Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Project RoadRash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Project RoadRash

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Nice! Same setup here. Going to test it out hopefully later tonight.

Not fair!! I probably won't be bench testing until Monday Tuesday then probably won't be ready for install until next weekend, waiting on stuff to get here to waterproof it all
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Nice score coma. Definitely black and leave the road rash i mean scratches.

I just got my PL Cherokee body due to Dasco's amazing looking one. Might be a Christmas break project. I narrowed it down to one color. Orange is my go to.
I appreciat the compliments guy's!!�� my body is a Yeti hood with lexan sides and roof...thinking of doing a deadbolt body depending on how coma's turns out. Good work guy's.
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

I did follow Harley's how-to for waterproofing the motor (ESC I had done already). Seems like it should hold up fairly well. Running in the snow is almost worse than the water since I don't have a compressor at home.

By the end of a good long run there will be ice/snow packed in around the servo area that you could make a Snoopy Snow Cone....wait, that might be my way to pay for upgrades!
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Hahahhaah...good stuffstuff Moto. Try adding a piece of lexan under the finder well to deflect the snow...I'd bet a dollar it will work.

Last edited by dasco; 12-05-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Under where? Was that supposed to be "fender well?" Do you have an iPhone by chance? Siri!!!!!

I saw someone put some type of "wall" behind the shock tower I think. Standing vertically and with sorta wings angling back - not sure if that would prevent the snow because I can't really tell exactly how it's getting in there. Seems to be coming from EVERYWHERE based on the amount

I did have my interior off for quite a bit and finally got it back on (first model paint job since I'm 10 - 35 years!!!!). That seems to keep some of the crap off the ESC and motor at least.

I'm game to try some Lexan though. Any little bit will help.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Like this example...trimmed to fit and look goood

Old 12-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Sorry I have android HTC one. But if you do it like the pic above it should help out...I will see if I can make some to show you. Been wanting to any way...but I'm out of lexan
Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Gotcha. That seems like it could help. I'll try to find the photo of the other barrier I saw as well.

Seems like the android and the iPhone have the same spelling teacher!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Hahahahha they do...here's a better concept. it's just cardboard but you get the idea. Sorry for so many pics on your thread coma

It will mount to the tube fame over the tire. if that helps
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Yep, sorry Coma.

I like these ideas.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Default Project RoadRash

It's all good Moto I was just talking with Brian at work last night (I think I got him convinced to get a kit, I know I'm such a good friend bahaha) but with the deadbolt body being so much more square in the front I might try adding so wheel wells too. Won't really know if it would work or not. Just gotta get the body mounted up first.

No updates on the body, I was too much like a little kid at Christmas with the motor and esc hahaha
Old 12-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

I have to say, I now understand the difference between the sensored brushless and the stock motor. Of course I was hoping it wasn't just people NEEDING to upgrade for the sake of it - but tonight I saw firsthand what all the fuss is about.

Slow starts barely off neutral are a whole different ballgame. The snow made it difficult to truly test "crawl" but it seems obvious on 3S that it will have more low end grunt.

You should be very happy with your purchase.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

So the purchase of the deadbolt body was because of this particular yeti. Madskinz did one, when I was using this picture for reference I notice it actually isn't a deadbolt body. The deadbolt body a nvery narrow right at the bottom of the a pillars on the yeti cage. The rear "wings" I haven't figured out what I wanted to do with them yet. I'll figure it out as I gander at it.

So after I did some creative cutting and came up with this. What do you guys think?

Hoping the nose of the yeti cage isn't to noticeable. It has a downward slant compare to the hood line of the deadbolt.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

That looks like it could be rad. Is there any way to tie the angle of the hood to the yeti downslope? Room between the bumper and the tube frame?

I think it will still look good the way you have it now - but maybe that's an option of you're concerned about it?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

Looks good coma ..when you gonna paint it?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Does look very good. I would comp cut the grill until it matched the Yeti cage. Heck 85% of the body is gone anyhow. Oh and i would paint it orange.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That looks like it could be rad. Is there any way to tie the angle of the hood to the yeti downslope? Room between the bumper and the tube frame?

I think it will still look good the way you have it now - but maybe that's an option of you're concerned about it?

I think it will be alright. The clear body just throws the eyes differently. The bottom of the a pillar section is the tightest on the body. I wouldn't mind having the whole body slid back more but the more I go the tighter it is. If I cut below that node on the cage it would look like crap in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasco View Post
Looks good coma ..when you gonna paint it?

I will hopefully paint it Monday. I was gonna try to bust my butt and get the motor esc is but I'll probably wait until my conformal coating gets here and take my time with it. Just got to mark out where I want to bolt it to the cage and make the holes for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Does look very good. I would comp cut the grill until it matched the Yeti cage. Heck 85% of the body is gone anyhow. Oh and i would paint it orange.

I don't think I will comp cut it. The cowl bulge on the hood I think would throw the lines off. Also I think the tires will be okay on not rubbing. This is a stock deadbolt body on my scx10 and with my honcho lid I have less than a lug on the tire sticking out. I'll think this will hopefully be okay

The hood looks like it has a upward slop when it's on the chassis (the actual yeti) it's because the body mounts are not through the body yet so I had a slight wheelie effect. Also once it's bolted to the cage it will pull the hood line down a mm or two
Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

Default Project RoadRash

Been thinking on what do do for the rear driveshaft. I ended up going with a revo shaft. Cheap, strong and light. Also parts are available local so no waiting for shipping.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #119
Quarry Creeper

That certainly looks beefier!

Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That certainly looks beefier!

Let us know how it goes.

I've seen a few run this setup and has had no issues yet. Time will tell. Another $20 I would have a second one for a spare because of the 2nd shaft in the package. So $50 for 2 driveshafts. Not to shabby

Project RoadRash - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire project for pede project Mdlopez1 Non Crawler RC's 2 04-21-2013 06:30 PM