Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
Maybe later today, right now I've been busy reading other wrexo builds before I decide to really put this IFS kit on. I probably will but it will be a little different than the rest. I want the finished product to be bulletproof but also made with off the shelf parts so I can actually fix something at the track if it breaks, you know? The exo front end is pretty weak and prone to breakage when used on the car it was designed for.
Top of the morning to you
Bronco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Maybe later today, right now I've been busy reading other wrexo builds before I decide to really put this IFS kit on. I probably will but it will be a little different than the rest. I want the finished product to be bulletproof but also made with off the shelf parts so I can actually fix something at the track if it breaks, you know? The exo front end is pretty weak and prone to breakage when used on the car it was designed for.
yep, you're right.

I have my idea if I ever go for a IFS I may considering a Slash front end, I have seen some custom builds here on 2.2 section that have a slash front end and run awesome, parts are everywhere and not much modifications needed to work with the wraith skid plate
Steelfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Who can tell me what's the advantage of running the IFS over a straight axel system?
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickabob View Post
Who can tell me what's the advantage of running the IFS over a straight axel system?
In a go fast rig, the geometry of the 4 link suspension usually fights itself to compress. As the rig is moving forward and hits a bump, the axle must also move forward as it cycles through the arc of suspension travel. The rear axle, unlike the front, moves the opposite direction as that axle hits the same bump. An A arm suspension moves in the same direction as the force being applied to it without having to fight the force until the cycle passes center.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
In a go fast rig, the geometry of the 4 link suspension usually fights itself to compress. As the rig is moving forward and hits a bump, the axle must also move forward as it cycles through the arc of suspension travel. The rear axle, unlike the front, moves the opposite direction as that axle hits the same bump. An A arm suspension moves in the same direction as the force being applied to it without having to fight the force until the cycle passes center.
Thanks for the explaintion
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelfish View Post
yep, you're right.

I have my idea if I ever go for a IFS I may considering a Slash front end, I have seen some custom builds here on 2.2 section that have a slash front end and run awesome, parts are everywhere and not much modifications needed to work with the wraith skid plate
I was trying to keep that to myself because I thought I was original, but I was thinking of using Slash 4x4 parts. The only reason I'm hesitant about the exo is I don't like how you have to modify the knuckle carriers to fit big MIP's, which is what I would want to do. The slash has a different design so the MIP's fit.

But the slash arms might be a little short.

I just need to get my hands on some parts and start trying stuff out.

Last edited by snicklefritz; 10-10-2013 at 12:28 PM.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickabob View Post
I'm not as eloquent as RPD, but yeah, the IFS rigs I saw were dialed in nice and didn't bounce around as much as the solid front Wraiths. I couldn't keep up with them.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Here's some video of "The Doc" Mike Duncan and his beast at the U4RC race last Saturday. It looks kinda like a bigger Twin Hammers, pretty sweet. It jumps well, is fine in the rocks. Just needs better turning. I was reading his thread in the 2.2 section and it sounds like SC wheels are the key to getting a tight turn radius. Mmmmm. What to do? What to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgLM...embedded#t=351

I guess I'll stop being a little girl and put my freakin exo front end on already and then drive it. The cool part about the Blue Monkey kit is you don't have to destroy anything to put it together. Pretty much a bolt on.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Here's some video of "The Doc" Mike Duncan and his beast at the U4RC race last Saturday. It looks kinda like a bigger Twin Hammers, pretty sweet. It jumps well, is fine in the rocks. Just needs better turning. I was reading his thread in the 2.2 section and it sounds like SC wheels are the key to getting a tight turn radius. Mmmmm. What to do? What to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgLM...embedded#t=351

I guess I'll stop being a little girl and put my freakin exo front end on already and then drive it. The cool part about the Blue Monkey kit is you don't have to destroy anything to put it together. Pretty much a bolt on.
Where's all the fun, if you aren't destroying everything.?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Original would be revo parts and custom arms tied into a tube frame.
Now my gears are turning. Could use the rocker arms or build whatever you wanted. Actually think the rocker arms wouldn't be needed. Since your building your own arms and all
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

I have an obvious idea for better turning. 4WS. I will have a front axle with STRC gear laying around after I go IFS, right? I should only need it at one or two spots on this particular track, but it seems like a good idea. Any thoughts?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have an obvious idea for better turning. 4WS. I will have a front axle with STRC gear laying around after I go IFS, right? I should only need it at one or two spots on this particular track, but it seems like a good idea. Any thoughts?
Thoughts?...yea I think you are out of control
Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

If you can transition between 2ws/4ws while driving it should work fine for certain sections, and not be so squirrelly at speed.

But if its just 4ws, I wouldn't do it, too much of a handful around the entire course.

The SC wheels are an easy mod, just cut the tires obviously, and depending on which rim, trim the foam to fit the 3.0 portion. I used slw hubs to match width front/rear on exo rear rims
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, Bobby! "Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind!?"

Erin, what I was thinking was transitioning using the 3rd channel, so I'd be using 2ws for most of the course and hit 4ws for the tight 180 at the bottom of the hill, the railroad tie step -up, and maybe at the top of the hill,too, if needed. Those are slow sections anyway so I think I could do 4ws smoothly.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

go back to bed snickle, all this brainstorming is wearning me out.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks, Bobby! "Or am I so sane that I just blew your mind!?"

Erin, what I was thinking was transitioning using the 3rd channel, so I'd be using 2ws for most of the course and hit 4ws for the tight 180 at the bottom of the hill, the railroad tie step -up, and maybe at the top of the hill,too, if needed. Those are slow sections anyway so I think I could do 4ws smoothly.

That will def work, just build that rear axle tough, as the steering will take a good beating, but probably no worse then a front setup
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

I say go for it. If it works you just solved the EXO steering problem. If not, lock it back out.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Ok, you have had all day to get this prototype done. Let's see it.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Hey Snickle, I a few DIG's here you can play with
Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

You want him to play with your what?

Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations "Top Shelf" Ultra 4 Nova's Ark 1.9 Scale Rigs 100 06-01-2018 10:31 PM
Gear Head RC "Trail Torch" Ultra Bright LED Light Bar Gear Head RC Vendors Electronics 0 02-04-2012 11:14 AM
Dinky R/C's Ultra 4400, "The Muddauber" muddauber7 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 09-03-2011 05:49 AM