Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough

Hey Snickle, why the slash front IFS system over the exo system?
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickabob View Post
Hey Snickle, why the slash front IFS system over the exo system?
The slash was just a thought but I ended up using the exo. I was thinking about using the slash 4x4 because I didn't like how you have to remove part of the exo caster block (aka knuckle carrier) to fit MIP's to the hubs. It's probably not a big deal but that is my hang up. The slash has a different style of caster block and MIP makes a heavy duty CVD for it.
Well, I went with some $20 CVD's off ebay. I've seen some good reviews for these when used in this application so I went for it. They're also lighter than the MIP's which is good.

Ick you were asking about lockers for the IFS so I'll bring it up here so others can chime in. I've seen the heavy duty set ups like Harley is doing. I won't go that route unless I have to, but I was also thinking of JB Weld like you said. Erin mentioned using silly putty and I will try that first. It should lock up nicely but have a little give to prevent snapping parts. If I need less locking for better turning I can always remove it and go to grease for "limited slip".

Rainbow should be a good place to do some testing, don't you think? Maybe Sunday if all goes well.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

I run open diff in my TH with 500,000 weight oil...if you want to call it that, it's closer to silly putty. I have plenty if you want to try that first.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
I run open diff in my TH with 500,000 weight oil...if you want to call it that, it's closer to silly putty. I have plenty if you want to try that first.

where did you locate the 500k? I have heard there is 1mil wt also.....somewhere
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
where did you locate the 500k? I have heard there is 1mil wt also.....somewhere
Someone posted a link to it so I went to my LHS and they had one bottle. not cheap at $19. Mine is Kyosho. The 1,000,000 wt is Tamiya.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...-1000000-54419
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Wow, they are proud of both brands lol.

Interesting tamiya says its the same as a spool, thats a pretty bold statement for a jar of thick snot.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

What are your thoughts on that sweet tekin motor?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Sweet is the word. And I've only scratched the surface. I'm gonna gear for a little more speed next time. I had so much torque to spare last time. When I got in a tough spot in the boulders I could goose it and it would just about jump out.
And the weather will be nice and cool in November so motor temps shouldn't be an issue. I'm glad I didn't skimp on the motor/esc.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #109
Rock Crawler

On my front diff in my wrexo I took all the lube out put the gears back in place and took the two smalll gears from the rears diff there the same gears as what's in the front and put them in so I have a gear on all 4 sides and I filled it up with some diff lube I had from a kit just because...but when u screw it back together u have a locked diff its work so far and hasn't caused me any problems but its a simple free fix if u took apart a whole exo for a $3 locker if u already had the other parts and just needed the gears
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
Sweet is the word. And I've only scratched the surface. I'm gonna gear for a little more speed next time. I had so much torque to spare last time. When I got in a tough spot in the boulders I could goose it and it would just about jump out.
And the weather will be nice and cool in November so motor temps shouldn't be an issue. I'm glad I didn't skimp on the motor/esc.
Ordering the tekin motor and rx8 esc
Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Nice! Are you getting the 3500 or 3000? On their site they only rate the 3500 for 2s. I've got the 3500 and I haven't tried it on 3s but I may get crazy one day and go for it.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nice! Are you getting the 3500 or 3000? On their site they only rate the 3500 for 2s. I've got the 3500 and I haven't tried it on 3s but I may get crazy one day and go for it.
See that where I'm not sure, jerry runs a 4600kv and says it great, I don't know if I need all that power. 2 cell's on my other cars is faster then my skill level. What do you think?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Do you want to drive mine before you order? I think I'll have it put together by late tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #114
Jerry's RC Garage

With 4600kv you have to gear down
jerry2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Alright, she's a wrexo. I was able to plug everything in and drive it around the living room. I can tell I'm gonna need a stronger rear servo to keep up with the front. I played a little with the controller and it wasn't too hard to program for 4 wheel steer. That was actually the easiest part of my day. I think 4ws was a good option for improving the steering due to the exo's limitations. The plan is to tweak it a little tomorrow and try it on the track Sunday . . .
Old 10-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Alright, she's a wrexo. I was able to plug everything in and drive it around the living room. I can tell I'm gonna need a stronger rear servo to keep up with the front. I played a little with the controller and it wasn't too hard to program for 4 wheel steer. That was actually the easiest part of my day. I think 4ws was a good option for improving the steering due to the exo's limitations. The plan is to tweak it a little tomorrow and try it on the track Sunday . . .
We're going to need photos now
Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

I run the pro4 HD 3500kv on 3s geared 13/54 in a 12lb wraith. Never gets above 130
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

I got the electronics zip tied in and took it for a little driveway test run. And I like it! The turning is sharp, of course, but also pretty stable. I think I can work with this. I've got it set up for full time 4ws right now and that's how I'll test it tomorrow at the track. I'm guessing if I set up the steering mix right I can run 4ws full time and not have to worry about switching back and forth during a race. I can see trying to switch from 2ws to 4ws and back going wrong and getting all turned around. I'll try to keep it simple.

full right

I'll need a stronger rear servo and a longer motor sensor cable. Maybe softer springs for these proline shocks. I better put in another order.

I'll get some video tomorrow at the track. Stay tuned.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

In the 4ws pic, is that full throw on front?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Yes, sadly. That's the point where the knuckle hits the caster block.

Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations "Top Shelf" Ultra 4 Nova's Ark 1.9 Scale Rigs 100 06-01-2018 10:31 PM
Gear Head RC "Trail Torch" Ultra Bright LED Light Bar Gear Head RC Vendors Electronics 0 02-04-2012 11:14 AM
Dinky R/C's Ultra 4400, "The Muddauber" muddauber7 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 09-03-2011 05:49 AM