Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #221
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

I did yellow in the front. It's the way to go for me. I don't like a lot of preload and the yellow allowed me to get the ride height I want w/o hardly any preload. I also don't like swapping out pistons and oil. It's not so bad with the smaller RCs but with the YXL it's messy as hell.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #222
Rock Stacker

Tonight's upgrades. Hot Racing C hubs knuckles kingpins and front 140mm limiting straps

Sent from a galaxy far far away
gregm412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #223
Rock Stacker

This completes my build every part Hot Racing makes installed on my rig except A arms they are RPM. This think is a solid tank now. A little heavy but still fast and a lot better now.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #224
I wanna be Dave

The HR 140mm limit straps stretch a lot, they barely limit the travel maybe 2mm but they can stretch pass that if you pulled on them. They do look good though.

Greg, what will you spend your money on now? Haha.. dhawk aluminum bulk head, vanquish aluminum rear axle? Your runnin out of parts to buy. But it does look good.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #225
Rock Stacker

Thanks. Stock axle and bulk head are holding up just fine for me as of right now.
I'm thinking about getting an FPV racing Drone next. Any thoughts anyone else try these?

Old 12-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #226
Rock Stacker

I'm big into FPV quads actually. I highly recommend Armattan quads. The F1-4b is an awesome mini racer and if you want something a tad larger go for a F1-5 or F1-6. Armattan frames are lifetime warranty and they are awesome frames!

http://www.armattanquads.com/armattan-f1/

Their customer service is the best I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tekyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #227
Rock Stacker

I put 500k traxxas diff fluid in the rear diff, 200k team associated diff fluid in the front and I have to say the 200k seems stickier and thicker. I hope the 500k does the job. I also put 50wt in the front stock shocks and 35wt in the rear stock shocks. I need to charge up to run it. Damping on compression and rebound is definitely slower then before. It will be interesting to see how it handles. I'll report back hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I also ordered green and yellow axial springs in case I think I need them. My hitec power supply was acting up so I had to send it in for warrant repair so I'm on a single channel 5A max charger. It takes time to charge two 7600mah batteries. Lol!

I just want to say thank you for everyone's feedback here. You are all very helpful.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #228
Rock Stacker

Default Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

I ran the truck. My power supply was on my doorstep when I returned from dinner :-)
I can definitely tell the diff oil is there! I can power on oversteer on command which is cool. I think the shock oil might be too stiff for what I'm after though. The thing is stiff! This is all with stock rtr springs. I can't believe what 20wt extra oil does, wow. I might drop them 10wt each and throw the yellow and green springs in. The thing dances all around my lawn even. It's not soaking up nearly as much as it used to. I still want it to soak up bumps but I don't want it to bottom out so much on jumps. Maybe what I'm after is impossible. Should I be using different Pistons with the heavier weight?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by Tekyguy; 12-09-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #229
I wanna be Dave

I put the yellow springs up front and green in rear, definitely helped out but wasnt what I was expecting, I thought they would have been stiffer. Need to take it out for a spin and maybe mess with shock oil.

Teky, remember rear has 6 hole pistons and front is 4 so heavier weight up front will make it super slow. Im running 40 rear and 35 front. What your tryin to achieve is what everyone is after, but its never ending. Heavier springs need heavier oil so its not bouncy which is good for jumping but for handling rough terrain a lighter spring and oil (like stock rtr in rear) is needed. But as you can see, two different setups so all we can do is fine a happy medium between both.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #230
Rock Stacker

That makes sense now. I'll probably drop back to 30 in the front and maybe down to 20 in the rear and try the yellow and green springs.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #231
I wanna be Dave

If your going to put yellow and green on, that wont work. 20wt with green in rear is going to be bouncy, 6 hole pistons and rear end is light. Keep your rear at 35wt with green and drop front to 40wt with yellow for a good starting point. Or try your front at 50wt with yellow and see if you like it, if not drop it down to 40wt.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #232
Rock Stacker

Ok I'll just throw the springs on then and start with the 35wt that's in the rear now and the 50wt that's in the front. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #233
Rock Stacker

Springs are on. The handling is much better now! Rebound in the front is slower then the rear but not by much. If anything I might go down to 40wt in the front or 35wt and be done hopefully.

Anyone have any stock RTR wheels/tires? I have a cracked wheel :-)

I was looking to see if there is anything out there that bolts right up to this rig and it seems the options are slim.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #234
Pebble Pounder

The PIT BULL- ROCK BEAST XL 3.8 SCALE RC TIRES are now in stock. They are $57.99 a pair. I just ordered a set and they be's on their way. Ordering them as a second set of tires and just need to choose some wheels. I have a set of 2.2 Rock Beast II and their great. So, they look the part and I'm just hoping they perform as well as their smaller counterpart. We will see!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  52.9 KB
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #235
Rock Stacker

Wow those are some nice looking tires.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #236
Rock Crawler

Those tires on those rid look really tough. Keep us all informed please!!
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #237
RCC Addict

I just put in an order for mine, it's been a while since I touched the XL and I'd like to try these out on the Summit as well.

$115 ($130 with shipping) is fawkin expensive for tires, BUT All of Pro-Line's 3.8" stuff is too short for my tastes and I'm also expecting PB's compound on these to be great. They also look incredibly cool for bonus points.

I'm hoping these will get me out for the first time this winter with both trucks, I'll update the thread with some pics and my impressions.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #238
Rock Crawler

Any updates on the pit bulls?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #239
RCC Addict

I got them in but unfortunately it's been too cold to do anything outside, yesterday was down to 10°F. I'll go toss them on the XL and take some pictures of the looks at least. They look great on both the Summit and YXL though, I'm really digging the looks with black wheels.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #240
Rock Crawler

@Sneetches....PICS!!!!

Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket springs question/thread Troublekitty Axial Wraith 6 11-10-2014 09:20 PM
yeti 1 week review/ build thread db450 Axial Yeti 0 09-10-2014 12:49 AM
Badger's Axial Yeti Rock Racer disassembly thread badger Axial Yeti 193 09-02-2014 11:25 AM
YETI Sightings Thread Ty@Tekin Axial Yeti 1 08-04-2014 03:58 PM