Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #341
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Hey BHB, the AX31087 are for sure the updated versions? Pictures show old version and says there 8x20x3.
gezz Yota you've found the only tag & receipt that I can't find forchristsakes lol... I'll dig it up ,but I must say they might be the best Axial upgrade going lol ... They really are the cats meow !!!

BTW did you call me a B ig H uge B itch Pro Mod re~named me GEAR MAN but I think its gonna be The XLX GUY after a finish this nightmare:twis ted::

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 02-24-2016 at 12:25 AM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #342
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Hey BHB, the AX31087 are for sure the updated versions? Pictures show old version and says there 8x20x3.
SOB I just found it ...And yep your right on both accounts... same old picture and description ..BUT MY NEW ONES FROM HOBBYSHIPER ARE 8X20X (7mm.) !! Never will be nervous of stripping or worried if the HR cap is gonna bottom out before it holds the rim of a different breed ..
I just wish they were glow in the dark and nylon locked !!! even tho I find them everytime a SCREW SHAFT explodes !!!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:47 AM   #343
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I've came up with the solution they will I'm sure I've sent them my vids and a wordy rundown... Scott (Axial) has been great to deal with!!
THE PINION WILL BE THE LAST OF YOUR WORRIES AFTER MY MOD AMIGO
My next mod is a dust/water shield for the front pinion housing !!
haha I'll be sure to do it down the road. My YXL still needs electronics and batteries. Could have had it done by now, but made the decision to get a baller charger setup first. Still not sure if I made the right choice, with my current charger it would take forever, but now I'll have a charger that will do it at warp speed- yet no batteries worthy of it. lol

Until then, my only option is to hang around these threads desperately- to find little mods I can do while waiting it out.

You modders here sure think of some genius ways to fix things. AND doing it without super expensive tools too.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #344
RCC Addict

Unfortunately my screw shafts aren't coming in despite being ordered 3 days ago and shipping from 150 miles away

I will steal one from somewhere else just to get the rig running and see how it does. If the XL conquers the hill climbs this weekend, I'll look into some new panels for it and go with the "Hill Killer" theme .
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #345
RCC Addict

Well the YXL did absolutely fantastic today and after 3 packs of hill climbs and thrashing, I broke the aluminum Hitec servo horn, which is understandable since it's like 2mm thick and mainly meant for planes only.

Otherwise, I was loving the hill climbs with the YXL, which is by far my favorite truck for this sort of thing. The Summit simply doesn't have the wheelbase to manage even a half of what the YXL can. Here's some shots and I might see what footage I have to use as well for later.

Here was one of the warmup hills. Keep in mind pictures simply don't do them justice, it's pretty hard to capture the sheer angle of the next hill pictured. This one was certainly not large but it was hard to hit because the run-up was filled with rocks that bounced the truck a bit. Overall, I made it after several attempts, and had some bad rollovers in between. Probably about 40 ft high with a 50° grade

This next hill was the largest of the day, again the sheer angle of this thing couldn't be captured on my phone and unfortunately I thought I had taken videos of my attempts, but I didn't. I'll be back there for sure though. I'd estimate an easy 80 ft tall and it goes from a 50° grade to a sharp 60° right there near the end. I could simply not make this hill because of the huge lip near the end but some dirt bike riders came and spectated, and then a couple of them went ripping up and made it look easy. My little helper there was clearing the big rocks off and he's about halfway up in the picture.

Overall, the YXL survived some cringe worthy falls, tumbles, and rolls and killed some of the smaller hills with ease. The servo horn broke while driving on the road ironically, but obviously it was weakened from the dozens of rolls I had today. I will be back to these spots for sure for continued testing and hopefully more video of the action...
Old 02-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #346
Quarry Creeper

That is a Serious hill climb!
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #347
RCC Addict

Some guys rolled up on their dirt bikes and started spectating. As soon as my truck rolled off the left side, the lead guy came right up and smoked it like nothing lol. I guess if you're on a 450 things might look a little different, but to my YXL that's certainly a god damned mountain. I wish I'd have gotten my attempts on film though, that just means I have to go back.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #348
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Some guys rolled up on their dirt bikes and started spectating. As soon as my truck rolled off the left side, the lead guy came right up and smoked it like nothing lol. I guess if you're on a 450 things might look a little different, but to my YXL that's certainly a god damned mountain. I wish I'd have gotten my attempts on film though, that just means I have to go back.
I'm looking forward to seeing this!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #349
RCC Addict

Well the video for today's run is finished up so I will upload it tomorrow. Like I said I wish I had filmed more, mostly of the big hill, but I was too intent on driving around and just finding the good spots for now. My cameraman actually did well enough for never doing this sort of thing, it was funny when he took over for a bit cause he realized how much harder it is to drive than it looks.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #350
RCC Addict

