Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 build - My first kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #61

Default Re: Axial SCX10 build - My first kit.

I like it. Looks a lot like mine, ha

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...t-build**.html

You are suppose to cut a small round hole through the back window and the piece sticking out from the cage attaches to your spare tire mount with a body clip. Or else your spare tire is going to be bouncing around and it will probably break the mount. I used a body reamer.
daltrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Looks good
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltrey View Post
I like it. Looks a lot like mine, ha

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...t-build**.html

You are suppose to cut a small round hole through the back window and the piece sticking out from the cage attaches to your spare tire mount with a body clip. Or else your spare tire is going to be bouncing around and it will probably break the mount. I used a body reamer.
Ah okay thanks I see! I'll do that some time today. Mine does look a lot like yours lol!!! I think all black looks the best...just my opinion. Your body looks a lot better "built" than mine. I guess you have a lot more experience cutting, painting, and applying decals. Yours looks really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Looks good
Thanks!

I just got out and ran it around the backyard in the rain, and it goes over everything! I'm surprised...its like a monster truck that actually looks good! It was crawling over leaves, dead roots, rocks, divots, etc. Looks like its gonna be a fun truck. Oh one question about something I noticed when driving it. When I give it full throttle, it goes only about as fast as someone who is speed walking. Is this is normal with a 27T motor? Of course, I am not looking for insane speed at all from this truck because its not meant for it, I'm just curious since I'm used to speedy rc cars.

Last edited by electricrc68; 12-29-2013 at 08:47 AM.
electricrc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Something bizarre just happened with my car. I took it out in the rain again since there was now a big collection of water, so I decided to ford through it slowly, and it got through fine. Well as I was turning back around, I noticed that smoke started coming out the side of the car. Everything is waterproofed, but I still got worried, turned it off, and brought it in. Upon inspection, nothing looks burnt...I don't notice anything on the ESC, Motor, or servo. The weird part is, everything still works perfectly fine! I'm a little confused. Anyone ever have this happen before? It still smells like burnt electronics, but works fine...
Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Ah okay thanks I see! I'll do that some time today. Mine does look a lot like yours lol!!! I think all black looks the best...just my opinion. Your body looks a lot better "built" than mine. I guess you have a lot more experience cutting, painting, and applying decals. Yours looks really nice!

Thanks!

I just got out and ran it around the backyard in the rain, and it goes over everything! I'm surprised...its like a monster truck that actually looks good! It was crawling over leaves, dead roots, rocks, divots, etc. Looks like its gonna be a fun truck. Oh one question about something I noticed when driving it. When I give it full throttle, it goes only about as fast as someone who is speed walking. Is this is normal with a 27T motor? Of course, I am not looking for insane speed at all from this truck because its not meant for it, I'm just curious since I'm used to speedy rc cars.

Its not going to be a speed demon like race cars or fast bashers..Going with the 16T slowed it down a bit over what a 20T would've been.

Only way to get more speed with the 2s is gearing up but you really want the trade off of control over speed..Im gearing down even more to take away speed...trail trucks aren't supposed to be crazy fast.

2 options are a 3s battery which will add a bit of speed or go to a sensored brushless system..Mixing those 2 will give you amazing speed but not so great on the stock drive line

When you crawl you barely walk at all till you the truck gets ahead a little ways..Dont worry about the overall speed..Control is more important and you should have good wheel speed to get you up some hills like it is...Way more than you would've had with a 35T on a 2s battery..And if you ran a 3s battery it would be what you have now speed wise with a 35T but faster with the 27T and a 3s..but again possible driveline reliability issue.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-29-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Something bizarre just happened with my car. I took it out in the rain again since there was now a big collection of water, so I decided to ford through it slowly, and it got through fine. Well as I was turning back around, I noticed that smoke started coming out the side of the car. Everything is waterproofed, but I still got worried, turned it off, and brought it in. Upon inspection, nothing looks burnt...I don't notice anything on the ESC, Motor, or servo. The weird part is, everything still works perfectly fine! I'm a little confused. Anyone ever have this happen before? It still smells like burnt electronics, but works fine...

Im not waterproof at all and run through some water just above the axles and haven't had any smoking issues at all...Is the burnt smell coming off the motor or off the esc?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Its not going to be a speed demon like race cars or fast bashers..Going with the 16T slowed it down a bit over what a 20T would've been.

Only way to get more speed with the 2s is gearing up but you really want the trade off of control over speed..Im gearing down even more to take away speed...trail trucks aren't supposed to be crazy fast.

2 options are a 3s battery which will add a bit of speed or go to a sensored brushless system..Mixing those 2 will give you amazing speed but not so great on the stock drive line

When you crawl you barely walk at all till you the truck gets ahead a little ways..Dont worry about the overall speed..Control is more important and you should have good wheel speed to get you up some hills like it is...Way more than you would've had with a 35T on a 2s battery..And if you ran a 3s battery it would be what you have now speed wise with a 35T but faster with the 27T and a 3s..but again possible driveline reliability issue.
Thanks! Yep I'm aware...I'm not looking for speed. I was just curious.

Quote:
Im not waterproof at all and run through some water just above the axles and haven't had any smoking issues at all...Is the burnt smell coming off the motor or off the esc?
Hmm thats odd. I think its coming more from the motor than the ESC. I'm going to go out and avoid as much water as possible and see what happens this time....I hope everything works okay. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I didn't properly "break in" the motor?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks! Yep I'm aware...I'm not looking for speed. I was just curious.

