Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Paystin's Chaotic "Switch"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: Paystin's Chaotic "Switch"

After 10 packs or so, here's my thoughts on the smaller steering tie-rod.
If you are looking to save 17 grams of weight from your truck then it is a worth while updgrade (if the Chaotic guys even decide to sell it). I did notice that in certain binds, the tie-rod would flex instead of force the tires out of the stuck situation. This might not be a bad thing in that it saves a bit of wear and tear on the servo instead of forcing all of that torque to work it out. In normal driving conditions, it worked perfectly fine with no difference in steering output that I could tell. I still want to do some more testing with it but I will definately leave it on for now.

My link locations have stayed the same since regionals-
Front uppers- 2nd hole from the bottom at the chassis and middle hole on the VP mount at the axle.
Rear uppers- 2nd hole from the top at the chassis and top hole on the VP mount at the axle.

Onto the changes I've made.
Shocks- SCX aluminum with 40 wt oil all around. Was running 45 wt all around.
Front springs- Silver Losi Mini T springs (rear).
Rear springs- Silver Losi MRC springs.

I replaced all of the screws on the rear axle and tranny case with aluminum except for the under mount screws that hold the tranny case in place. I also replaced a few on the front axle and the chassis already has aluminum screws in it.

Next I cut the front axle VP weights with a band saw to lose some of the "up high" weight on them. It's not pretty but it is affective. I feel like I'm getting a little less tippy at the top when trying to reach for a ledge or even just a regular verticle climb. I am only running the cut weight you see in the following pics. No additional rings added.

Final RTR weight is 4.5 lbs. If Nationals were tomorrow, I wouldn't change a thing on what the current setup is. I ran it at my three local spots today and was very happy with how it handled everything even with the reduced weight in the front and rear axles.

I have to say that I don't think the lightweight trend is necessarly a good thing for everyone. It makes the truck a lot more responsive to steering and throttle inputs but I can't say that it's "easier" to drive. If you can find a setup that works for you then don't worry about chasing a few extra grams here and there. Those super talented guys (no, I'm not including myself in that group) can drive anything well. A little extra weight masks some of the driving and tuning errors sometimes.

Last edited by paystin; 08-06-2012 at 09:43 PM.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

howcome middle hole on front axle mount, have you tried upper or lower hole,ect,just curious ,cuz we have very alike cars..
THE ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ROOKIE View Post
howcome middle hole on front axle mount, have you tried upper or lower hole,ect,just curious ,cuz we have very alike cars..
All the cool kids are doing it! I have tried both the upper and lower holes and have found the middle to be the best (or middle ground).

It tends to keep the front end down on vertical climbs and allows for movement when articulating around rocks. That's the best way I can explain it.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

nice havnt tried it yet ,car has been original set up since put together ,have enough stick time now with the car and want to try a few new setups
Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
All the cool kids are doing it! I have tried both the upper and lower holes and have found the middle to be the best (or middle ground).

It tends to keep the front end down on vertical climbs and allows for movement when articulating around rocks. That's the best way I can explain it.

Have to agree!!! One of the first things I tried and haven't touched it since. The middle just seem to be the balance of all that is good!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #106
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Looky good Chistophturd.

So...how much oil do you have in yer shocks now?

Whenever yer ready...redemption awates on the big boy rock. We gotta get some video shot anyways so might as well make some plans there skippy. Ha! Skippy...just like the peanut butter yer puppy's breath smells like.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

I WANA PLAY
Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #108
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Looky good Chistophturd.

So...how much oil do you have in yer shocks now?

Whenever yer ready...redemption awates on the big boy rock. We gotta get some video shot anyways so might as well make some plans there skippy. Ha! Skippy...just like the peanut butter yer puppy's breath smells like.

J.D.

The only good thing about that day was your wife's corn chowder..........and her cooking wasn't bad either.

Quote:
I WANA PLAY
Oh you don't have the "skillz" to keep up with J.D on a no gate, no timer practice day. He's a legend in the Tehachape crawling circles.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #109
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
I WANA PLAY
Me thinks we'll be hitting the SoCal high desert...likely out of Apple Valley or Cougar Buttes. Thats the big BIG boy rock & it just keeps goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & goin & just when you think you've made it to the end...it goes some more. Friggen hotter than dog potty out there tho so I think my giraffe banana hammock, flip flops & newspaper hat will be in order

J.D.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #110
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
The only good thing about that day was your wife's corn chowder..........and her cooking wasn't bad either.

Oh you don't have the "skillz" to keep up with J.D on a no gate, no timer practice day. He's a legend in the Tehachape crawling circles.
Yup...you didn't have the skills either big fella. SOMEBODY'S gotta be a legend out here. Sorry you're not the king of the OC pea gravel playground rock since you have Brad & Brandon & Tyler & Norris & that 1 kid with the Redcat to contend with. I have some VERY interesting video that may find its way onto yer thread if you're not careful.

