Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: JCAD Karnage V7M - XR - Better late than never...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default JCAD Karnage V7M - XR - Better late than never...

Alright.. A little late start, but as the title says; better late than never...

I used to comp back in 2009 with a bodiless AX10 (the original Karnage), and lost interest in comp crawlers when everyone was building $2k MOA rigs. It became something where you have to pay to play, and I wasn't that serious with it.

Fast forward to a couple months ago:

JCAD - Karnage Resurrection - Bringing back 2009

The local crawl shop runs a bi-weekly comp, and I wanted to get back into the scene in a low-key environment. Immediately after building the Karnage Resurrection, I started looking at picking up a set of MOA axles, and narrowed it down to either the new Bully 2's (which are the third generation... confusing, I know) or the XR. I got lucky and found a nice set of axles on the forum and had them sent my way:

Came pretty well spec'd out with some nice VP stuff and upgraded gears. Great price and they aren't abused, so I am happy with them.

Started getting them prepped and mounted a set of Brood Intensity 45T's with 13T pinions:

Getting the wheelbase set:

The Karnage Resurrection chassis was really the 5th version of the Karnage chassis, but it wasn't going to work for the MOA axles, so version 6 was designed and made, and tested for one comp, but some weaknesses were immediately found and version 7 was drawn up (hence the V7M in the title - Version 7 - MOA.)

Spacers/braces installed:

Lower links done:

Rear upper links and plastic SCX10 shocks mounted:

Front upper links, axial Icon aluminum shocks, and my custom battery plate mounted:

Brass knuckles back on, and some body panels installed:

The panels are actually IKEA dralla flexible cutting boards. Matched the red on the side panels pretty well and they should be pretty durable when the rig is upside down. Easy to cut, tough and flexible.

Still playing a little with link geometry. Will probably shorten the front upper links to clock the axle down a little, and I may end up with slightly bent lowers, and maybe getting the skid just a little lower... but notice the white rear/black front links. This way, if I ever tear this down, I know instantly which end the links go back on.

I got some narrowed and shaved Sedonas from the classified section as well, and mounted them to a set of my prototype Lightweight Beadlocks to test them out:

I've got some smaller wiring and connectors coming this week, so I will have another update then. I've got a pair of Mamba Micro Pro's "smashed" together running on my Hacked GT3B, and will be running a small 3S lipo and Savox 1230 Servo on a BEC.

Feel free to post up any comments, suggestions or questions.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: JCAD Karnage V7M - XR - Better late than never...

Looks good man. You'll want to shoot to get your servo parallel as far as it comes to the clocking of the axle.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Looks good man.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
You'll want to shoot to get your servo parallel as far as it comes to the clocking of the axle.
That's the plan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Still playing a little with link geometry. Will probably shorten the front upper links to clock the axle down a little
I will probably do that when I get the wiring done.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Just because I was curious to know, I weighed the rig... 4 lbs. 9 oz. Not a super lightweight but not a porker either.
I could easily lose some weight and get this thing under 4 lbs, but that would likely require getting rig of the VP bling, shaving the brass knuckle weights, getting titanium links, and converting to aluminum hardware throughout... Maybe down the road, but for now, I'll run it like this and see what happens.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

why the choice of the shock absorbers in fulldrop?
murali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've always loved droop set-up, and I just had these shocks lying around. I am considering a mix of droop and mini-t springs though...
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I dig the chassis, not those jcad side panels tho. Think i'd have dyed those instead of trying to match'em. Otherwise, actually nice to se a rig that won't float away when hit with a breeze. Oughta be a performer.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
I dig the chassis, not those jcad side panels tho. Think i'd have dyed those instead of trying to match'em. Otherwise, actually nice to se a rig that won't float away when hit with a breeze. Oughta be a performer.
I gotta rep the brand. If this chassis sees production I would offer customized side panels, or basic ones that you can add your own flair to. The hood and roof would also likely just be some basic lexan panels on the production run. (And spacers would be lighter aluminum ones...)

I didn't want to wait for my wiring to get here to fix the clock on the front axle, and it's much better than what is shown in the pics above. My wiring stuff should be here Thursday, and I have a comp Friday so I will probably have some updates this weekend.

JCAD Karnage V7M - XR - Better late than never... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JCAD Karnage Jr. - MRC monkeyracer Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 67 04-24-2015 11:35 PM
JCAD - Axial SCX10 JK G6 - Test Vehicle monkeyracer Axial SCX-10 24 01-08-2015 11:59 AM
JCAD - Karnage Resurrection - Bringing back 2009 monkeyracer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 01-18-2014 11:21 PM
My JCAD MLST2-LE SS-EXT H3T monkeyracer Non Crawler RC's 0 01-31-2010 04:53 PM
My new build - Karnage Bodiless Comp Crawler monkeyracer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 40 11-27-2009 06:06 AM