Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Project Oilcanman's Wraith....by ZippoMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #21

Default Re: Project Oilcanman's Wraith....by ZippoMan

Cool wraith's
grizzleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Looks great!Awesome paint job for a first timer. ive never painted an rc body..just model car stuff I wish i had the guts to cut up the rear of my frame. Is there a link to how todo "fastback" mod? I think thats what its called. Thanks!
Trentenowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentenowns View Post
Looks great!Awesome paint job for a first timer. ive never painted an rc body..just model car stuff I wish i had the guts to cut up the rear of my frame. Is there a link to how todo "fastback" mod? I think thats what its called. Thanks!
Just plan it a little and start cutting, cut less than you think until you have the re-attachment points all decided on. Here's how I did the fastback mod, but there's more than one way: Natedog's Wraith Kit Build now with Cage Mods

Oilcanman, I'm really liking how that copper color and the body compliment your Wraith and the orange XR wheels! I'm running the same wheels and picked up a spare set for my spare tires lol.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation Re: Project Oilcanman's Wraith....by ZippoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentenowns View Post

Thanks for the comment!

As for link to the fastback mod I am not sure but there are many guys who have done it. I was a little scared at first but thought if I messed it up you can buy the new side frame parts tree for pretty cheap online. I just went at it with my dremel. I used the cut-off wheel to get rid of the parts that I thought should so then I used a rough sand drum attachment to sand right flush with the rest of the frame. After that I used some finer sand paper to smooth it out a little more. Finally instead of painting it I did what someone else suggested and used oil on the areas to kind of blend away the bright plastic. I used the shock oil and it looks not bad! Good enough considering I don't expect the rig to ever look this good again..LOL

Sorry for the long read and maybe it wasn't much help...
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

This is the final look for my step father's Wraith/Rubi!! He is a member on this forum but scared to post due to no previous posts!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Oilcanman, I'm really liking how that copper color and the body compliment your Wraith and the orange XR wheels! I'm running the same wheels and picked up a spare set for my spare tires lol.
Thanks for the nice comments! I really like the XR wheels but have slight rub issues even with custom wide front axle hexes. The steering link and drag link rod ends are so fat!! Oh well it is a slight rub and I am sure will wear itself in or out whatever you wanna call it...lol

Oilcanman is my step father and I built this for him...mine is mostly Carter fab aluminum panels and black stock hood.

I bought XR rims for mine but liked the six shooter and thicker bead-lock rings better. I don't have any orange on mine anyway...lol
Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkfan223 View Post
very very nice wraith dude! super clean i love that color of orange! great work looks like that beast would work killer also love that jeep panels on it throws it off and makes it stands out
Thanks!! I was trying for the retro 80's Jeep CJ colors. I just wish a guy could get Jeep decals!! It looks so plain! I am diggin' the look too. It turned out way better than I could ever have imagined for my first crack at this. Did I say crack....lol...this hobby is like that!! Addictive for sure!!

Oh and JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket so how fitting!! LOL
Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Nicely done, Clay, on both of them. Mine looks somewhat similar to yours with the alum body parts, but the Rubi looks great. Your stepdad should be very happy with his. And tell him not to be shy on posting.

Now, when is initiation day?
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Initiation day will be soon I hope. Thanks for the comments too!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #30

Nice looking wraith

Is that a project box from radio shack in the back, if so what size is it ?

I like what you did with the ca hinges for your hood, are they functional so you can get to your battery ?

Thanks Scott
baddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Scott, the box is not a radio shack one! It is from a Canadian company and much bigger than those radio shack ones! This was a grey box and I painted it with Krylon fusion paint. Size is 112mm x 62mm x 31mm. Part Number 53-535H-0. Bought at RTS in Kamloops, BC Canada. The hinges are great on the hood. I used Shoe Goo to hold them on and I had to put a custom electrical tape tab on the battery to get it out of the tight spot! It fits but is finicky. Overall I am very happy and so is Oilcanman with how it turned out. I am doing more mods soon. I am trying to get a VP CMS and panhard kit next! It will look cooler with the servo up off the axle.

Last edited by ZippoMan; 10-19-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #32

Absolutely a great rig, good job

Quick question

What shocks are you using and specs?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Dorilfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Shocks are 3Racing! Part No. AX10-12 Not sure about specs. Look here http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=3191

Buy them here and more specs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Racing-AX10...item1e6ee454b5

124mm length shocks

Last edited by ZippoMan; 10-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Luv what you did with the hood...Paint looks great too...! You should shoot Kurt @ Dynamic Concepts a link to this page. Hed say Thumbs up baby..
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanthony View Post
Luv what you did with the hood...Paint looks great too...! You should shoot Kurt @ Dynamic Concepts a link to this page. Hed say Thumbs up baby..
Thanks for the compliment and I think Kurt may have seen this but I could be wrong. See post #6.

Last edited by ZippoMan; 10-21-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project Oilcanman's Wraith....by ZippoMan Updated LED lighting!

I bought an Axial simple LED controller and had to add them to my step dads Rubi-Wraith. What do you think? I had to do some mods under the hood and still have to hide the controller but I think it looks much more JEEP like now. The big light buckets fit perfect for headlights!! I had to shoe goo and silicone them in but man they look cool! Rears look sweet too, I never knew the Wraith kits came with round LED buckets!! NICE!!

Last edited by ZippoMan; 11-03-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

The wraith looks great, love that color and nice detail work.

I've been reading up on the wraith for a couple week and selling some stuff on e-bay to get a project of my own startred. This one and a few others on here have made up my mind that its time to start ordering parts.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Wow - this thing is so clean it's disgusting. Love the color combo and stance. That electronics box looks way too factory!

I'm a real freak about my trucks while I'm building them. Going to be starting my Wraith this weekend now that all my parts are in.

Question - are those the orange knuckles and chubs from Vanquish? If so, are those the orange beadlock rings from Axial? Those are the same wheels I have and I'm debating whether to get the orange beadlocks from Axial to match my orange Vanquish Stage I Kit. Worried they won't match.

Thanks!

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Really love the color combination. I have an Exo Terra but am seriously considering adding a wraith, this one makes me think I am in the right path.
tcm glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm glx View Post
Really love the color combination. I have an Exo Terra but am seriously considering adding a wraith, this one makes me think I am in the right path.
Just got mine two weeks ago and all the parts lined up. You can't go wrong with the Wraith!

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote

Project Oilcanman's Wraith....by ZippoMan - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deven's Wraith Project devenaberger Axial Wraith 3 10-20-2012 09:43 PM