Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Project RoadRash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Project RoadRash

I acquired a yeti today.

Story behind the name you ask? Well we went to a scale comp last weekend and my buddy ended up trading his new falken scx10 for this yeti straight up. As we are leaving the tailgate fell down on the truck and out goes the yeti (probably about 40mph) after the hour drive is when we notice it was gone and turned around. Luckily someone we knew found it and was hanging onto it until we got back.

Damage was screw ripped through the stock wheel away from the hub, bent front axle shaft and some road rash. Then today my buddy says he wants to do the ifs on his wraith instead so I bought his yeti for $300 so he can fund the project.

It has vanquish hubs, bpc limit straps, vanquish upper rear links and metal turnbuckles...my buddy threw in a receiver that will work with my radio as well.

I plan on getting another wheel and shaft and just run it for the rest of the year until winter hits.

Then I'm planning on a full tear down. With new bearings, hardware, probably add 500k diff fluid, clean and lube everything. Have a new body coming already. I wanna get metal trailing arms, rpm front A arms, the vanquish steering upgrades and a sway bar disconnect. Gonna hold off on a new motor until the 2 speed comes out.

End goal I want to be able to take this thing on the trails but I would like to bash on it maybe even u4rc race it if we get a track around my area
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Project RoadRash

Nice.

Someone in the area has one too! Let's plan on building a U4 track in the spring. The town I live in could possibly donate land, and "supplies" for a track. I'm pretty tight with the city council.

Btw, my yeti is so reliable and fun, I almost considered to drive it at shred the ledge... Make the naysayers say damn.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I might have some access to some land. My buddy who is doing the ifs conversion has some land and we've been talking about it. But we want to build the indoor crawling course first.

But yes that's what I plan to do with this. Crawl
Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That yeti is a whore. lol 3 owners in 5 says. Axial needs to hurry up with a kit. I want to build one. Especially if we get a U4 racing around here.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Couldn't pass it up when he wanted to sell it
Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't blame you one bit. I would have bought it too.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Think the biggest cost is gonna be the sensored motor when I go to it. I should have this thing crawling by next season hahaha let the haters hate!!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #8

Are those XL Swampers? Hard to tell in the pic. Love the look of Swamper SX's on any off-road rig
Shadow Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default Project RoadRash

No these are regular swampers

These are 2.2 XLs

But I agree, the swampers just look so mean!!

Last edited by 802coma; 10-16-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey folks. Just grabbed a Yeti down at Hobby etc in Nashua today. Stumbled on this thread with all you Vermonters running them as well. Looking forward to getting to know this truck. Let me know if you all are ever meeting up local.
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Will do, I'll make posts here if I plan on anything. I'm real excited to start playing around with this thing. Just gotta finish my scx10 then this will be my new project!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looks like you got a great deal if it already has some upgrades.

I was looking for something with a little more zip and safer around water to balance out the losi crawler, and I hope the yeti fits the bill. Probably more zip than I need!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Looks like you got a great deal if it already has some upgrades.

I was looking for something with a little more zip and safer around water to balance out the losi crawler, and I hope the yeti fits the bill. Probably more zip than I need!

Yeah I'm waiting anxiously for the hi/low upgrade to come out. I got to drive it around on 2s, and my buddy said he drove it on 3s and it was nuts! Then he blew the pin hub out. I got the axial hub upgrade coming so I'll be swapping to hexes.

Looks like aluminum slw wheels will be in the future for this thing gonna hate spending that kind of $$$
Old 10-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I ordered the full VP hub kit from CKRC that swaps hubs/hexes. Hoping that's a nice simple fix and I can enjoy it for a bit. The rest of the improvements will come I'm sure, but it would be nice to get some time with it as-is, before the winter hits. Plenty of time for tearing down this winter.

Firing it up in the house to check RX/Tx setup was a bit terrifying on 3s!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I ordered the full VP hub kit from CKRC that swaps hubs/hexes. Hoping that's a nice simple fix and I can enjoy it for a bit. The rest of the improvements will come I'm sure, but it would be nice to get some time with it as-is, before the winter hits. Plenty of time for tearing down this winter.

Firing it up in the house to check RX/Tx setup was a bit terrifying on 3s!

You know axial is shipping out hubs and hex's for free?? Yeah that's my plan, I just want bomb around with it before winter hits. Hopefully the indoor rock course will be ready.

I bet it was something in the house on 3s. I don't like firing up the scx10 on the workbench to test that stuff hahaha
Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I didn't know that. Damn!!! Do you just have to shoot them an email?

Where is the indoor track going to be? Is be willing to lend a hand if you need help.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I didn't know that. Damn!!! Do you just have to shoot them an email?

Where is the indoor track going to be? Is be willing to lend a hand if you need help.

Yes just a email. Here is the link for the info they are looking for.

http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/1073909831

Indoor rock course is gonna be up in St.Albans area. We have a truck load of pallets coming so we can move it around and move outside during the summer months. This will allow us to keep changing it up. We want to even add water features lol
Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I also should add, it's very painless with the hubs. I bought my used and that wasn't a issue whatsoever
Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the link.

I can't lift a pallet, but I could help in any other way you need when you get to that point
Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Mwam, mwam, mwaaaaam.....

Had a weird color scheme come back on the ESC while calibrating the throttle. Called tech support and they instantly knew it was a bad ESC (seems they've been getting several reports). They offered to ship a new one immediately, but of course it will take 3-5 business days. Bummer.

Trying to be positive, they automatically threw in the hub upgrade to the package mentioned earlier

Project RoadRash - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire project for pede project Mdlopez1 Non Crawler RC's 2 04-21-2013 06:30 PM