Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough

Could you have a toggle switch to switch from 2ws 4ws or crab maybe rows only.

This would make it very drive able in and around obstacle's that a front wheel steer rig will flounder about on.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, my controller has the ability and I'll use it for fun crawling for sure. But for the track I'd just get myself in trouble so I want to stick with just enough full time 4ws to make up for the steering ability I lost in the IFS conversion. That's the plan at this point.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Cool
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

Loving the second picture. Looks mean. Have fun testing tomorrow. I will just stay here tied to the truck with a 3 foot rope...but you go and have a good time.
Bronco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

Is the knuckle hitting on both sides equally? Im pretty sure my exo with mips has more throw then that. Ill check tonite after I get it back together.

I like the rear having just a little steer, not to much. Be more controllable at speed.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Here it is
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #127
I wanna be Dave

I would limit the rear just a bit. Can you move the drag link to the closest hole, or change to a servo horn with a super short throw? Then do what Erin said and it will get around all the turns just fine. you may not even need the rear steer with throttle steering in the tight turns.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

Hey schnitzel, it does look like erins turns sharper. I checked out harleys thread on his conversion, and at one point he said he had to bend some aluminum parts to align things like shocks, which I seem to remember allowed him to change his steering slightly. Maybe that would help the front of yours (not that you need it with 4ws).
Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Bobby View Post
Hey schnitzel, it does look like erins turns sharper. I checked out harleys thread on his conversion, and at one point he said he had to bend some aluminum parts to align things like shocks, which I seem to remember allowed him to change his steering slightly. Maybe that would help the front of yours (not that you need it with 4ws).
The BMRC kit also needs the bell cranks pushed forward about a 1/2" to get correct geometry. Theres a pic in the wrexo thread of that as well.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
The BMRC kit also needs the bell cranks pushed forward about a 1/2" to get correct geometry. Theres a pic in the wrexo thread of that as well.
Yep that is also what I remember Harley talking about
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #131
Quarry Creeper

Right on moving the bell crank forward. It looks like Erin did that cuz the links are more parallel. Thus more turning. I hope I don't have to drill more holes in the top plate cuz they're already close to the edge. I'm trying not to lose my head. Uh huh huh huh. Huh.
Can't wait to drive this tomorrow. Gonna limit the rear steer a little from that pic and go from there.

Edit. Looked at Erin's pic again. That's an Exo chassis. I knew that.

Last edited by snicklefritz; 10-19-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #132
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Loving the second picture. Looks mean. Have fun testing tomorrow. I will just stay here tied to the truck with a 3 foot rope...but you go and have a good time.
Dude. Come out. I'll pick you up at 1:00.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #133
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
I would limit the rear just a bit. Can you move the drag link to the closest hole, or change to a servo horn with a super short throw? Then do what Erin said and it will get around all the turns just fine. you may not even need the rear steer with throttle steering in the tight turns.
I agree with limiting the steer. I had fun with the 4ws in my driveway but it's way more than I'll need. I'm going minimal. It's a simple setting on the controller. Once I figure out what works it's set it and forget it!

I know I'll need SOME rear assist after watching Duncan's video again. Look at the 3 point turns and how much he flipped over. He wouldn't have flipped as much if better steering allowed him to nail the approaches. As fast as he was, he would be untouchable without the 3 point turns and rollovers. That's what I'm going for!

Last edited by snicklefritz; 10-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #134
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Is the knuckle hitting on both sides equally? Im pretty sure my exo with mips has more throw then that. Ill check tonite after I get it back together.

I like the rear having just a little steer, not to much. Be more controllable at speed.
I'm using vanquish knuckles and strc carriers. That first pic shows the inside tire limited by the knuckle hitting the carrier. The outside tire would be sharper with parallel links ( forward bell cranks ) but I don't know what could be done about the knuckle on the inside. When I move the bell crank forward there will be two more conflicts that will limit steering. 4ws is actually the easy way. It was pretty darn controllable at full throttle and low and high traction. I was surprised.

Quote:
The shocks have spacers off the oddly angled towers. I don't know why they made them that way but I don't want to mangle them just yet.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #135
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
I agree with limiting the steer. I had fun with the 4ws in my driveway but it's way more than I'll need. I'm going minimal. It's a simple setting on the controller. Once I figure out what works it's set it and forget it!