Hmm thats odd. I think its coming more from the motor than the ESC. I'm going to go out and avoid as much water as possible and see what happens this time....I hope everything works okay. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I didn't properly "break in" the motor?
You should able to go right from the get go with a brushed motor..Im not seeing how even if you didn't break it in it would start burning up..If it was hot for some reason I might could see where you had some steam coming off the motor but the burnt smell im not sure of..you can completely submerge a brushed motor and not burn it up...Check you don't have any frayed wires touching something metal and just drive it..If it does burn up you have a warranty with it im sure..First time ive heard of a HH motor with a problem on here..It can happen though to the best of them...

Check that your motor connections aren't touching the frame somehow where it gets soldered onto the terminals on the back of the motor..You can sometimes have it positioned where a terminal might hit someplace on the frame..theres 2 sets of holes to mount the motor with..you want the holes that bring the motor terminals farthest away from the frame.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You should able to go right from the get go with a brushed motor..Im not seeing how even if you didn't break it in it would start burning up..If it was hot for some reason I might could see where you had some steam coming off the motor but the burnt smell im not sure of..you can completely submerge a brushed motor and not burn it up...Check you don't have any frayed wires touching something metal and just drive it..If it does burn up you have a warranty with it im sure..First time ive heard of a HH motor with a problem on here..It can happen though to the best of them...

Check that your motor connections aren't touching the frame somehow where it gets soldered onto the terminals on the back of the motor..You can sometimes have it positioned where a terminal might hit someplace on the frame..theres 2 sets of holes to mount the motor with..you want the holes that bring the motor terminals farthest away from the frame.
Thanks! I'll check all that once its dried off. I used it again outside, and decided to take it through some water again, and its doing perfectly fine. I didn't notice any smoke, although it does still smell burned. Works like new though which is odd. I'll check what it was you said, and then get back with what I found. HH motors must be pretty robust!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #70

just have fun and remember if you crash it it isn't like crashing that ember 2
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
just have fun and remember if you crash it it isn't like crashing that ember 2
Yeah thats true for sure! The Ember 2 doesn't respond well to crashes.

I checked the motor, and it doesn't seem to be touching any metal anywhere...there also doesn't seem to be any frayed wires touching any metal. The one thing I did notice is that the ESC falls off. Whats the best way to get that mounted? Double sided tape isn't cutting it...
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks! I'll check all that once its dried off. I used it again outside, and decided to take it through some water again, and its doing perfectly fine. I didn't notice any smoke, although it does still smell burned. Works like new though which is odd. I'll check what it was you said, and then get back with what I found. HH motors must be pretty robust!
Some break brushes in while submerging them in a glass of water with low voltage..You can find that on youtube.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah thats true for sure! The Ember 2 doesn't respond well to crashes.

I checked the motor, and it doesn't seem to be touching any metal anywhere...there also doesn't seem to be any frayed wires touching any metal. The one thing I did notice is that the ESC falls off. Whats the best way to get that mounted? Double sided tape isn't cutting it...
Maybe waterproof double sided tape?..lol

might can try velcro
Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Some break brushes in while submerging them in a glass of water with low voltage..You can find that on youtube.
Yep I've searched that up before. Just odd since this is the first motor its happened to which still runs! Usually they just stop working after that.

Quote:
Maybe waterproof double sided tape?..lol

might can try velcro
Lol I wish they made some....or do they?

Velcro sounds like a good idea. I can give that a shot...sounds like it should work.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #75
RCC Addict

search "waterproof double sided tape" and see what comes up..lol

Velcro is probably cheaper..can get that at the dollar store more than likely...Iuse it to hold my batteries in..working good so far.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
search "waterproof double sided tape" and see what comes up..lol

Velcro is probably cheaper..can get that at the dollar store more than likely...Iuse it to hold my batteries in..working good so far.
Wow...it actually exists!

I'll probably use velcro as you said. Seems like a better solution. Time to tidy up some wires.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

I have my esc mounted to an aluminum plate mounted to a slider using this stuff, works great so far.

Parma PSE Pro Servo Tape 1"x36" Roll [PAR8044] | Radios & Accessories - A Main Hobbies
Airdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdet View Post
I have my esc mounted to an aluminum plate mounted to a slider using this stuff, works great so far.

Parma PSE Pro Servo Tape 1"x36" Roll [PAR8044] | Radios & Accessories - A Main Hobbies
Do you have a picture of your setup? It sounds a lot better than what axial says out of the manual.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #79
Rock Stacker

Hope this works, first time trying to post pics

Airdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdet View Post
Hope this works, first time trying to post pics

Yep, it worked! Looks good! Seems like it stays in place a lot better than the stock location.

Axial SCX10 build - My first kit. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
Badger's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 kit build badger Axial SCX-10 122 05-01-2014 01:51 PM
Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit Newb build. syko_less Axial SCX-10 8 04-28-2014 03:15 PM
Detailed build of Axial Honcho SCX10 Kit - aimed at the person new to RC rc-Bitz Axial SCX-10 0 05-20-2011 04:42 PM
my axial scx10 honcho kit build 4goodbuys2 Axial SCX-10 3 04-04-2010 12:36 PM