Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: What Did You Do to Your Yeti XL Today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What Did You Do to Your Yeti XL Today?

Thanks! It was pretty easy. Got a 1/2" rod on Amazon, hacksaw to cut it to length, pliers and a vice to get the curve, and a drill press for the holes. I used socket head screws, so I drilled twice. First to fit the screw threw, then a wider bit just deep enough so I could sink the socket head all the way into the bumper. I wish I had a tube bender so I could make a more complex and interesting bumper, but I think it's ok.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #22

Finally got a new set of 3s packs, the HR alloy front bulkhead, new springs and sway bars.
RCWERKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Took mine out for the first time since winter. It ran beautifully for about 20 min, until I gave an extra push during top speed. Heard some cracking noise from the transmission, so I think I blew it. Haven't dared opening it up yet, but looking forward to fixing it.
SvdV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I would not be surprised to hear that a bearing embedded itself into the housing causing gears to misalign and eat themselves. Time for an aluminum housing that wont let the bearing do that.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 AM   #25

Just replaced a hex pin I lost at the end of this Bash. Which I also did a Backflip. Was not expecting that, but on 6s the XL is pure Awesome-ness.

https://youtu.be/xXDZmRvunmc
Old 03-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
I would not be surprised to hear that a bearing embedded itself into the housing causing gears to misalign and eat themselves. Time for an aluminum housing that wont let the bearing do that.
Hit the nail on the head. One bearing fused with the housing, blew up, and took a few teeth with it. The housing itself is remarkably intact. I might even be able to fix it, but won't. Going for the HR aluminum housing.

Wear on the slipper clutch is surprising too. After only I couple of runs it really took a beating.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

This happened to mine also. Barharbor Basher was the first to document this and has lost a couple housings and gears to the issue but has since developed a replacement shaft pin method that may fix the issue for stock housing users. He thinks that there is excessive play that allows the bearing to wear out and do this. I believe that the issue is from the bearing developing the ability to spin inside the recess over time and burning itself into the housing. If you feel the housing after a run it can get quite hot particularly where that bearing is. Anyhow, the aluminum housing should help keep the bearing in place and not allow itself to disintegrate into the housing. So far so good with mine but I haven't driven too much this winter.

Since your in there it's a good time to slap in the hot racing 2 speed as well, works great!
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
This happened to mine also. Barharbor Basher was the first to document this and has lost a couple housings and gears to the issue but has since developed a replacement shaft pin method that may fix the issue for stock housing users. He thinks that there is excessive play that allows the bearing to wear out and do this. I believe that the issue is from the bearing developing the ability to spin inside the recess over time and burning itself into the housing. If you feel the housing after a run it can get quite hot particularly where that bearing is. Anyhow, the aluminum housing should help keep the bearing in place and not allow itself to disintegrate into the housing. So far so good with mine but I haven't driven too much this winter.

Since your in there it's a good time to slap in the hot racing 2 speed as well, works great!
Yea that bearing that lies flat by the idler gear takes a beating. Wether from being too small or tons of Rpms. Could be a combination of both but all I know is I've blown two of them and it makes quite a mess. You can feel that back area of the center case is pretty warm and you know things are getting hot since it's plastic and there's no heat dissipation.

I've since changed to a boca ceramic in just that one and haven't had any issues and it's holding up. I figure the inside sees no dirt so it should last longer but we'll see. Been run many times on 6s since then. My gripe nowadays might seem minor compared to the "real" issues diffs, axles, useless slipper, etc but the cage
especially the rear are really wearing thin on me.

Waiting on the rear cage peice that holds the body as it tilts, broke that and the small holder with the two screws. Its 22 bux for just the little plastic that comes with half the cage and 13 for the other. I'm by no means a cheapskate, I've got tons of money in this thing but cmon this is reminding me of the hpi days of needing a tiny molded plastic peice only to have to buy a huge bag of extra parts!

I just need a refresher when I get like this to remind me how much fun this truck can be. The longer I don't run it the more I lose interest in it. Aside from a few issues my xmaxx's have been tanks in comparison.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Any more details on the replacement shaft pin fix? Sounds interesting.

After reading back on so many other posts about this specific bearing failing, it appears that replacing it with either a ceramic or other high quality bearing makes a huge difference. Maybe even enough to fix it for many more runs. Still, I decided to go all-in. Just ordered the complete aluminum transmission set from GPM consisting of 7 different parts, steel transmission gears, a set of bearings made to endure extreme rpm, and even fiber slipper pads.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #30

Just got these to try out on the XL.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #31

Finally got my bearings and did the 3 bearing mod to my front diff, all ready for the next 6s bash
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Received the parts to get my busted rear cage fixed woohoo. Also picked up the progressive rear springs from hotracing. Anyone have any experience with them that can chime in and which color they used. I just used the silver which I think is the lightest of the blue and blacks.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

All parts are in, and I was just working on replacing my transmission. What I found out is that GPM's transmission does not include a crucial part that HR's transmission does have. The middle gear is held in place by a separate element that screws into the inside of the transmission with three screws. It's the top-right part in this image.

My stock one is cracked, so I can't finish without another order... Everything else from GPM looks in order, and it has to be said it feels solid and precise. Just annoyed by this little thing.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvdV View Post
All parts are in, and I was just working on replacing my transmission. What I found out is that GPM's transmission does not include a crucial part that HR's transmission does have. The middle gear is held in place by a separate element that screws into the inside of the transmission with three screws. It's the top-right part in this image.

My stock one is cracked, so I can't finish without another order... Everything else from GPM looks in order, and it has to be said it feels solid and precise. Just annoyed by this little thing.
Contact RPM Racing. Or does that part just not exist for the GPM tranny case?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:10 AM   #35

Going to try these out. Rims are from eBay, tires are Mud Slingers. Unfortunately the wheels are not tightening the beadlock in place. They feel stripped already. I used a hand tool to screw them in place.

Does anyone have experience with them? These are not the Axial wheels. They are an off-brand.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWERKZ View Post
Contact RPM Racing. Or does that part just not exist for the GPM tranny case?

It just doesn't exist. I didn't pay enough attention when ordering the parts (or expected it to be a complete package, I guess).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Nothing. I haven't been able to go bashing in over a month with this weather. If it ain't all wet from rain already it rains on the weekends. It is Texas not Seattle.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I installed a Hot Racing aluminum transmission case to the beast. A thing to note when I was learning to set the correct mesh between the motor pinion and the spur gear was that the gears were not even with each other. The motor pinion was recessed in towards the motor that only about 75% of the gear was making contact with the spur gear. It's a RTR and I guess its a rookie mistake that I never checked it before. I had to loosen the set screw and pull it out until it was lined up 100%. And guess what, there's less drag when pulling it to and fro now.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:26 AM   #39

We invaded Hollywood with the XL.

https://youtu.be/Kj8Vqrr50pY
Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #40

Got to run the XL with the 3 bearing mod installed in the front diff running on 6s and the best thing no breakages
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote

What Did You Do to Your Yeti XL Today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you do to/with your Yeti today? DTB1 Axial Yeti 348 11-30-2019 12:23 AM
Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far... rm25x Axial Yeti 309 02-10-2016 10:30 PM
just picked up a used Yeti XL today Megadesertdiesel Axial Yeti XL 14 05-21-2015 12:07 AM
Yeti captured today im gunna crawl Axial Yeti 4 08-28-2014 08:58 PM
I drove a Yeti today. Dirt51 Axial Yeti 1 07-12-2014 08:15 PM