Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 build - My first kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #81
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Axial SCX10 build - My first kit.

Ya I used the tape on the esc. The zip tie is just to hold the extra esc wire and the capacitor in place.
Airdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdet View Post
Ya I used the tape on the esc. The zip tie is just to hold the extra esc wire and the capacitor in place.
Ah okay I see. Its not mounted to the nerf bar (I think its called) though is it?
electricrc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #83
Rock Stacker

The screws go thru the plate into and thru the slider mounts and I put a nut on the bottom of the screw. Then taped the esc to the plate.
Airdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdet View Post
The screws go thru the plate into and thru the slider mounts and I put a nut on the bottom of the screw. Then taped the esc to the plate.
Oh okay thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #85
RCC Addict

I would look into more options before mounting the esc on the skid...I know its waterproof but its also prone to getting wet or submerged a lot easier than having it mounted above the chassis..A simple styrene plate will give you a solid smooth surface to mount the esc on across the top of the frame rail in front or back...Where it mounts stock you cant use a very tall piece of tape as you wont be able to remove the receiver box top if you did so..I do use a much larger piece as I don't plan to open the top of the box very often..I don't run through water either however where it gets it wet up high so im not having an issue with regular 3m tape.

I would leave the sliders available for better space such as the lowest center of gravity you can have by mounting batteries there instead...Just a thought.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
I would look into more options before mounting the esc on the skid...I know its waterproof but its also prone to getting wet or submerged a lot easier than having it mounted above the chassis..A simple styrene plate will give you a solid smooth surface to mount the esc on across the top of the frame rail in front or back...Where it mounts stock you cant use a very tall piece of tape as you wont be able to remove the receiver box top if you did so..I do use a much larger piece as I don't plan to open the top of the box very often..I don't run through water either however where it gets it wet up high so im not having an issue with regular 3m tape.

I would leave the sliders available for better space such as the lowest center of gravity you can have by mounting batteries there instead...Just a thought.
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking of just keeping it up above the chassis. It is waterproof, but would rather keep it above the chassis even then. I don't plan on opening the receiver box much either. The velcro has been working well so far though.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking of just keeping it up above the chassis. It is waterproof, but would rather keep it above the chassis even then. I don't plan on opening the receiver box much either. The velcro has been working well so far though.
Awesome
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

I think the motors dead on my SCX10...when I move the throttle stick, there is no response. At first it was intermittent. The light on the ESC still goes on, so I know the ESC is fine. Also, the servo works fine. Well this just sucks...I guess I'll take the 20T dynamite motor out of my circuit (which is for sale, so I'd drop the price and let everyone know) for now then...:( I really want to run in this snow so....
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

And the problem was from the motor. It runs now! I think I'll be sending in the holmes hobbies motor for warranty...there was a black dust around the outside of the motor! This is not what I expected from an expensive motor....slightly disappointed.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #90

If your going to run brushed motors you really should knoiw how to take them apart and clean them. They are super easy to work on and if you run them in any water or snow they need to be taken apart and cleaned right after or the insides and bearings will just rust. Also the brushes will need to be replaced when they get worn down or you will ruin the comms. I use a cobra lathe and there is an awesome deal on one at rctech right now Cobra Pro Comm Lathe - R/C Tech Forums

Also they have a great write up at holmes hobbies website about how to take care of the motors. 540 Brushed Motor Care, Installation, and Troubleshoot | The Search for Power

Last edited by daltrey; 01-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.
daltrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltrey View Post
If your going to run brushed motors you really should knoiw how to take them apart and clean them. They are super easy to work on and if you run them in any water or snow they need to be taken apart and cleaned right after or the insides and bearings will just rust. Also the brushes will need to be replaced when they get worn down or you will ruin the comms. I use a cobra lathe and there is an awesome deal on one at rctech right now Cobra Pro Comm Lathe - R/C Tech Forums

Also they have a great write up at holmes hobbies website about how to take care of the motors. 540 Brushed Motor Care, Installation, and Troubleshoot | The Search for Power
Thanks! I actually have read up on that before, and knew about it, but its disappointing that this motor firstly smoked on me on the first run, and that secondly it stopped working completely after not even 4 runs. I've had non rebuildable motors last me longer....MUCH longer than this one.

I'm gonna go and file for some warranty...
Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Thanks! I actually have read up on that before, and knew about it, but its disappointing that this motor firstly smoked on me on the first run, and that secondly it stopped working completely after not even 4 runs. I've had non rebuildable motors last me longer....MUCH longer than this one.

I'm gonna go and file for some warranty...

Yeah, I had to get a brxl warrantied and I had it back the next week. Anytime you change the gearing it's also a good idea to use a temp gun on the motor the first few minutes to be certain the temps don't go over 160. I use one of these TowerHobbies.com | Duratrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge

If I know I'm going to be running in water or mudd I just stick in a stock axial 27t. You can find them on ebay for about $10 and I just throw them in the sink and run water through it when I get done and blow it out with the air compressor.
daltrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltrey View Post
Yeah, I had to get a brxl warrantied and I had it back the next week. Anytime you change the gearing it's also a good idea to use a temp gun on the motor the first few minutes to be certain the temps don't go over 160. I use one of these TowerHobbies.com | Duratrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge

If I know I'm going to be running in water or mudd I just stick in a stock axial 27t. You can find them on ebay for about $10 and I just throw them in the sink and run water through it when I get done and blow it out with the air compressor.
Oh okay thanks! That sounds like a good idea. I forgot about the temp part... But the stock axial motor idea isn't too bad. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

Not too thrilled with Holmes Hobbies support. No replies to my two emails....

Might be my first and last order with them unfortunately.

Axial SCX10 build - My first kit. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
Badger's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 kit build badger Axial SCX-10 122 05-01-2014 01:51 PM
Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit Newb build. syko_less Axial SCX-10 8 04-28-2014 03:15 PM
Detailed build of Axial Honcho SCX10 Kit - aimed at the person new to RC rc-Bitz Axial SCX-10 0 05-20-2011 04:42 PM
my axial scx10 honcho kit build 4goodbuys2 Axial SCX-10 3 04-04-2010 12:36 PM