Vidya is up...I found out later that one of my wheel nuts had come loose and I slightly chewed up the inner hex on one of the wheels, all the others were fine though. I didn't loctite that nut apparently

Old 02-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #351
Rock Crawler

Cool video man. Tough hill. All those cartwheels look like my 480!!!
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #352
Quarry Creeper

Awesome video, that last hill looks massively Intense! I can't imagine being able to do half of what you accomplished on that hill climb with the RTR BFG's. I think you'd probably never get enough traction at the bottom of either hill to even give you a fighting chance. Great vid though, looking forward to seeing some attempts at that Last one!
Old 02-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #353

Wow that thing took a beating! Nice job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ajw068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #354
Quarry Creeper

Some gnarly tumbles sneetches. Nice vid
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #355
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, there'll be more to come for sure. Imagine those rolls down the small hill but twice the distance on the big one lol.

Well that was the maiden run in this new spot so I have plenty of experimentation that I want to try. First, I might try 5S just to give me that extra speed for the run-up on some of these climbs, no 6S because I tried that in my Kraton and it's too much power for me... That first small climb in the video was actually only hard because the area right in front has a bunch of rocks that are enough to throw the truck off, that second one was made a couple times because some quads had tidied up my ramp beforehand. Secondly, I could toss the BFGs on again and see what happens, but I just don't like the way they balloon. Lastly would be some suspension tuning, aka messing with the antisquat. I tried to read up last night but it all went over my head for now and suddenly you're neck deep in 4-link geometry and suspension engineering...
Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #356
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, FYI... Blue Monkey RC posted in the Bomber Thread that he may be looking into producing YXL trailing arms and/or link kits if he gets enough interest. Just saying...
Old 03-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #357
RCC Addict

So I had the YXL out again today for another round of hills, I actually got the big hill on film as well. It was only about 35°F so I only got around 10-12 mins per pair of packs, which was a PITA. Otherwise, I shot a lot of video and had a buddy driving his Slash 4x4 as well. I broke a shock shaft on the XXL shock but it had nothing to do with hill climbs / rollovers and everything to do with me hitting a tree head on while racing full speed down hill .

The Yeti Eyes really came in handy tonight. Great lights and even better looks .

Stand by for video soon...

Old 03-07-2016, 01:34 AM   #358
RCC Addict

I'm really wondering guys...so you've seen the terrain I've been driving on. The YXL has found a comfy new home of hill climbs and dirt bike trails that will only get more run time as the weather warms up. I start thinking about tires for said terrain, now of course I have nothing against the Pitbulls, they're a great tire and come with good foams and simply don't balloon like the stocks do, nor do they have any problems acting as an all terrain tire...

BUT!

I've been lurking around 5th scales for a bit and realized that with the HPI 24mm adapters drilled out, I could run 5th scale wheels and in turn run the Hostile knob tires.

Just something I've been thinking about recently...if those wheels/tires are 100g heavier or something per wheel then I would scrap the idea, but I bet that knob pattern would seriously rip even better on the hill climbs. Maybe I should just wait for the Kraken Vekta to come out and jump into 5th scales instead, but I'd have to sell off some trucks first to even make room for something that big next to the YXL. Unfortunately the only person to try this so far seems to have quit the YXL forum and RCC long ago, which is a shame, since he specifically said he was going to try this combo. I might just have to get some dimensions and weight first but I'd love to try this if it seems feasible enough.

Last edited by Sneetches; 03-08-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:06 AM   #359
Quarry Creeper

Well I can tell you this, the Hostile MX and MXT tires are hands down the best tires I've ever run off-road period. BUT, there's no way the YXL drivetrain will hold up to the abuse the added weight and torque these tires will put on them. As much as I'd love to say otherwise, I just can't see them being a realistic option. 1/5 scale Baja's and 5ive T's are in a class by themselves. Funny you mention the new Kraken Vekta 5 though, definitely a game changer for 5th scale... It would be nice though if a company like Hostile entered the "smaller" scale market because a tire like this would absolutely kill it!
Old 03-07-2016, 02:30 AM   #360
RCC Addict

I've been eyeballing those for a wile too! So sweet! I've been thinking about cutting the krawlers with a similar pattern add Kevlar fishing line and test them out..

Yeti XL Aftermarket Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket springs question/thread Troublekitty Axial Wraith 6 11-10-2014 09:20 PM
yeti 1 week review/ build thread db450 Axial Yeti 0 09-10-2014 12:49 AM
Badger's Axial Yeti Rock Racer disassembly thread badger Axial Yeti 193 09-02-2014 11:25 AM
YETI Sightings Thread Ty@Tekin Axial Yeti 1 08-04-2014 03:58 PM