Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Project RoadRash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project RoadRash

I know that some have their own remote - which I assume eliminates the need for an extra channel? I think those are pricey too. I had just started looking around.

Do you have a place lined up to install it?
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
I know that some have their own remote - which I assume eliminates the need for an extra channel? I think those are pricey too. I had just started looking around.

Do you have a place lined up to install it?

There are some mounts that places them right behind the front tower/bulkhead on the top plate and the line runs right through the front tower
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Aha. Very cool. At least it's a straight shot.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Aha. Very cool. At least it's a straight shot.

Here is a option from gear head rc

But I would almost rather go to a servo winch seeing it isn't going to be visible. Stronger, more powerful and more line. Like this...

This one is from TCS Crawlers. Only issue with this is you defiantly need a 3rd channel.

Both can be had for $15
Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

$15, or $115????
Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
$15, or $115????

$15 it's just the mount
Old 11-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #67
RCC Addict

I'm definitely going servo winch with that Gearhead mount.

Pretty slick.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
I'm definitely going servo winch with that Gearhead mount.

Pretty slick.

That gear head mount accepts servo winches?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
$15 it's just the mount
Ah. You'll make your own winch from a spare servo? The mount looks good.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

Good work coma...I'm about to see if I can shave weight somehow on my rig..it's starting to get a bit heavy (like it matters with the pro4) with all the aluminium lol
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Default Project RoadRash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasco View Post
Good work coma...I'm about to see if I can shave weight somehow on my rig..it's starting to get a bit heavy (like it matters with the pro4) with all the aluminium lol

Thanks Dasco!! Yeah I have had weight in the back of my mind as well. Think I'm not gonna upgrade until it breaks type method once I get the new power plant in and some better wheels and tires.

Speaking of wheels...just scored these locked up RC wheels with all the hardware and rings (only axial rings) for $50

Even have the scale hardware for the hubs
Old 11-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
That gear head mount accepts servo winches?
Ah no. Sorry. I thought it did, and would come with the fairlead... I will just cut a piece of delrin or aluminum flat stock I guess to mount the servo winch.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

My wheels came in today, they are beautiful! With them being reversible I semi mounted them on the yeti and looks like I will be able to run the same hubs just flip the rears for more offset!

I also went through and started working on suspension stuff. I found that you can't flip the stock a arms. Opie sent me a pic of his lower side of his rpm ones and doesn't look like they have the same issue. The most outer cross brace interferes with the hub carrier.

Also I found a bent hinge pin as well. I see someone used a 1/8" drill blank with a collar clamp to upgrade the weak stock ones. I'll hafta dig up that thread and post the link in here for reference.

I also went through and refreshed the shocks. The shocks sounded like there was a bunch of air in them and I had no clue what oil weight was in there.

Defiantly needed some new oil

I decided to try 30 wt in there for now. I also gonna try some old tmaxx springs I have kicking around, I also have some honcho springs so maybe I can setup some dual rates in the rear. Won't really know much until I get the new motor esc in to test different shock setups out.

Might make a small order for some items tonight and tomorrow I'll rebuild the trans and probably go through the diffs, see how motivated I am haha
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Which wheels did you end up getting? I'll be curious to see how the springs work out.

I was able to improve my rear suspension with some of the stiffer springs. But now it seems to bounce a bit much on straight shots across the large, bumpy grass at my buddy's place. Gonna try a set of some gmade shocks I picked up cheap. People seems to like them, so we'll see.

I got the axial diff locker to try out too. Found I needed it on some terrain, but of course not on others. Unfortunately it's a b*tch to get in there - but should be interesting to compare the locked front.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Which wheels did you end up getting? I'll be curious to see how the springs work out.

I was able to improve my rear suspension with some of the stiffer springs. But now it seems to bounce a bit much on straight shots across the large, bumpy grass at my buddy's place. Gonna try a set of some gmade shocks I picked up cheap. People seems to like them, so we'll see.

I got the axial diff locker to try out too. Found I needed it on some terrain, but of course not on others. Unfortunately it's a b*tch to get in there - but should be interesting to compare the locked front.

I believe they only put 15wt in the rears from the factory. Some heavier oil like 30wt should help to get rid of the bouncing.

What was in the front before? Stock? I'm gonna try the heavier diff fluid first.

I should have a big for sale post next week. Should help fund the yeti stuff.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Let us know what you have for sale here first.

I have 30wt in the back and front. I think 30 was the stock front already. I may need to set them up again. No bleeder hole doesn't help.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Oops I didn't answer your 1st question haha. I got a set of used "Locked up rc 2.2 Iconic" wheels. These are full aluminum, slw, easy mount (mount up like the non slw axial Beadlocks). I got the scale hardware with them for the hubs but only got axial rings. I will like to add a set of locked up rc rings eventually. Just haven't decide what ones yet haha.

I received them today, felt like I stole them. They are like new and even got extra scale hardware and a spare locking ring. No stripped holes. All for $50
Old 12-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Let us know what you have for sale here first.

I have 30wt in the back and front. I think 30 was the stock front already. I may need to set them up again. No bleeder hole doesn't help.

Yeah it took a little while to get them right. It was definitely messy haha. Mine barely start getting hard at full compression and when cycled quickly no bubble sounds. Should be good.

I'll hafta see what I'll have to sell. Might be a lot of "scale" items. I do not know yet. Hehehe
Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Well I'm not gonna be using the Locked Up RC wheels for the yeti. I'm gonna save these for a wroncho project that I'm starting to gather parts for.

Just ordered a set of the Mayhem Engineering 2.2 Monsters for a little more bling haha.

I CANCELED THE ORDER...DIDNT REALIZE THE HUBS WERE DIFFERENT THAN VP'S AND THE SMALLEST HUB IS A .450 TO WIDE FOR MY LIKING.

Last edited by 802coma; 12-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Very sweet.

Project RoadRash - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire project for pede project Mdlopez1 Non Crawler RC's 2 04-21-2013 06:30 PM