Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Project RoadRash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project RoadRash

I think I paid $175 total for the motor and ESC. Little pricey, but much cheap than new. I ran the stock motor enough to know it wasn't really cutting it for the type of stuff I was trying to do.
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2014, 04:38 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Well I got a new power system coming for it...Looks like Im gonna be starting the build on this old girl.

I got the Novak Crusher with the 550 SC 6.5T motor coming. Picked it up from tower for $177 so it wasnt a bad buy.

Havent really seen any novak systems in a yeti yet. Im curious how the on board programming would play into the dual purpose aspect of the rig....
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Nice. I haven't seen anyone running the Novak on these either - although I've read a ton about them in the more crawler specific rigs. Is the one you got sensored?

I've got a motor on the way - older Pro4 I got used here on the forum. Curious how that will hold up. I also have been checking out the Xerun sensored motors which are damn cheap - but still get decent reviews.

Keep us updated on the build. This snow should prove interesting
Old 11-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Nice. I haven't seen anyone running the Novak on these either - although I've read a ton about them in the more crawler specific rigs. Is the one you got sensored?

I've got a motor on the way - older Pro4 I got used here on the forum. Curious how that will hold up. I also have been checking out the Xerun sensored motors which are damn cheap - but still get decent reviews.

Keep us updated on the build. This snow should prove interesting

Yes it is a a sensor'd unit. The other one they had they recommended for a yeti was a 540 can. The one I ended up getting is a 550 can. Should provide great torque and its 3400 Rpms/volt so it should be pretty quick too. Also should be more efficient than a 540 can. Looks like this setup is for 4x4 short course.

Had a long conversation with a buddy who runs a lot of different brushless setups, this is what he recommended me after a couple hours of talking. He is a tekin fan but I didn't want to spend that kind of money. He recommended to stay with the name brands and a 550 can.

Here is the link to the combo I got coming

http://teamnovak.com/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=553

The downside with this setup is that I'm stuck with Novak for motors if I want to use the crawling features. The upside is the profiles so, it should open up the multi purpose this rig has. Basher in the am, crawling by noon and u4 racing by the evening.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

That seems like a pretty cool system. The idea of switching in the field is perfect for this truck. The Tekin are expensive - but the used (last gen) price was good, so we'll see.

I need to make some snow chains!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #46
Rock Stacker

This rig looks awesome on instagram
My instagram is @ren_nobles
legoman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

I'm curious about this system myself...looking forward to your pics and thoughts on it
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman819 View Post
This rig looks awesome on instagram
My instagram is @ren_nobles

Thanks for the compliment!!

Start of the heart transplant, she's gonna be waiting a while lol old system being sold off!

After getting the motor out I thought I should check to make sure the new one will fit...

Stock vanguard can length is
2.5"

Novak ballastic 6.5t can length is
2.84"

What I got to work with....

Sorry I didn't use a caliper, it's out in the garage...tape should do.

You guys see the problem! Hahaha
Old 11-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Damn! Can you trim the battery tray? Or is it something else in the way there?

You keeping the stock servo?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Damn! Can you trim the battery tray? Or is it something else in the way there?

You keeping the stock servo?

Tomorrow you'll see how I plan on getting that monster in there.

For now I'm keeping it, like to upgrade to a Holmes Hobbies servo at some point.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

So originally I was looking at removing the spur gear cover and throwing in some aluminum spacers in between the motor plate and tansmission to give me a little more room for the larger motor. I didnt realize the trans had a step down and goes into the motor mount, which to me added the aluminum spaces wouldnt be as rugged. Plus the way the input shaft is designed the the back plate on the slipper unit would rub like crazy unless I was able to space it out with another spacer like what is found where the spur gear is. In short it was more work than what is was worth plus the reliability factor to me was a issue.

So long story short...canceled the order with the novak. I got the Mamba Max Pro coming with a Pro 4 HD 3000kv motor now. Ill just consider it a early xmas to myself haha
Old 11-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Im basically getting 2 things for xmas microsoft surface 2 $681 (including insurance and accessories) and an AXIAL YETI !!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Bummer. I was looking forward to hearing how you liked the Novak switchable system. Looks like you'll be happy though - everyone seems to live the combo you now have coming.

Let me know if you MMP whines like a b*tch.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman819 View Post
Im basically getting 2 things for xmas microsoft surface 2 $681 (including insurance and accessories) and an AXIAL YETI !!!!!!!
Niice!! The Yeti is a awesome rig! Some will talk crap about it all day (I think they are just jealous) but really in the end...its truly one of the my favorite RC's. What other rig can you go to the bmx track and jump/bash it and then go for a trail ride later??

Just watch out these things are money pits haha. But then again Im in no hurry on swapping every little piece out like most builds. besides the motor and esc I want to upgrade steering in general just to get it tighter. But other than that when something fails ill replace it.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
Niice!! The Yeti is a awesome rig! Some will talk crap about it all day (I think they are just jealous) but really in the end...its truly one of the my favorite RC's. What other rig can you go to the bmx track and jump/bash it and then go for a trail ride later??

Just watch out these things are money pits haha. But then again Im in no hurry on swapping every little piece out like most builds. besides the motor and esc I want to upgrade steering in general just to get it tighter. But other than that when something fails ill replace it.
Yea i already have a wraith that needs new rod ends for the steering linkage stripped one yesterday
Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
So originally I was looking at removing the spur gear cover and throwing in some aluminum spacers in between the motor plate and tansmission to give me a little more room for the larger motor. I didnt realize the trans had a step down and goes into the motor mount, which to me added the aluminum spaces wouldnt be as rugged. Plus the way the input shaft is designed the the back plate on the slipper unit would rub like crazy unless I was able to space it out with another spacer like what is found where the spur gear is. In short it was more work than what is was worth plus the reliability factor to me was a issue.

So long story short...canceled the order with the novak. I got the Mamba Max Pro coming with a Pro 4 HD 3000kv motor now. Ill just consider it a early xmas to myself haha
That's what I was afraid of coma. Looks like the Novak motor is a little longer with the bell on back....but on a positive note the mmp /tekin combo is the lick!!!!!! Seems like twice the power of the sticker and sersored is soooooo nice..just use your stock pinion and maybe upgrade to an HD ring and pinion in the rear axel..you Wil be very happy and it drops right in..I have pics up!
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasco View Post
That's what I was afraid of coma. Looks like the Novak motor is a little longer with the bell on back....but on a positive note the mmp /tekin combo is the lick!!!!!! Seems like twice the power of the sticker and sersored is soooooo nice..just use your stock pinion and maybe upgrade to an HD ring and pinion in the rear axel..you Wil be very happy and it drops right in..I have pics up!

It could of been done but that would of involved me turning out some spacers on a lathe. For a extra $70 for the mmp tekin combo it wasn't worth my time haha. Im going over to check them out now!!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Looking like the Yeti will be needing a winch for the 2015 King of the Scalers Series Anybody have any mounts they recommend? Any to stay away from?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:51 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

What winch will you use? I am lost when it comes to these things.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What winch will you use? I am lost when it comes to these things.

Would love the tizy winch but that's a pricey winch but very nice. I guess I gotta figure out what I can do with a 2 position 3rd channel first

Project RoadRash - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire project for pede project Mdlopez1 Non Crawler RC's 2 04-21-2013 06:30 PM