Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #1181
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
FYI: The Traxxas Jato 56t spur DOES rub the gear cover. If going that route go for the 54t.
Good to know! Thanks for the update.
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1182
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
Sorry, worded that badly.

I really want the low down control of the 35T lathe. If using a brushless setup with the same kV will give me the same control at low speed it is fine. If it gives me more top speed too then that is not a problem. As I said in the first post any increase in top speed is not a concern. I use a stick radio so I have good control over throttle and a bit more speed will not matter.

So if I want the same low down control with the same gearing (84/15) as the old 35T then what should I get?

I can change the gearing later for more speed or more torque. Will have to change to 32p anyway so it's not set in stone.

Braking the drive train is to be expected with big power. But if you drive smart you can get along quite well.
To compare a 35T brushed motor and running a 4-pole brushless on 4s is a little wild and IMO 2 opposite ends of the spectrum here. If you want the same control then stick with brushed. If you are set on running a brushless system on 4s then get a low kv motor, keep a close watch on temperatures, gear it accordingly, and stock up on drive line parts or build it bullet-proof because nothing is going to stop that motor from spooling up. It's crawlability will be what it is.

1,800 X 14.8 = 26,640
2,300 X 11.1 = 25,530
3,300 X 7.4 = 24,420

So, as far as the numbers go, running the 1800kv on 4s is hotter than running a 2300kv on 3s which is hotter than running a 3300kv Pro4 on 2s...Just to put things into perspective. I would, however, like to think an 1800kv ROC on 4s will atleast be more amp-efficient for crawling than a 3300kv Pro4 on 2s.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #1183
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would, however, like to think an 1800kv ROC on 4s will atleast be more amp-efficient for crawling than a 3300kv Pro4 on 2s.
I agree with this. The 1800 would be better for crawling and would run cooler given similar gearing from the other motors you compared.
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #1184
Quarry Creeper

Hi again Harley!
Just about to install my new HH crawl master pro 13t in my wraith, I am running an integy 35t now with 14/88 on 3s and am mostly fine with this set up, however would like some more wheel speed that's why I got a crawl master... I was wondering whether a 16/88 on 3s would work fine with the crawl master 13t and specially if I want good crawling performance.... What do you think? ( sure I can gear down but I am ruining RRP 88t steel gear spur and RRP suggests using hard steel pinion , the smallest I could find is the 16t, if I have to gear it down any further I must use Alu pinion and dunno whether it would work fine with the steel gear spur).

Thanks a lot!

- slim -
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #1185
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfire View Post
Hi again Harley!
Just about to install my new HH crawl master pro 13t in my wraith, I am running an integy 35t now with 14/88 on 3s and am mostly fine with this set up, however would like some more wheel speed that's why I got a crawl master... I was wondering whether a 16/88 on 3s would work fine with the crawl master 13t and specially if I want good crawling performance.... What do you think? ( sure I can gear down but I am ruining RRP 88t steel gear spur and RRP suggests using hard steel pinion , the smallest I could find is the 16t, if I have to gear it down any further I must use Alu pinion and dunno whether it would work fine with the steel gear spur).

Thanks a lot!

- slim -
There are steel pinions smaller than 16T from RRP, they just aren't hardened. And my honest opinion is that I'd rather use a softer pinion instead of something super hard, because wearing out a $5 pinion sounds a lot better than wearing out a $40 spur.

The 13T Crawlmaster is close to a traditional 3-slot 27T so even if you keep the same gearing you should pick up some wheelspeed. Most important will be to keep your eye on motor temps because a 13T Crawlmaster on 3s seems like a pretty hot brushed setup.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #1186
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
There are steel pinions smaller than 16T from RRP, they just aren't hardened. And my honest opinion is that I'd rather use a softer pinion instead of something super hard, because wearing out a $5 pinion sounds a lot better than wearing out a $40 spur.

The 13T Crawlmaster is close to a traditional 3-slot 27T so even if you keep the same gearing you should pick up some wheelspeed. Most important will be to keep your eye on motor temps because a 13T Crawlmaster on 3s seems like a pretty hot brushed setup.
Thanks!
You literarily confirmed what I had already thought about the whole thing, but was looking for some tips,

I will definitely start with the current gearing and monitor the temp. and see later..

Thanks that helped!

- Slim -
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #1187
Rock Crawler

Running the ROC 2300 on 3s and its both excellent for slow crawling and trail running!

56 spur 11t pinion - super smooth low speed crawling with good WS

Just threw on a 14t pinion and it almost has too much scoot but still very precise low speed crawling..not sure on temps because I only tested indoors for a short while.
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #1188
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster73 View Post
Running the ROC 2300 on 3s and its both excellent for slow crawling and trail running!

Just threw on a 14t pinion and it almost has too much scoot but still very precise low speed crawling..not sure on temps because I only tested indoors for a short while.
Awesome to know. The 1800 or 2300 ROC on 3s is currently at the top of my list. I just need to come up with the extra cash to cover the motor and drivetrain upgrades.

What ESC are you running?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #1189
Pebble Pounder

Got mine today. Pretty excited. Only thing I'm worried about is my run time going from brushed to this
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by joshjunior; 04-25-2013 at 04:47 PM.
joshjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #1190
Rock Crawler

Hopefully you plan on taking it easy? The gen2 has an 8.5T 2-pole limit while the regular RS has a 7.5T limit and is already a very iffy ESC for 4-pole motors unless you baby it. I'd have gone for atleast an RS Pro if not the RX8 or even a MMP.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #1191
Pebble Pounder

Crap didn't even realize that. Smh..I feel sick lol..guess I'll put it up for sale in classifieds fml
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by joshjunior; 04-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.
joshjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #1192
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Awesome to know. The 1800 or 2300 ROC on 3s is currently at the top of my list. I just need to come up with the extra cash to cover the motor and drivetrain upgrades.

What ESC are you running?

MMP.....works without any problems.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #1193
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

That's what I wanted to hear!
I'm going to go for the 1800kV one. With 4S it'll have a bit more speed but should be smooth for crawling.

I already have RR internals in the tranny. I might go for an alloy case later but first I'll see how the plastic one holds up.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #1194
Rock Crawler

4s With the 1800 is going to be brutal.....you will be able to pull your house
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #1195

Like your new avatar!
As a 1:1 guy I was in the pits near start / finish that Friday night at KOH in a sponsor spot and didn't understand why there were about 50 or so people at start/finish that late at night when Chip crossed, then I heard his story. Live life!
Awesome! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #1196
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
4s With the 1800 is going to be brutal.....you will be able to pull your house
Bwa ha ha. Ha ha. HA HA HAA!!!

Wonder what gives up the ghost first.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #1197

Curious about using the traxxas velineon brushless set up. I am only asking because I have two of these laying around. I use it for trails and hill climbing. Like stock piles at construction sites and such
Dstjohn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #1198
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstjohn83 View Post
Curious about using the traxxas velineon brushless set up. I am only asking because I have two of these laying around. I use it for trails and hill climbing. Like stock piles at construction sites and such
I ran it, not a suitable system for the Wraith IMO. Some people have ran them but I didn't find anything good about it for trail use.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #1199

I figured as much. Jus needed to hear it from someone else
Dstjohn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #1200
Rock Crawler

I went with a Redline Gen2 17.5T. I'm going to be running 3s, starting with the stock spur and a 15 tooth pinion. I'm hoping 48P gears and the stock tranny are enough to handle short bursts to hop up rock ledges, but I'm not feeling too optimistic.

@Harley, I assume your gearing suggestions are pretty loose and should be ultimately determined on a case by case basis, but were they posted with 2s or 3s in mind?