As far as my wifes corn chowder...she figured she'd make you something that you could eat thru the face mask of yer Sponge Bob stickered hockey helmet. And no...I still haven't seen your baseball.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like a road trip chicken dumplin....
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #112
RCC Addict

Since the truck was working really well, I decided to change a few things for the new comp season.

First off- Aluminum SCX shocks instead of delrin. Just felt like they control the rig a bit better I guess. Also changed the shock oil to 45 wt. all around and put Losi MRC (green) springs in the rear.

Next I switched the rear upper VP link mount around so it extends the links out over the axle a bit more. This seems to have calmed down the rear end a bit and reduces some wheel hop on steep climbs. The Chaotic guys are bending a new set of rear upper links that are a little longer so I can mount them back into the inner set of holes at the chassis instead of the outer holes.

I saw someone else mount the steering tie rod on the front of the axle instead of underneath so I thought I'd try it. My home courses are a mix of concrete and rock so there's a lot of "hangers" that can catch the underneath tie rod. So far I haven't noticed any negative affects of it mounted in front and have actually been able to clear a few of the hangers that got me before.

Finally I "switched" the upper cab around basically because I wanted to look at something different. It still looks backwards to me but maybe it helps it perform better? Doubt it but for now it stays that way.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #113
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Ah...no he dit-ent. You joined the back asswards team??? SO disappointed in you.

Rig looked good at our last outing...well...as good as it COULD on that poopy rock. The FOTA steering setup looked like it worked without any ill effects.

As always brutha...it was good getting out on the rocks wich cha.

J.D.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Not to doubt the "need" For new rear uppers.. could a guy, like me, just use a longer rod end? Like a jato rod end... I like the idea an sounds like a improvement(can't believe JD isn't doin it!).. but just got my chaotic links an I'm not buying new ones.. lol..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Not to doubt the "need" For new rear uppers.. could a guy, like me, just use a longer rod end? Like a jato rod end... I like the idea an sounds like a improvement(can't believe JD isn't doin it!).. but just got my chaotic links an I'm not buying new ones.. lol..
J.D isn't doing it cause I didn't tell him to do it yet.

You can use a longer rod end (jato) but they are prone to breakage much more easily than a revo end. You could probably make the ones you have work by unscrewing the revo ends out some and losing some rear motor clearance.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Hahaha, better let him know! It seems like a great idea..
Ok I got ya on the jato ends.. when I got my vp rear link mount, it has an aluminum screw loc-tited in. I think he said with red at that.. so I'll see how that moves before I worry too much bout it.. lol
Thanks for the info
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Cab looks right now. And looky the flames are even going the right way! See you next month buddy.
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

I'm a fan of the cab that direction(after all... I did originally design it that way )

Interesting idea on the steering. I look forward to hearing if it has any ill effects.
I haven't had any issues with my 1/8" tierod catching anything or bowing for that matter.

With rigs being as light as they are these days, you could easily get away with a jato rod end IMO. I only break them on supers and ultra4 rigs.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #119
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
Cab looks right now. And looky the flames are even going the right way! See you next month buddy.
I knew it would make you happy, that's why I do anything in life Jimbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
I'm a fan of the cab that direction(after all... I did originally design it that way )

Interesting idea on the steering. I look forward to hearing if it has any ill effects.
I haven't had any issues with my 1/8" tierod catching anything or bowing for that matter.

With rigs being as light as they are these days, you could easily get away with a jato rod end IMO. I only break them on supers and ultra4 rigs.
That's because you drive like my 7 year old girl. Nice and slow, no risk and bumping into every little thing along the way. I have to find a picture to send you to answer that weirdness I got this morning. So wrong!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #120
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
I knew it would make you happy, that's why I do anything in life Jimbo.
Yup...keep the orange guy happy or he'll shoot spray tanner in yer eye balls.

Quote:
That's because you drive like my 7 year old girl. Nice and slow, no risk and bumping into every little thing along the way. I have to find a picture to send you to answer that weirdness I got this morning. So wrong!
Yeah man...we have some kinda sponsor. 6:00am & I wake up to...well...I don't wanna talk about it. I'm sad again. And I threw up in my mouth a little.

What's your current weight Chris? I know ya planned on staying around the same but wonderin if ya shed a little more anywhere. Rig looked good last weekend.

Paystin's Chaotic "Switch" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chaotic Ultra4 buggy "Bad Action III" Chaotic Crawlers 2.2 Scale Rigs 113 05-23-2012 09:41 AM
Paystin's Chaotic Crawlers XR10 paystin Axial XR10 65 04-17-2012 07:58 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM
Chaotic Crawlers: "Tripple B" Berg Ball Buster Chaotic Crawlers Team Losi Comp Crawler 44 06-09-2009 10:47 AM