Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #261
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

You might need to reset the esc to the radio look in your esc instructions mine did it a few times.It should give you the steps to do it.
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #262

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SirCheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #263
RCC Addict

Got the Pitbulls glued up and hoping this weekend is nice. I'm a bit excited to check a potentially new spot out, it's an old slate dump that's 1 minute away from a parking lot and positioned on a walking trail. By my estimates it's 40 ft high so I'm hoping it actually works out because I've been wanting a better hill climb spot since the state killed the asphalt pile.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #264
Rock Stacker

I'd love to see some footage of that :-)
Tekyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #265
RCC Addict

I'd like to make a couple more vids as well. Today is 50-55°F and beautiful out, some the RBs are coming out to play Just waiting on some 2S packs to charge at the moment.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

Pitbull rock beast xl 3.8 review

Has anyone tried these beadlocks before?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #267
RCC Addict

Well I had some fun for 2 runs but then of course I miscalculated a jump and hit a backhoe stabilizer leg coming right out of a jump, so this happened:

Is that the XL's fault? Of course not, I actually cringed since I figured 20 mph into solid steel would have done a bit more, but I feel I got lucky. That's the 2nd shock shaft I've broken though.

Before that, I let it rip on the frozen pool and that was a lot of fun:

After that I did a couple comparisons with the RBs and Krawlers just to see what was what, however keep in mind the Krawlers have been on the rig since I first got it, so the comparison isn't the best as it's tires with several months vs new out-of-box ones:

Foams: Pitbull stock foams are much stiffer than the Krawler foams, like the difference between some CI stiff vs soft foams. The Krawlers roll over a lot on turns, the Pitbulls don't roll nearly as much.
Compund: Hard to judge again since my Krawlers have several months of wear and the RBs are new, but the RBs still come our of the bag feeling good. Should get progressively better over time knowing Pitbull.

Here's a picture showing the roll. I would get it to about 15 mph and just cut the wheel, which resulted in traction rolling on both, but the PBs were a bit more forgiving and the truck didn't roll over as fast as it did with the Krawlers:

Also, I noticed now that 2 of the 4 screws holding the top of the rollcage on have broken. I can unscrew one of the broken screws but the other unfortunately will need dremeled out or something. If you're gonna be landing on the cage a lot then I'd recommend finding some beefier screws, the stock coarse thread ones are obviously not strong enough for sustained roll overs and then it's worse if one breaks inside the hole.

Last edited by Sneetches; 01-30-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #268
Rock Stacker

Nice dude. The PB look like they balloon less also. Still having a hard time justifying the cost.
Tekyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #269
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekyguy View Post
Nice dude. The PB look like they balloon less also. Still having a hard time justifying the cost.
Yep forgot to mention they definitely balloon less than the Krawlers.

The cost is the only problem IMO. I do realize it's a special tire for what it is but if the cost was below $50, they'd be easier to justify. I also can't compare to the Falkens yet since I've never run those.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:07 AM   #270
Quarry Creeper

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a set of the RB's but what's been holding me up is whether or not the CI foams are worth the extra cost. I'd really like to keep the ballooning to an absolute minimum and I haven't heard of any feedback yet with that combo.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #271
RCC Addict

I tapped my crawlers and falcons and HUGE DIFFERENCE !!! I flipped the tires inside out and installed them back on the rims to keep their form wile tapping. Black gorilla tape and a clean surface and your good!!! I used a light bulb to release the factory wheel glue ..Works great..
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #272
Quarry Creeper

Good idea on taping the foams. I hadn't thought of that, still thinking I'll go the CI foams route.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Good idea on taping the foams. I hadn't thought of that, still thinking I'll go the CI foams route.
I didn't tape the foams I taped the inner perimeter of the tire ..Basically a belted tire now!!! Way beyond my expiations !!!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #274
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I didn't tape the foams I taped the inner perimeter of the tire ..Basically a belted tire now!!! Way beyond my expiations !!!
Ah okay, I misunderstood. I hadn't thought of that either also, haha. That I won't mind trying.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:31 PM   #275
RCC Addict

I don't think I'll tape tires any more and instead try the kevlar thread/fishing line route. I had taped my Stampede tires and despite cleaning with alcohol and all, 3/4 eventually let go and now there's several grams of duct tape inside them.

I shot some video today, but half way through the first packs on the YXL, I lost my front wheels and was left with RWD. Haven't checked it yet but it may be my excuse for a teardown with new bearings all around.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #276
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I don't think I'll tape tires any more and instead try the kevlar thread/fishing line route. I had taped my Stampede tires and despite cleaning with alcohol and all, 3/4 eventually let go and now there's several grams of duct tape inside them.

I shot some video today, but half way through the first packs on the YXL, I lost my front wheels and was left with RWD. Haven't checked it yet but it may be my excuse for a teardown with new bearings all around.
30 + runs so far so good.. but im interested in the fishing line idea... If you wanna go into more depth im all ears...I was thinking of folding the tire inside out remount on the rim and super gluing the line in place "16 dots of glue per cord" line.. is that on the same lines you were speaking of ?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #277
RCC Addict

I can't seem to find it atm but I've seen it on URC and elsewhere where the guys running 6S Truggies were using fishing-line or O-Rings to "belt" the tires. It worked pretty nice but I know the O-rings eventually break and I can't find the particular fishing line used right this moment.

Otherwise, I only got a minute of footage before my front diff exploded, so I dubbed the video a "teaser" since I had planned to shoot at least 2 packs worth instead of a half...The video isn't my best but I wanted to put one out there in case my subs thought I stopped or something, my last upload was 6 months ago.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #278
I wanna be Dave

What shocks, springs and oil wt are you running front/rear?

You said the pitbulls dont balloon as much but how much of a difference is it? A lot or just a little? Would it need tape or CI foams to cut out the ballooning altogether?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #279
Rock Crawler

Duct tape I can see letting go. Gorilla Tape, however, I would be shocked if it let go. I have my front and rears and taped and the stupid stock rims let go before that tape has.

I just ordered a Bomber today. Poor YTL will have to wait for Pit Bulls.

Nice vid Sneetches. I always like your videos.

I second 84yoda on the details of your socks. I think their Losi XXL shocks (from past posts), but I don't know the details. Please let us know the details (spring, oil, pistons). My YXL still seems to bouncing around in the rear. I thought I had it under control but after watching some video the GF took it still looks bad.

Last edited by Deckard; 02-02-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #280
I wanna be Dave

Ya my rear end is out of control too, I'm about to put it back to stock springs and oil. I remember seeing a post by brandon from axial on the 1/10th scale yeti saying the lower they went on springs and oil, the better it handled. Makes sense.

Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket springs question/thread Troublekitty Axial Wraith 6 11-10-2014 09:20 PM
yeti 1 week review/ build thread db450 Axial Yeti 0 09-10-2014 12:49 AM
Badger's Axial Yeti Rock Racer disassembly thread badger Axial Yeti 193 09-02-2014 11:25 AM
YETI Sightings Thread Ty@Tekin Axial Yeti 1 08-04-2014 03:58 PM