots of fun. I got my new Mickey's in today as well and got them installed. Cant wait to see how they run in the dirt and water/mud!

AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Very cool build. I like the idea of relocating the batt. I'm going to try that. I have some scrap sheet aluminum I could make a tray out of

I like the anntenna. But with how much I roll, it'd get jacked up
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I like the anntenna. But with how much I roll, it'd get jacked up

yeah mine's always bent out of shape, lol. It's probably going to come off. I did it spare of the moment anyhow; it could be made better. I heard some guitar string works pretty well for a scale CB antenna, so if I come across some I may give that a try
Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #91
RCC Addict

im diggin the leads off the project boxes!
the mtheads look great
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
im diggin the leads off the project boxes!
the mtheads look great
thanks was the simplest solution I could think of to pass the wires through the boxes and keep things waterproof and not have a mess of silicone or liquid electrical tape all over the place, lol

yeah the rings look killer; I LOVE them and the new tires. the rig performed GREAT with the tires and added wheel speed this past Sunday! until the set screw backed out of the pinion gear near the end of the day but hey at least I didn't break anything and it was a simple fix!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #93
Rock Stacker

hows that trans working out? what the reason for the swap? just to get a little more pep?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
yeah mine's always bent out of shape, lol. It's probably going to come off. I did it spare of the moment anyhow; it could be made better. I heard some guitar string works pretty well for a scale CB antenna, so if I come across some I may give that a try
That may work well. You can still use a paperclip to make the bottom coil, but then affix a heavy gauge guitar string as the antenna part. Then if you roll, it's already floppy anyway

I did the same mod to my battery tray. I mounted the receiver and ESC in the tray, and made a little tray out of some scrap aluminum for the battery to sit in. I kept the receiver box though (I've seen some people take it out to relocated the battery in it's place) and it's a little tight, but works great
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by droppedls4dr View Post
hows that trans working out? what the reason for the swap? just to get a little more pep?
it's working out great! there were a few reasons I put the Wraith trans and motor both into it. first and foremost, it was priced too good in the classifieds to pass up but it got me a new motor since the 27t was on its way out, it got me a spur cover which I had been wanting, the Wraith trans outputs are drilled through so I no longer have to deal with set screws coming loose (HUGE plus), and one of the output sides are longer so it shortened up my rear drive shaft A LOT and gave the slip part of the drive shaft more contact area (only was a problem before because I'm using Traxxas drive shafts). and yeah the 20t motor and 80t spur give it PLENTY of wheels speed while still keeping the ability to crawl. speed wise, it brought it pretty much right where I wanted it

Sent from my space age wireless communication device.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #96
Rock Stacker

nice Im going to build another rig SOON! and im going to piece it together so Ill keep my eyes open for one, I like the fact it has a cover and shorts the rear up, I need both of these....
Old 10-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

got bored this afternoon and had a little juice left in one of the packs

Axial SCX10 Honcho playing around - YouTube
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

well I didn't go wheel with the locals today, so I figured I would at least do something to the rig if I wasn't wheeling it

started by mounting the servo back on the axle. The CMS was giving me a lot of bump steer & making the rig twist & lean in weird ways when trying to turn in a tight spot, so it just wasn't worth that extra scale look. so I made a new link for it & mounted it back on the axle. then I moved the battery back close to the stock location, only a little lower. and the only reason I really did that is because I wanted to make some inner fenders whipped them up using an old blank CD case top, and sprayed them with some automotive undercoating!

looks SO much better from the outside now not being able to see all the "guts" in the rig when flexing

the battery relocation doesn't seem to have upset the COG too much. it'll still lean pretty far before wanting to topple over

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-30-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

You almost lost me with the cd case wheel wells, but after the body went back on, it looks great! Nice job!
bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

I was making some aluminum inner fender wells, but I'm going to unsteal that, and steal your idea