I know I'll need SOME rear assist after watching Duncan's video again. Look at the 3 point turns and how much he flipped over. He wouldn't have flipped as much if better steering allowed him to nail the approaches. As fast as he was, he would be untouchable without the 3 point turns and rollovers. That's what I'm going for!
That's the prob!!! steering sucks!!! Personally I don't know if I would run rear steer full time. Its going to suck when your going fast and just try to correct when you get a little out of shape and that rear try's to steer. Its going to try to make you flip. As you've seen I've gone back to a straight axle and am going to try some different set ups on suspension. I'm going to still work on the IFS steering parts so I hope I can get it to work right. Most of the people don't race so the IFS works for them(at least on a tight track).....I'm really going to watch your rear steer .... Not that I'm going to do it though.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #136
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
Ur gonna love the cvds they've held up to what I've thrown at them...I'm running pro4 on 3s
What cvds are you running?? I haven't seen any cvd other than MIP's that hold up to a locked front diff, or are you open?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
That's the prob!!! steering sucks!!! Personally I don't know if I would run rear steer full time. Its going to suck when your going fast and just try to correct when you get a little out of shape and that rear try's to steer. Its going to try to make you flip. As you've seen I've gone back to a straight axle and am going to try some different set ups on suspension. I'm going to still work on the IFS steering parts so I hope I can get it to work right. Most of the people don't race so the IFS works for them(at least on a tight track).....I'm really going to watch your rear steer .... Not that I'm going to do it though.
I was really impressed by how your beast soaked up every bump and looked so "real" in the handling on the track. Mine looked silly bouncing around by comparison. I'm watching your thread too to see if you can get a solid axle as dialed in as your IFS. I'm just glad I won this BMRC kit because I'm no fabricator and I'm trying to do the best I can with off the shelf parts!

Quote:
What cvds are you running?? I haven't seen any cvd other than MIP's that hold up to a locked front diff, or are you open?
I've got the same cvd's as scottanthony. Steel, dogbone at the diff, and $20 on eBay. I'm hoping they hold up. They're definitely beefier than stock Exo but way lighter than MIPs. I'm a pretty conservative driver so it seems like a good setup for me.

I'm "open" with plumber's putty in the diff. That should be plenty of lockedness unless they really fawk with the boulders.
Don't get any ideas, Jerry.

Last edited by snicklefritz; 10-20-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #138
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
I was really impressed by how your beast soaked up every bump and looked so "real" in the handling on the track. Mine looked silly bouncing around by comparison. I'm watching your thread too to see if you can get a solid axle as dialed in as your IFS. I'm just glad I won this BMRC kit because I'm no fabricator and I'm trying to do the best I can with off the shelf parts!

I've got the same cvd's as scottanthony. Steel, dogbone at the diff, and $20 on eBay. I'm hoping they hold up. They're definitely beefier than stock Exo but way lighter than MIPs. I'm a pretty conservative driver so it seems like a good setup for me.

I'm "open" with plumber's putty in the diff. That should be plenty of lockedness unless they really fawk with the boulders.
Don't get any ideas, Jerry.
I know it won't work as good as the IFS, but I'm going to try the trade off for the turns. Open will be a big difference on turning... I know Boltz has broke a few. He was looking at going to mips I think. Here was looking my rig over and asking questions.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #139
Quarry Creeper

My steering and turns got a little better or yet improved as I added more castor by flipping the front suspension bracket right side up and replacing the front rear suspension bracket for the rear bracket inserts angling the suspension arms more to get a positive camber on the inner tire on steer-in. Oh and I moved the steering rack 1/2" forward.
slip408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #140
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know it won't work as good as the IFS, but I'm going to try the trade off for the turns. Open will be a big difference on turning... I know Boltz has broke a few. He was looking at going to mips I think. Here was looking my rig over and asking questions.
He and I talked about mips at nats also. Im going to try the mips first on a track here in town with some tight 180s, if it suck Im going to the blitz cvds with 500k diff fluid.
That and the sc wheels should allow it to steer enough, since it wont have the scrub you were fighting at 13"

Apparently "Ultra" wasn't enough - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations "Top Shelf" Ultra 4 Nova's Ark 1.9 Scale Rigs 100 06-01-2018 10:31 PM
Gear Head RC "Trail Torch" Ultra Bright LED Light Bar Gear Head RC Vendors Electronics 0 02-04-2012 11:14 AM
Dinky R/C's Ultra 4400, "The Muddauber" muddauber7 2.2 Scale Rigs 23 09-03-2011 05:49 AM